Discuss: Blog "Moving on - the future of phpBB development"

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
naderman
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Nils Adermann

Discuss: Blog "Moving on - the future of phpBB development"

Post by naderman »

Hey everyone!

I expect this blog post might result in quite a lot of discussion so we decided not to allow comments on the blog, but have the discussion take place here.

The blog post: http://blog.phpbb.com/2010/02/18/moving ... velopment/
I appreciate gifts from my Amazon wishlist.
naderman.de twitter: @naderman
idiotnesia
Name: Pungky Putra

Re: Discuss: Blog "Moving on - the future of phpBB developme

Post by idiotnesia »

It seems there will be a lot of changes in the near future. Can hardly wait to see it.
Anyway, will phpbb 3.0.x also use git?
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

All phpBB repository management will move to git.
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish
tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Post by tbackoff »

Wow. I do have a question though. What features are currently "decided on" for phpBB 3.1? Specifically, I'm asking if the listed presented here under "Planned Features" and "Smaller Planned Features" still applies (minus the features that were added to 3.0.6).
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.
ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

t_backoff wrote:Specifically, I'm asking if the listed presented here under "Planned Features" and "Smaller Planned Features" still applies (minus the features that were added to 3.0.6).
No reason why not, each enhancement has merit, we just won't be adding all of them in 3.1. ;)
Chris SmithGitHub
Desdenova

Post by Desdenova »

Is there a single page or topic with the planned 3.1 features so far?
ToonArmy
Former Team Member

Post by ToonArmy »

Desdenova wrote:Is there a single page or topic with the planned 3.1 features so far?
No, we might blog what we intend later. But as Nils detailed a number of things will be worked on, but not all of them might make the deadline.
Chris SmithGitHub
imkingdavid
Former Team Member
Name: David King

Post by imkingdavid »

Hmmm I'm not liking the idea of the plugin system for phpBB4. Yes, it will make it more user friendly for most, which is good, but I for one still like exploring the code and changing it around manually. Will that still be possible on top of plugins or will doing so break the plugin functionality? Just wondering; maybe I'm not understanding it clearly.
Don't forget to smile today. :)
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Prince of phpbb

Post by Prince of phpbb »

imkingdavid wrote:Hmmm I'm not liking the idea of the plugin system for phpBB4. Yes, it will make it more user friendly for most, which is good, but I for one still like exploring the code and changing it around manually. Will that still be possible on top of plugins or will doing so break the plugin functionality? Just wondering; maybe I'm not understanding it clearly.
Your comment is much like someone saying.. I don't like Synaptic Package Manager in Ubuntu because I like compiling my own sources use make commands! Plug-in system in phpBB4 makes it easier for people (yes, humans, its a race located on planet Earth, likes automizing things) to add/remove plug-ins. You can still go about exploring code as much as you want because it is all there :)
Pasqualle

Post by Pasqualle »

this plan is perfect, and congratulation on the lead developer position.
you may create new positions per version. developer who leads the development of the given phpBB version. "version maintainer; co-maintainer" or something similar..
Oleg
Former Team Member

Post by Oleg »

The announcement seems very promising. Did I correctly understand that phpbb wants to see non-bug fix patches submitted from the community? I.e. feature additions and architectural changes.
Participate in phpBB development: Get involved | Issue tracker | Report a bug | Development board | [url=irc://chat.freenode.net/phpbb-dev]Development IRC chat[/url]
My stuff: mindlinkgame.com
dizzi

Post by dizzi »

There are plenty of positive points mentioned in the announcement - encouraging increased community participation in the core development process and clearly defined goals for a better phpBB - superb :). No my following point have surfaced before but I wish to suggest that the system's name be separated from the version number :). We should simply use phpBB (instead of phpBBX) and allow persons to state the full relevant version (preceded by a space of course) where required.

Congrats on the lead developer appointment - keep up the excellent work!
naderman
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Nils Adermann

Post by naderman »

nn- wrote:The announcement seems very promising. Did I correctly understand that phpbb wants to see non-bug fix patches submitted from the community? I.e. feature additions and architectural changes.
Yes, absolutely. Of course they will have to meet our coding standards and goals, we will not just accept any MOD turned into a patch ;-)
I appreciate gifts from my Amazon wishlist.
naderman.de twitter: @naderman
ToonArmy
Former Team Member

Post by ToonArmy »

dizzi wrote:We should simply use phpBB (instead of phpBBX) and allow persons to state the full relevant version (preceded by a space of course) where required.
Most of the time it's written phpBB X.Y(.Z) but quite often that's compressed when just the X is used.
Chris SmithGitHub
MattF
Extensions Development Coordinator
Extensions Development Coordinator
Name: Matt Friedman

Post by MattF »

Would the plans to move phpBB4 over to a more object-oriented and 3rd party framework based system make Mod authoring and customizing less accessible to entry-level php coders?
Formerly known as VSEMy ExtensionsPlease do not PM me for support.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”