MOD Validation Status

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
asinshesq
Name: Alan

Post by asinshesq »

NoahK wrote: ...In the meantime you could always submit your mod over at phpbbhacks, and ask for peoples feedback and opinions until it finally gets validated here.

Or submit it here: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=16
smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll »

asinshesq wrote:
NoahK wrote:...In the meantime you could always submit your mod over at phpbbhacks, and ask for peoples feedback and opinions until it finally gets validated here.

Or not...

Anyone who attempts that will end up with a locked topic, sorry, but thats cheating. The forum is for MOD DEVELOPMENT, NOT MOD Releases.
Systems Engineering
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

smithy_dll wrote:
asinshesq wrote:
NoahK wrote:...In the meantime you could always submit your mod over at phpbbhacks, and ask for peoples feedback and opinions until it finally gets validated here.

Or not...

Anyone who attempts that will end up with a locked topic, sorry, but thats cheating. The forum is for MOD DEVELOPMENT, NOT MOD Releases.

Thanks for the heads up, but it does confuse me.

That area is for 'Mod Development" and people post new mods there to alpha and beta test them before they get validated. I gather I'm missing something here...could you let me know which posts in that area are kosher and which are not?
Crogon

Post by Crogon »

Just my 2 cents, but that does sound pretty harsh. Why can't they post in mod development? They should be able to. Well, in my opinion. How many mods are stuck in the que?? and for months and months on end? Ten months ago.. that's like, what, 3 or 4 versions back?

That's just silly, if I'm looking for a mod that does a particular function, I don't want to wait umpteen months for it.

The bottom line is that if you don't let them post it here, they'll just take it elsewhere, which is a total pain in the @$$! How many phpbb mod and style forums are there out there? I've probably been to 20 big ones that I can remember. God knows how many I had to hunt down just to find one tiny mod. If they can't post here, they will go elsewhere, which splits up the community and makes it a pain in the rear for everybody.

Besides, how are they supposed to know if it will get released? Technically, it's still beta until the staff approves it anyway.

Ok, I guess I'm done ranting. I know it's only my opinion, but I do think I'm right.

p.s. btw, I still haven't heard back from nuttzy yet.
Cross_+_Flame

Post by Cross_+_Flame »

I think smithy's wording implies that if you have done a mod and are not gonna do anything further to it, or allow people to beta-test it, then no, don't post it in the Beta Development. *BUT* if you are interested in people's feedback or tweaking, then go ahead.

The Beta Dev forum is for community involvement in the creation of your mod; if you aren't interested in development, and are just interested in publishing it without trying to get it to the highest standards (which is phpbb's) then go elsewhere.
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

Crogon wrote: ...How many phpbb mod and style forums are there out there? I've probably been to 20 big ones that I can remember....

Do tell (please). I know about phphackers, but what other places should I be going to to find cool stuff?
wGEric
Former Team Member
Name: Eric Faerber

Post by wGEric »

Crogon wrote: Just my 2 cents, but that does sound pretty harsh. Why can't they post in mod development? They should be able to. Well, in my opinion.

The MOD Development forum isn't for you to release your MOD. Its for you to get feedback on your MOD while you are developing it. If it is stable, it needs to go in the Database. Its not in development, so it shouldn't be in the development forum.
How many mods are stuck in the que?? and for months and months on end? Ten months ago.. that's like, what, 3 or 4 versions back?

That's just silly, if I'm looking for a mod that does a particular function, I don't want to wait umpteen months for it.

We are doing the best we can with what resources we have. All of us are volunteers so we can only look at MODs during our free time. Most of us have jobs or a family so phpBB isn't our number one priority.
The bottom line is that if you don't let them post it here, they'll just take it elsewhere, which is a total pain in the @$$! How many phpbb mod and style forums are there out there? I've probably been to 20 big ones that I can remember. God knows how many I had to hunt down just to find one tiny mod. If they can't post here, they will go elsewhere, which splits up the community and makes it a pain in the rear for everybody.

I really don't care if authors go other places. phpBB.com is only for the best authors that want their MODs to be secure and be of top quality. phpBB.com is known for our safe and secure MODs.
Besides, how are they supposed to know if it will get released? Technically, it's still beta until the staff approves it anyway.

Its only in beta as along as the author feels it should be in beta. Its not up to us.
Ok, I guess I'm done ranting. I know it's only my opinion, but I do think I'm right.

p.s. btw, I still haven't heard back from nuttzy yet.

He's busy right now so don't expect anything soon.

asinshesq wrote: Do tell (please). I know about phphackers, but what other places should I be going to to find cool stuff?

Please don't post these other places. Spam is not allowed according to rule 1j.
Last edited by wGEric on Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric
0racle

Post by 0racle »

If a MOD has been approved here you know it is of the highest quality :)

Though I'm interested by those threads that claim to be "beta" threads when right next to them they have version (1.3.2) or something like that... you'd expect a BETA mod to have version 0.0.X, 0.X.X or X.X.Xb, not an actual release version number :D
battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye »

0racle wrote: Though I'm interested by those threads that claim to be "beta" threads when right next to them they have version (1.3.2) or something like that... you'd expect a BETA mod to have version 0.0.X, 0.X.X or X.X.Xb, not an actual release version number :D

Now you tell me 8O
Coming from a newbie Mod-Author, I wasn't sure what to make my Beta MOD version, I decided on v1.0.x and I'm sure that's what many other people do :? :)
Customisations Team Member

https://github.com/battye/php-array-parser - Give it a Star! :D
ycl6

Post by ycl6 »

Hi battye, you can read this for more info

Any MOD submitted to MOD db need to have a version number of or greater than 1.0.0

~Mac
battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye »

does the same apply to beta mods, ie: the beta topic in my sig, yesterday i added a huge new feature, so instead of being v1.0.1 it should be 1.1.0? I thought when Y was odd it meant developmental version whereas an even Y means stable??

Can you please help me with that :?

*Thanks for the link :wink: *
Customisations Team Member

https://github.com/battye/php-array-parser - Give it a Star! :D
Crogon

Post by Crogon »

phpbb is the only place i've heard of that uses that odd and even number system. You would go from 1.1 to 1.2 (for instance) if you added a 'major' or new feature to the software in question. :)

asinshesq - go to google and search for phpbb mod or phpbb download. ;) Oh yeah, try phpbb style and phpbb template too. :)

wGEric - I hope that doesn't get taken the wrong way. Of course, I think everything should be developed fully, and be error free and etc. I just think it would be nice if you would allow everyone a place to put their mod while it was getting approved. I understand everythings voluntary, I volunteer what help I can myself. :) I just don't like to see people being told they can't post it here. Just doesn't make much sense, but maybe that's me. Even well intentioned projects die out, it doesn't make much sense to close the door on people who are willing to lend a hand.

Anyway, if they were allowed to post it, perhaps people would find those issues that you guys end up weeding out. Just imagine if 95% of the mods were error free, how much faster the approval process would be for you guys. :D I understand there are quite a few mods that get turned down 3-4 times. let the community do the groundwork, then all you guys would have to do is give it a final approval. :D

I have the utmost respect for everyone involved with phpbb, please don't think otherwise. :)

EDIT: I got it!! How about a 'Waiting for approval' forum? :D :D :D
wGEric
Former Team Member
Name: Eric Faerber

Post by wGEric »

Crogon, there will be no more forums added. There is the RC status that MODs can be. It is still considered development but close to release.
Eric
markus_petrux
Former Team Member

Post by markus_petrux »

hmm.... is it possible to create a "public view" of the "MODSDB queue"? (if such thing exists)... That would save time to everyone.

EasyMOD Standards | MOD Template Actions | MODs in Development Rules
Useful information for MOD Authors | MOD Queue Stats | Search MODs
Write SQL/DDL portable to all SQL servers supported by phpBB!
Get EasyMOD 0.3.0! | Suport al phpBB en Català!
8)
smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll »

markus_petrux wrote: hmm.... is it possible to create a "public view" of the "MODSDB queue"? (if such thing exists)... That would save time to everyone.

nope, not gonna happen, very hard to do with the current setup

There will be no new forums any time soon. We're meant to be scaling back not adding.

As you can see by looking at the BETA forum there are dozens of "SUBMITTED" threads, these will be allowed until we are confident we can get the MOD Queue validation turn around period for any single MOD down to a few working days (of course unoffically allowed, turn a blind eye).

I want to assue everyone that ycl6 is doing an amazing job with wgeric and the queue has rapidly decreased in length over the past week. So expect more action from the MOD Team, we however are still looking for new validators, if you fit the build and are interested please read the sticky topic in MOD Author Support forum,

Fairly soon we will clarify the rules of the beta forum and the versioning requirements which will mimic those of phpBB2 more closely, which is the versioning system used by the linux kernel.

I hope I've answered everyones questions.

thank you,

p.s. I think the involvement of a team such as the MOD Team in not only fostering development, but also making standards etc... a good thing for the whole phpBB MODding community. Just look around you, how many other boards have a modding community as advanced as we do? Not many (if any), I believe we are the only to have a MOD submission and approval system, as well as a (almost) perfectly structured MOD Template which allows for some pretty advanced MODding and for us to have scripts such as EasyMOD.
Systems Engineering

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”