Internet Explorer 9

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
onehundredandtwo

Internet Explorer 9

Post by onehundredandtwo »

If you haven't heard about IE9's development yet, I would suggest taking a read at http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/default.aspx.

Turns out Microsoft is finally starting to show an interest in modern web standards. Over the last few months, Microsoft has joined the SVG workgroup and announced that SVG will exist in IE9, announced that IE9 will support a number of CSS3 features and will have a much faster JavaScript engine.

So, what do you think of IE9 so far? Too good to be true? :o
Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Re: Internet Explorer 9

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

onehundredandtwo wrote:Too good to be true? :o
Yes, although I really hope that they'll come up with a decent browser this time. But history is against them ;)
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)
soxie
Former Team Member
Name: Brian

Post by soxie »

It only took them a decade.
// brian
Stallyon
Name: Chris Bell

Post by Stallyon »

Internet Explorer? Is that thing still around?
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

We showed IE9’s latest Acid3 score (55)
isn't a 55 an F?

IE should just die.
Green Light

Post by Green Light »

Why don't they do something like Bing.. redo their product..
Change the whole name altogether and start out from scratch.
I hate how where I practice (they call me an intern) at some store, they always load ie7.. they have something against FF i guess. Better than IE6 for sure..
:roll:
AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR »

RMcGirr83 wrote:
We showed IE9’s latest Acid3 score (55)
isn't a 55 an F?

IE should just die.
You do realise that 1) IE9 isn't even alpha and 2) Acid3 is by far not a comprehensive standards test. You can pass Acid3 but still fail standards completely. The purpose of Acid3 was to show browser developers that even though they were passing the most common standards, there were rarely used outliers in the specifications which weren't supported. Now, I'm not downplaying the importance of Acid3, but way too many people view it as the end all, be all comprehensive standards test that it isn't.

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton
onehundredandtwo

Post by onehundredandtwo »

Green Light wrote:Why don't they do something like Bing.. redo their product..
I hate how where I practice (they call me an intern) at some store, they always load ie7.. they have something against FF i guess. Better than IE6 for sure..
They do in fact have a browser called Gazelle for research purposes, but it mainly focuses on performance rather than improving standards.

Unfortunately too many people rely on IE's bad standards, so it's hard to introduce new standards without breaking the web. ;)
Sam
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Thompson

Post by Sam »

If they can do it by the final release, this would be a great step in the right direction for the IE line. It is only natural it is one of the most used browsers, as we know it ships with every machine that has a version of Windows on it.

I get the impression that everyone hates IE just because of IE6 or that Microsoft is "The Man" putting everyone down, in which case is a pretty prejudice way of stereotyping it all. Regardless on how you view Microsoft and its products, there is no denying that it is used by the vast majority of users out there; a fact which needs to be kept in mind when doing any form of web development.
Last edited by Sam on Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR »

onehundredandtwo wrote:Unfortunately too many people rely on IE's bad standards, so it's hard to introduce new standards without breaking the web. ;)
The standards are definitely there and are being introduced, but some of them are rather poorly documented. IE8 actually implements the (X)HTML/CSS 2.1 specs quite well and accurately. It's the areas of SVG, HTML5, and CSS3 where it falls short, the latter two of which are still under development and probably won't be finalized for a few years to come, after IE9 has been released.

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton
infHouse
Name: Damian

Post by infHouse »

If IE9 is better than IE8, 7, and 6, then I will be happy. Although I do hate Internet Exploder, its come a long way since IE6.
Green Light

Post by Green Light »

onehundredandtwo wrote:
Green Light wrote:Why don't they do something like Bing.. redo their product..
They do in fact have a browser called Gazelle for research purposes, but it mainly focuses on performance rather than improving standards.

Unfortunately too many people rely on IE's bad standards, so it's hard to introduce new standards without breaking the web. ;)
I didn't mean new standards, I meant just restarting. Get a new team or something..
Tom
Former Team Member
Name: Tom

Post by Tom »

Green Light wrote:I didn't mean new standards, I meant just restarting. Get a new team or something..
I'm not sure that the team itself is the major problem with Internet Explorer. It could be those who oversee the team and issue the orders who are truly at fault here. Nevertheless, I must admit that I was impressed when I first tested IE8. There are definitely items to be improved upon (such as JavaScript rendering and speed), and items for which to add support (such as HTML5 and CSS3). Still, as much as I used to loathe the IE franchise, IE8 caused me to feel somewhat less hostile toward the browser. I believe that they are going to make some important changes in IE9, and while there is plenty of room to complain, I won't have much to complain about until I actually try IE9 for the first time. So, I'm giving Microsoft the benefit of the doubt until I see what they actually do with IE9. Then again, that's just me. Feel free to criticize them all you want, as their past certainly warrants it. ;)
Tom C. - Former Moderator Team Member
phpBB3 Smiley Pak Generator | Legend Repositioning MOD | My GitHub | My Site
Desdenova

Post by Desdenova »

We'll see how it goes. I'll say it now, though...if start-up and render speeds haven't improved drastically, I still won't use it. I'm tired of waiting for a page to be rendered, or for my browser to open. It's why I switched from Firefox to Chrome in the first place. While Firefox was faster at the time, Chrome was even faster to respond; unless IE can outdo that, I'm not changing.
god0fgod

Post by god0fgod »

IE wont surpass Google Chrome and Safari for speed; especially Javascript.

Return to “General Discussion”