Forum Refusing to change post author

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Pangaea

Forum Refusing to change post author

Post by Pangaea »

Hi folks,
I seem to have a slight problem here. There are a number of post I want to change the post authors name to another user on my forum. I am the founder and have spend hours in both acp, and admin pannels on the forum trying to work out how to do this. If i change things in acp as soon as i refresh the page in acp, acp takes it uppon itself to overwirte what i choose back to the way it was. I have read a few threads on this issue but they are of little help, I am following them religiously yet nothing I do seems to have any effect whatsoever. Is it possible somone can post a basic "step by step" instructions on how to do this. I am using phpbb3.

Please note I have already read this:
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &p=4021455
about 10 times over, but its no help. Towards the end it get very technical, and Im totaly lost.

Hope somone can help
regards
pan

ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Re: Forum Refusing to change post author

Post by ric323 »

Couldn't you follow the description in one or the other of Kevin's first two posts?
If you don't see the buttons he describes, then you most likely do not have the appropriate moderator permissions to do this. Having Founder permissions does NOT give you all moderator permissions.
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions

Pangaea

Post by Pangaea »

i have set myself to access every last option i could find in acp, i still havet a clue how to do this, ive tryed making other accounts and setting different permiisions, nothing
im lost in a world of options, buttons, windows, i havent a clue.
by Kevin Clark » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:03 pm
Select that topic
Select the moderator control panel link at the top of the screen
Then at the top right of the post you want to change it says Post Details. Click that.
You'll now see the screen to change the poster name.
this option for me dose not exist. no matter who i am mod, admin, founder, forum, board..etc etc dosent exist.
by topdown » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:35 am
ACP > Permssions tab > Groups forum Permssions > Administrators > Highlight the forum or all of the forums >
From the top drop down Select Moderator permissions / Go > Advanced Permissions
then you should see it in the list
this ive done about 10 times now, with all accounts, no clue.

this thread is also no help to me
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... #p10871515

someties they are talking in reference to phpbb2... perhaps changing post autor isnt an available option with php3? ... anyway i cant work it out, the more I try the more confusing options and pannels, and windows i have to go thru, right now at this point i dunno what area im ment to be in the acp, what links to go to, there are so many windows in acp its hard to get lost. With respect to the moderator pannel on the forum itself, there is no opion to change post author.

The only thing i can do at this point is litterly delete all 20 or so post and make them all again one by one.
thats is the only thing i can work out how to do.
If somone perhaps has a mod for this issue please direct me to a link or something

thanks
pan

EDIT:
ok somone just mentioned to me that if i change my name to something else, then log out, log in with the persons i want to change to posts to. get him to change his name to mine. then get him to log out. Then finaly i log back in with my temp name and change name to the posts i need to change author to. Then edit a post say with a "." , then submit. repeat the step above to swaps names back. But I tried this and the post topic autor still didnt change, only last edited by, on..etc etc.. perhaps im doing the squence wrong?

ric323
Former Team Member

Post by ric323 »

This post in the topic you linked to describes exactly how to enable this option for everyone in your "Administrators" group.
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... #p10310255
topdown wrote:ACP > Permssions tab > Groups forum Permssions > Administrators > Highlight the forum or all of the forums >
From the top drop down Select Moderator permissions / Go > Advanced Permissions
then you should see it in the list
In more detail:
Go into your ACP
Click on the "Permissions" tab
Click on the "Groups forum Permissions" link in the left column
Select "Administrators" in the dropdown (it is probably already selected)
Click the "Submit" button
Select the forums you want to enable this in in the dropdown
Click the "Submit" button
After "Select type" change the dropdown from "Forum permissions" to "moderator permissions"
Click "Go"
Click on "Advanced permissions"
On the "Post actions" tab, change "Can chnge post author" from "No" to "Yes"
Click "Apply permissions"

If it doesn't work, and you selected lots of forums, try doing it in small batches of forums at a time.
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.

Pangaea

Post by Pangaea »

hi ric323
Just to start by saying thankyou for your help and patiants.

The steps you have layed out above are alot better then the forums ive been checking, however i have already gone thru thoses steps 10 times or more.

everything was already set to on. there was nothing off
further more, when i go to user permmisons and look for myself (founder - site admin..etc)
All the access is set there too.
ie.
User permissions: All features
Global Moderator permissions: Full Moderator
Administrative permissions: Full Admin

Belive me im doing everything right here, im following everyones instructions slowly and with care as not to make a mistke.

2 thoughts
1. perhaps im using an odd version of phpbb3 "
Current version

2. May it have something to do with the recent issue about {text} vulnerabilities, perhaps my forum has been messed with in someway?

anyway ive done all i can.. later today i will make a video of what im doing, so you can all clearly see im doing everything correctly.

ps. and yes im not trying to do this for multiple forums, its only one forum, with about 20 post in there i want to change to a diff autoer on each post

ric323
Former Team Member

Post by ric323 »

The only other possibility is if you have set a NEVER permission somewhere which is applying to you.
You can determine this by using the "Permission mask" feature on yourself.

ACP -> Permissions tab
View forum moderation permissions
Select a typical forum, and click submit
In the "Look up user" box, enter your own username, and click submit.
On the next screen, does "Can change post author" show as "Yes", or as "Never"?

If it is "Never", click on the little circle with a right pointing arrow to the left of the "Can change post author" text, and it will show you a table revealing where that "Never" permission came from.

Pangaea

Post by Pangaea »

Hi :)

Everything in there is showing a bright green filled box under the "yes coloum" on all tabs.
I assme this means they are all on.
Also....
* View administrative permissions = all on (green filled boxes under the "yes coloum" on every tab
* View user-based permissions = all on (green filled boxes under the "yes coloum" on every tab
* View global moderation permissions = all on (green filled boxes under the "yes coloum" on every tab
* View forum moderation permissions = all on (green filled boxes under the "yes coloum" on every tab

one thing i did notice while still in the " View global moderation permission" section.. when i click that link on the left hand side i seclect the forum in question then i am presesnded with 2 windows, the left window has 2 users in there, but not my name.. when i click the find member under that and choose my name, it brings me to another window, with all the things on (green filled boxes under the "yes coloum" on every tab
but there is no submit button to add my name in the box to the previous window (option dialog). could this be where the problem is?

EDIT: its the same case with the * View forum-based permissions = all on (green filled boxes under the "yes coloum" on every tab but my name isnt in the list of the 2 box window dialog.

on

# View administrative permissions
# View user-based permissions
# View global moderation permissions

those have my name in there.

please note when im refaring to
# View administrative permissions
# View user-based permissions
# View global moderation permissions
# View forum moderation permissions
# View forum-based permissions

im in the # Permission masks area not anyother area

another thought.. like the mouse image bleed issue, could this be a styles specific bug / issue?
Last edited by Pangaea on Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

ric323
Former Team Member

Post by ric323 »

Pangaea wrote:...
one thing i did notice while still in the " View global moderation permission" section.. when i click that link on the left hand side i seclect the forum in question then i am presesnded with 2 windows, the left window has 2 users in there, but not my name.. when i click the find member under that and choose my name, it brings me to another window, with all the things on (green filled boxes under the "yes coloum" on every tab
but there is no submit button to add my name in the box to the previous window (option dialog). could this be where the problem is?
No, that just means you are getting your permissions via group membership rather than by direct assignment to your username.
You should avoid EVER assigning permissions drectly to a username. They are much easier to manage if you do it all via usergroups.

ric323
Former Team Member

Post by ric323 »

Pangaea wrote:...
No, that just means you are getting your permissions via group membership rather than by direct assignment to your username.
You should avoid EVER assigning permissions drectly to a username. They are much easier to manage if you do it all via usergroups.

Pangaea

Post by Pangaea »

Ah, thanks ric, duely noted.

Can i assume at this point there is no solution to this for me? ive already spend perhaps 4 to 5 hours solid trying to fix this. If its a case that this is just simply impossble to do ide rather stop right now, and delete all the posts in question, email them to the person i want the posts to be by so he can make them one by one.
Then i can put out a warning to all mods etc on the forum to be VERY careful with posting as there is no way to change the authors name exept by deleting the post and getting whoever to make the post themselves.

is this a sensible conclusion? i just dont want to be here hours later still with no fix only to be told by somone its impossoble to do on phpbb3 , or the style i using. or what ever.

Just a final note. could this be something to do with the {text} thing.. im now extreamly concerned that the reason why i cant do this is beacuse somone has hacked into my forum in somewhy and messed about with the permissions or settings. ?

for the time being this issue is being filed away under "impossible to fix" ... unless somone has a mod out there that can help me change the author of a post

thanks again
pan

ric323
Former Team Member

Post by ric323 »

This shouldn't be impossible.
If you're prepared to send me an admin login account, I'll have a look and try to fix it for you if you like.

Cpt. Blackbeard

Post by Cpt. Blackbeard »

Changing the post author is very simple. On my Black Pearl board there is a little Blue Icon on the lower right next to the Report post button. Click it, Enter the name of the New Poster and submit. You don't even need to use the MCP, the button is on the post if you have permission to use it.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Taking a look at your style, each post in Viewtopic should have a row of buttons: edit, delete, report, warn, info, quote.

Click the "info" button. That info form should have a "change author" section.

Pangaea

Post by Pangaea »

Brf » magic

Im simply sick and gutted that i didnt click that tiny tiny little question mark icon (style i use easy to miss). once i clicked that, there low and behold a simple dialog to change post author... no need for acp or anything else.. it was like almost staring me in the face yet not staring me in the face :/ if that makes much sence.

anyway, wonderful, thats all i needed.

and thakyou Brf, ric, and the others for the help

regards
pan

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”