Firefox 4.0 Beta 1

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Popp Singh

Firefox 4.0 Beta 1

Post by Popp Singh »

Have you had a look at it ? What do you think about it ?
tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Re: Firefox 4.0 Beta 1

Post by tbackoff »

I don't even know if they publicly released it, but there is a build 1 on the FTP site. I've been using the nightly builds and the only thing that doesn't work are my addons (Adblock Plus and a private one). The one thing I don't care for is the tabs on top, but that's easy to change (it's a option).
Popp Singh

Post by Popp Singh »

Thats exactly what happens to me and my opinion so far . I think my other addons are working though . I have the impression that its faster but maybe thats because addblock doesnt work . The tabs on top are a bit strange but when i put them where they were before i think that it looks better than 3.6.6 . I was dreading it because of the pictures that had been released a few months ago . In them it looked to me more like a piza with tomatoes , carrots and peas on top .
onehundredandtwo

Post by onehundredandtwo »

I've seen the screenshots, and I like what I see. :)
I'll probably download the beta once it's released, but until then, I will keep watching.
tiby

Post by tiby »

what about the memory usage?
Popp Singh

Post by Popp Singh »

"what about the memory usage?"

I didnt look at that or the CPU load wich at least for me is a problem i took it back out because i refuse to be forced to look at adverts when visiting sites . I like firefox the best from all the browsers i`ve tried but often firefox takes 95+% of the CPU power of my computer and some of the other programs freeze or at least stutter for a few seconds wich is a pain .

There isnt a plugins directory in it so i`m wondering about that to .

But other than that i was happy with it .

I dont usualy try nightly builds because of haveing problems with them before but this one seems good and seems to me to be an indication that mozilla is very near to releasing firefox 4 . I`m looking forwards to that .

"I've seen the screenshots, and I like what I see"

Me 3 . I like what i see in this one but i`d seen previews on Softpedia and i was refering to those ..
Popp Singh

Post by Popp Singh »

I put it in again on top of the version i had . Then went to about:config and added the boolean
extensions.checkCompatibility.4.0b
and clicked on false and addblocker works . There were a few extensions that didnt work or at least that were marked as incompatible in the add-ons manager . So i went to the extensions folder and found their .rdf files and changed the maxversion to 5 and now they show up without the incompatible tag . So far firefox runs OK . When i look in the task manager and use firefox the CPU usage is between 2 and 39 % ( see edit ) even when i turn it on and off it is MUCH less than in the last versions where it sometimes went up to over 90% . There it says its useing up to 74.000 k speicher in german wich i take to mean memory in english .

I then copyed my plugins directory from the last version back into the firefox directory in the programs directory and all the plugins show up in the add-ons manager .

Now even with all the plugins and the extensions this version is noticably faster than the last one . I`m so impressed i`m going to stay with this version even though its a nightly .

EDIT. The plugin-container.exe isnt show in the task manager any more either .
Last edited by Popp Singh on Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zenpher

Post by zenpher »

The most striking thing for me is that it resembles chrome visually.

I really like this, tabs on top makes much more sense.
Popp Singh

Post by Popp Singh »

That was build 1 and now there is a build 2 on their web site . Things are moveing fast .

EDIT.But maybe the only change is an extension to send feedback to mozilla . At least its the only diference i can see so far .
Last edited by Popp Singh on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Double_J
Former Team Member

Post by Double_J »

zenpher wrote:The most striking thing for me is that it resembles chrome visually.

I really like this, tabs on top makes much more sense.
*cough*Opera 10.5*cough*

I believe it looks far more like that browser then it does like chrome.
Double_J
Former Team Member

Post by Double_J »

kage20 wrote:Opera is best browser, ff 4 will have many bugs
Opera is a good browser, there is no best.

I think this new look is very nice for Firefox and when the final version of FF4 arrives I'll give it a spin and see how well it performs. My biggest objection with FF mostly was the user interface plus that it felt slow. However this new interface looks quite nice and it seems they are working on the speed still.
Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life »

kage20 wrote:Opera is best browser, ff 4 will have many bugs
To each his own. I consistently use Safari, Chrome and Firefox; And occasionally use Opera and Internet Explorer 7. I cannot say that there is one “best” browser. There is a worst, but not a best. Each has their own merits. I like Firefox for the extensions and development. Chrome for daily use, it is the best at memory (RAM) management because each tab is a process, which when killed, keeps your memory freed up. Whereas other browsers will continue to consume memory and have mem leaks. But Chrome has some annoying bugs with certain websites, including YouTube. Safari 5 is really fast, I love the features, but it doesn’t have the extensions that Firefox and Chrome have. Plus, Safari 5 is still a memory hog, but not as bad as Firefox. I find Opera to be generally annoying to use, but that is just my personal taste.
AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR »

Highway of Life wrote:Chrome for daily use, it is the best at memory (RAM) management because each tab is a process, which when killed, keeps your memory freed up. Whereas other browsers will continue to consume memory and have mem leaks.
This is the sole reason that I use Chrome as my primary browser. However, as you mentioned, it does have some very annoying bugs, so much so that I'm close to moving to Opera because of them. The only thing keeping me from doing so is the process-per-tab approach. If Firefox implements it before Opera, I'll be back on Firefox. If Opera implements it before Firefox, I'll be on Opera. If IE9 is released before either of them do it, I'll likely be on IE9. :D

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton
Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life »

I was hoping Safari 5 would have implemented the process-per-tab feature that Chrome has, Safari is by far the most stable of the browsers, and the fastest, but the memory issue is too big to bypass. If Firefox 4 can implement that feature, Firefox might jump from #3 to the top of my list.

What do you find nice about IE9? I can't stomach the thought of using an IE browser at all. I’m sure that’s due to the IE6, IE7 and IE8 issues. When a piece of software can make so many people angry, consistently, I couldn’t imagine even using a newer version of it. Oh look! This time the dogpoop tastes much better!
AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR »

Highway of Life wrote:What do you find nice about IE9?
IE Developer Tools. As it is, I do all my css/javascript debugging in IE8.

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

Return to “General Discussion”