What is a reasonable avatar file size limit?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
sb_stefan

What is a reasonable avatar file size limit?

Post by sb_stefan » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:22 pm

I guess it's a pretty subjective question, but I still want to hear your opinion on this. How large files can you allow before it turns into a problem? And what is the main issue with too large files -- is it that the forum loads too slow or that it takes up too much space on the server? Any thoughts on this?

Encore204

Re: What is a reasonable avatar file size limit?

Post by Encore204 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:25 pm

sb_stefan wrote:I guess it's a pretty subjective question, but I still want to hear your opinion on this. How large files can you allow before it turns into a problem? And what is the main issue with too large files -- is it that the forum loads too slow or that it takes up too much space on the server? Any thoughts on this?
30 kb on most forums i visit

ChrisRLG
Former Team Member

Re: What is a reasonable avatar file size limit?

Post by ChrisRLG » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:02 pm

Hmmm.

I allow 100 x 100 px on some and 120 x 120 px on others. File size itself is not restricted.
Server drive size is not normally an isssue where the distortion of the forum page might be.

The problem of page refresh or download time for visitors/members is not just avatars - but also signature graphics which can be larger.
phpBB: The All Important Rules - Bertie Bear 3.0 - No support via PM system - use the forums please.
phpBB v2: Retirement (1/1/2009) : phpBB v3: Read Me Topic - Custom BBCodes - Support Template
Matthew 7:7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and a door will be opened to you."
My Links: MS MVP (Consumer Security) - Malware Removal:University - Own Forum: Custom BBCode testing

Return to “phpBB Discussion”