Need to reset password, but no longer have access to email.

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Terrah

Need to reset password, but no longer have access to email.

Post by Terrah »

I have an old forum that I installed shortly after version 3 came out. It can be found here: http://www.srstudios.org/oldforums/

I stopped using my website for awhile, and never really picked it up but I'm ready now to begin using it again.

When I registered the admin account on that board, I used an email address that was tied to the website. It was [email protected] however, I've changed the domain name since then and began using Gmail for my email address. I stopped paying for the old website name and moved everything over to a new domain, so I no longer have access to that email address.

I can't remember the admin accounts password since it was created so long ago, and since I no longer have access to my original email address, I can't recover it.

Is there any other way for me to recover my password? Or perhaps a way to create another admin account so that I can manually change the password myself? I really, really, really don't want to reinstall another copy of forums onto the server. I already started doing that, but I'm using my boyfriend's server space for my website and he can't remember how to get to the information needed to finalize the installation. I'm sure he could figure it out if he tried enough, but I'd rather try this first before being a bother to him.

Please let me know if there's anything I can do to use this already installed version and get my account back. I can do whatever is needed to prove that the site belongs to me. Also, I don't mind if the answer means that I'll have to lose all my members/topics/etc, because as you can tell, it's all old and not very developed at all. I just want to start over fresh without having to reinstall.

Thank you so much for your time.
stickerboy
Former Team Member
Name: Kenny Cameron

Re: Need to reset password, but no longer have access to ema

Post by stickerboy »

Try the Support Toolkit - http://www.phpbb.com/support/stk/ :)
I'm a web-designing code-decrypting tech-support musician
|| Twitter || Flickr || phpBB Snippets ||
Formerly known as cherokee red
HGN
Former Team Member
Name: Alfred

Post by HGN »

The support toolkit also requires admin login.

In phpmyadmin, run the following, which will create an admin user named admin1 with a password of admin. From that point you should be able to get into the ACP. Change your table prefix if it is not phpbb_.

Code: Select all

INSERT INTO phpbb_users (user_type, group_id, username, username_clean, user_regdate, user_password, user_email, user_lang, user_style, user_rank, user_colour, user_posts, user_permissions, user_ip, user_birthday, user_lastpage, user_last_confirm_key, user_post_sortby_type, user_post_sortby_dir, user_topic_sortby_type, user_topic_sortby_dir, user_avatar, user_sig, user_sig_bbcode_uid, user_from, user_icq, user_aim, user_yim, user_msnm, user_jabber, user_website, user_occ, user_interests, user_actkey, user_newpasswd) VALUES (3, 5, 'Admin1', 'admin1', 0, '21232f297a57a5a743894a0e4a801fc3', '[email protected]', 'en', 1, 1, 'AA0000', 1, '', '', '', '', '', 't', 'a', 't', 'd', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '');
Change the password or remove the user after you accessed the board, since everybody may know now you created this admin account. ;)
stickerboy
Former Team Member

Post by stickerboy »

It has a built in method to handle that though - specifically if you forgot your login details
http://www.phpbb.com/support/stk/screenshots.php
2nd one down ;)
HGN
Former Team Member
Name: Alfred

Post by HGN »

You are completely right. I am sorry for bypassing you with my posts. I never used that option in the STK and recalled a user that was not able to get access back to the ACP even with the STK, but probably my memory isn't what it has been. :roll:
Terrah

Post by Terrah »

Thanks so much for your help so far! However, I'm not exactly the smartest person when it comes to internet stuff..

After I download the STK, do I upload it to my site in a directory named "/stk" through an FTP client, or does it need to be uploaded to the actual server database? My boyfriend handles all of the server stuff. I only know how to do things through FTP and the directions on the STK page aren't exactly laid out clear enough for me..
stickerboy
Former Team Member

Post by stickerboy »

Upload the stk folder to where your forums files are held, so you can then access it like: http://www.yourforum.com/stk/ from your browser
ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Post by ric323 »

Terrah wrote:...
After I download the STK, do I upload it to my site in a directory named "/stk" through an FTP client, or does it need to be uploaded to the actual server database? My boyfriend handles all of the server stuff. I only know how to do things through FTP and the directions on the STK page aren't exactly laid out clear enough for me..
When you are looking at the STK pages, there are a set of links on the right for further information, including "Support Toolkit Installation/Updating", which takes you to:
http://www.phpbb.com/support/stk/index.php?mode=install
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions
Terrah

Post by Terrah »

Ahhh, okay, thanks. Sorry for being a little slow here. :C

One more question. When trying to creating the "stk" directory in my forums directory, my FTP client tells me that permission was denied. :/

I recently reinstalled Windows 7 on my computer and this is the first time I've used my FTP client since then so I assumed I did something wrong, but I checked and I can make a folder in any of my directories except the forums directory.

Is there a way that I can change the settings so I can add folders into the forums directory?

When I go into the permissions for the folder, it says:

User: Read, Write, Execute
Group: Read, Execute
World: Read, Execute

When I change these, and hit ok, going back to look at it, it doesn't save. Not sure if that's related at all.
ric323
Former Team Member

Post by ric323 »

Are you talking about the forums folder on your web server?
Are you hosting this web site on your own PC, or on a commercial web service?
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
Terrah

Post by Terrah »

I bought the domain from GoDaddy.com but I don't think it's hosted there. It's hosted on my boyfriend's server. So I guess I'll have to go to them which probably wont happen because he probably wont feel like telling me how. :/

Thanks for your help anyway! At least I know how to get my forums back if I ever figure out how to get permission to make folders in my forums directory.
ric323
Former Team Member

Post by ric323 »

You have to speak to whoever set up that server.
It sound like they have given you restricted permissions yourself.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”