phpBB vs. vBulletin

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
cspielman

phpBB vs. vBulletin

Post by cspielman »

I'm a consultant evaluating forum products for my client and we have it narrowed down to phpBB and vBulletin. This is a general question, but does anybody have definitive opinions of which one is better and why?
AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Re: phpBB vs. vBulletin

Post by AdamR »

I think you'll find a general consensus on the phpBB community forums that we're rather biased towards phpBB. ;)

All in all, your best option would be to try each out and see which you prefer. Each community has its own needs. If phpBB suits your needs (which for most, it does perfectly well), then all the better. If vBulletin works better for you, then it's the better option.

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Yes, it really depends on what features and capabilities are important to you, and whether you want a paid, closed source solution or a free, open source one.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Ephemeraboy
Name: Bernando Bona Tius Sianipar

Post by Ephemeraboy »

test both
then U will conclude what is the best in your opinion...
after that
Choose that
simple..isn't it..??
My diary, my notepad, and my life on
http://www.bonatius.com
Desdenova

Post by Desdenova »

Ephemeraboy wrote:test both
then U will conclude what is the best in your opinion...
after that
Choose that
simple..isn't it..??
Not exactly legal to do a full-scale test of vBulletin without buying it first. ;)
igorw
Former Team Member
Name: Igor Wiedler

Post by igorw »

Igor Wiedler | area51 | GitHub | trashbin | Formerly known as evil less than three
arod-1

Post by arod-1 »

there are many matrices that compare features.
i do believe that these two products are pretty much comparable regarding to features, but you can check it here:
http://www.forummatrix.org/compare/phpBB+vBulletin

warning: the feature matrix may not be 100% up to date, but it's sure very close.
i also believe that any significant feature found on one but not on the other (and many that exist on neither) can further be implemented with the use of MODs.

unfortunately, to this day i was not able to find any serious comparison that relates to performance. fwiw, i believe that these two packages lag pretty far behind phorum as far as performance is concerned, altthough i can not back it up by evidence.
if you'll find any good comparative data wrt performance, i will be grateful if you could post it here, or better yet, post a link to the actual source.

peace.
Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

arod-1 wrote: unfortunately, to this day i was not able to find any serious comparison that relates to performance.
That's because performance is too subjective, whereas a straight list of features is to-the-facts and objective.
Desdenova

Post by Desdenova »

eviL<3 wrote:*cough*
That's just the admin panel though, not a demo of the entire board. :P
wmtipton

Post by wmtipton »

cspielman wrote:I'm a consultant evaluating forum products for my client and we have it narrowed down to phpBB and vBulletin. This is a general question, but does anybody have definitive opinions of which one is better and why?
I havent used Vbulletin, but I have used a number of other forum options, some very popular ones, and I always end up coming back to phpBB because it just seems to be the best there is at what it does.
I dont think your client will be in any way sorry for choosing phpBB3 :)
mysql database backup software - mysql Workbench
carloclaessen

Post by carloclaessen »

i started comparing also but stopped after the first compare on the index page

phpBB 3 $0---vbulletin $195

nah just kidding around here, the advice is indeed best to test the official demo site vbulletin and compare it with a phpbb 3 installed locally or on your host, or get a free host to install it in case you dont have a domain self.

However as mentioned here most people would tell on this board to go for phpbb as logic it is, future based i dont think it makes huge differences, whats not standard in phpbb 3 there probably a mod for around and same goes for vbulletin.

if its safety based dont let you misslead by if i pay for it its safe, the disclaimer of vbulletin still tells that bugs are possible and that its your responsibillity to keep backups and stuff.

same for phpbb.
Generator2009

Post by Generator2009 »

Desdenova wrote:
There are hundreds of vB forums out there if you really must experience the vB thing, every vB forum online is a demo of the front-end isn't it?
Desdenova

Post by Desdenova »

Generator2009 wrote:
Desdenova wrote:
There are hundreds of vB forums out there if you really must experience the vB thing, every vB forum online is a demo of the front-end isn't it?
Moderator powers are not available to be tested, and that's something I would consider, as well.

Besides, in the admin demo, there's bunch of switches...you don't get to see what they do, and how they change how the board works.
igorw
Former Team Member
Name: Igor Wiedler

Post by igorw »

Desdenova wrote:That's just the admin panel though, not a demo of the entire board. :P
Wrong, you get a full board.
Igor Wiedler | area51 | GitHub | trashbin | Formerly known as evil less than three
Stallyon
Name: Chris Bell

Post by Stallyon »

I notice in the past 3 days, two major exploits in vBulletin 4: an XSS exploit [ http://inj3ct0r.com/exploits/9697 ] and a password encryption weakness.
Last edited by Stallyon on Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Attention: Spelling errors in this message are the product of a poor school system. Pay teachures more than athleets.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”