Problem with encoding...

Having a question about translating phpBB3? Want to discuss and collaborate with people currently translating phpBB3? Here would be the correct place to do so.
Scam Warning
rumensoft

Problem with encoding...

Post by rumensoft »

Hi, I have this problem: Image
In this case, have to be name: Български (Bulgarian), but it's look like problem with encoding. Any idea?
Thanks!
ameeck
Former Team Member

Re: Problem with encoding...

Post by ameeck »

Looks like some file is not uf8 encoded. Have you made any changes to language files?
rumensoft

Post by rumensoft »

ameeck wrote:Looks like some file is not uf8 encoded. Have you made any changes to language files?
No, I never change the file inside (folder "forum"). I check some page and they are with UTF-8.
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul »

Did you use fantastico to install your board?
rumensoft

Post by rumensoft »

Yes, I use fantastico. It's was easy :)
tzampatzis
Translator
Name: Panos

Post by tzampatzis »

So that's why you have a problem. Fantastico encodes the dtabase in utf8_general_ci. The phpBB system uses only utf8_bin encoding. You can go and change that in you phpMyAdmin at the Operations tab.

Somewhere says collation and you change that to utf8_bin and then you press the Go button. But i think that the problem is i all tables. So search the whole database for tables encoded other than utf8_bin and correct them.
ameeck
Former Team Member

Post by ameeck »

tzampatzis wrote:So that's why you have a problem. Fantastico encodes the dtabase in utf8_general_ci. The phpBB system uses only utf8_bin encoding. You can go and change that in you phpMyAdmin at the Operations tab.

Somewhere says collation and you change that to utf8_bin and then you press the Go button. But i think that the problem is i all tables. So search the whole database for tables encoded other than utf8_bin and correct them.
Actually that's not correct. utf8_general_ci and utf8_bin define the collation. The main difference between them is how MySQL sorts data. Both use utf8 to store and serve data.

Fantastico does not encode the fields as utf8 at all :)
rumensoft

Post by rumensoft »

I tried everything but it is same problem

Return to “[3.0.x] Translations”