Hard to spot police cars

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Hard to spot police cars

Post by DavidIQ » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:40 am

I just read this and, ignoring the fact that he seems to be suggesting to run from the cops :roll:, I found something rather interesting that he mentions:
We Americans have been immensely blessed in this respect. In most other countries, the cops drive ordinary cars, including cars you'd probably never suspect - even minivans. You never knew who might be in that car by the side of the road. Whereas in the U.S., if you saw a Vic or an Impala tucked into one of those cutouts on the Interstate, you could be next-to-certain it was a Johnny and take appropriate precautions.
I know in Puerto Rico they have cars like the Mitsubishi Mirage and Toyota Corolla as police vehicles. What's the case in your country? And are there other interesting "methods" you know of that law enforcement uses for traffic control?
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

kzone

Re: Hard to spot police cars

Post by kzone » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:16 am

Here in Germany, it is rare to see a polizei eating a donut waiting for speeders. In most cases, they let cameras do the work.

I was driving on the highway from Colorado Springs(USA) to Dallas(USA) and I got stopped three times . I was only doing 80-90 mph. Ironically, I always cruise over 130 MPH here in Germany and I never been flashed or pulled over. Well...thanks to the autobahn :D

Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:19 am

The traffic police here uses a lot of high end cars (Volvo/Mercedes) but at the other end for example Seat as well. Besides that they like to hide in the bush and play games like "you can't see me, but I surely can photograph your license plate" :roll:
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)

onehundredandtwo

Post by onehundredandtwo » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:42 am

I've heard that the police are sometimes in normal cars where I live, but there are normal police and highway patrol cars around.

Popp Singh

Post by Popp Singh » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:38 am

Here in germany the police have and / or have acsess to cameras on lots of roads and on the motorways . The ones on the motorways at least collect ALL the numbers on ALL the numberplates that pass by . They also use absolutely EVERY kind of cars and vans from very old and battered volkswagens through to vans up to tuned up porsches . Wich ones they use depends on what they are doing . For trafic controles the cars and vans , marked and unmarked , are not the older battered ones , those are used to follow people . I`ve also seen black unmarked helicopters that were flying at car speeds a few hundred feet above a motorway wich i observed through binoculars . I took that to be secret service or body guards for "VIPS" traveling in cars on the motorway . This is not an opinion its a fact .

Anyone who thinks that big brother follows rules needs a brain transplant .

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:40 pm

I wish the cops used more unmarked random-type cars around here. Every day, I see so many reckless idiots endangering other peoples' lives, and they're doing it because they can tell there are no cops around. Even the unmarked cars are easy to spot, because they're always the exact same model, with the exact same colour and those big metal brush-bars on the front, which are not exactly normal equipment for a sedan.

The rate of carnage and death on our roads from reckless drivers is ridiculous; if terrorists were killing people at this rate, we would have nuked somebody by now.

Christian 2.0
Former Team Member
Name: Christian

Post by Christian 2.0 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:19 pm

DavidIQ wrote:I know in Puerto Rico they have cars like the Mitsubishi Mirage and Toyota Corolla as police vehicles. What's the case in your country? And are there other interesting "methods" you know of that law enforcement uses for traffic control?
Here in the UK we have all manor of traffic law-enforcement. The most frustrating of which is probably the average speed-check on the motorway - pass one post which clocks your number plate, pass the next post x miles down the road which clocks it again. Works out the time it took to take both shots, checks it against the speed limit, works out how fast you're going and anything over about 77mph (70 is the speed limit) you can expect a letter from the DVLA (Driving Vehicle Licensing Agency) with a fixed penalty notice.

Quite often (especially in smaller towns) where there aren't speed-cameras around every corner you're likely to stumble across either one of these or one of these. A van parked at the side of the road with a speed-camera hanging out the back. Sometimes they're not actually taking pictures or even measuring speed, but they're generally annoying because you never know.

In terms of public presence (road patrols, sitting on motorway bridges/verges etc...), it's minimal. The UK's police force is caught up in bureaucracy gone mad, we have less police out on the streets and more in the offices filling out forms. That said, when you "do" see one they're not particularly hard to miss as they're all covered up in bright reflective stickers. We do have our fair share of unmarked cars, which are actually fairly hard to spot. Normally business class models such as Audi's, BMW's or Lexus'.

As for marked cars, sure Ford can brag the Police Taurus, although we're well ahead in terms of high-performance response cars 8-) :

Mitsubishi Evo X:

Subaru Impreza:

Lamborghini Murciélago:

Lotus Exige:

...and of course the Police Volvo V70. Nobody outruns one of those badboys. :)

lurttinen
Translator
Name: Martti Lokka

Post by lurttinen » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:33 pm

Everything from cars to snowmobiles and bikes to horses. Marked and unmarked. Automagic cameras, etc... :)
Signature is here

Popp Singh

Post by Popp Singh » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:11 pm

And when the horses go to an emergency where do they have the blue flashing light ...........

MasterZ

Post by MasterZ » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:36 pm

I saw an unmarked, dark red, SUV pull someone over the other day in the Springs... and I thought I could detect most unmarked cars. I never would have guessed that.

The simple solution is to just not break the law in the first place, then it will not matter if you have a police officer next to you or not. :)

Kim_Possible

Post by Kim_Possible » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:53 am

The little town we live in doesn't have unmarked cars. We have one police car (and one deputy who drives it). :D But there's no speeding in this little town. We are a maze of barely paved deer trails and compact downtown city blocks. You'd need a motorcycle and/or a rally-style 4x4 to top 35 MPH anywhere in the town limits. :D

callumacrae
Former Team Member
Name: Callum Macrae

Post by callumacrae » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:34 pm

CCTV. The police like CCTV here in the UK.

~Callum

Knight²

Post by Knight² » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:39 am

Christian 2.0 wrote:Lamborghini Murciélago:
OMG. I never knew we had one of these babies. Haha. That's awesome. Cheers Chris.

Highway of Life
Former Team Member
Name: David Lewis

Post by Highway of Life » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:18 am

In both Nashville, TN and here in Spokane, WA, there are unmarked police cars. Everything from marked and unmarked Suburban, Dodge Stratus, Chevy Impala, Dodge Intrepid, Dodge Charger, Chevy Malibu. Even a few more exotic unmarked and marked police cars, including my favorite, a Dodge Viper.
The phpBB Weekly Podcast - Discussing the developments of phpBB4 and beyond.

New to phpBB3? Want to learn about programing?
Visit phpBB Academy at StarTrekGuide to learn how.

Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:02 pm

Highway of Life wrote:In both Nashville, TN and here in Spokane, WA, there are unmarked police cars. Everything from marked and unmarked Suburban, Dodge Stratus, Chevy Impala, Dodge Intrepid, Dodge Charger, Chevy Malibu. Even a few more exotic unmarked and marked police cars, including my favorite, a Dodge Viper.
Isn't it hard to reach from the window of a low-riding sports car to the drive-through window at the donut shop?

Return to “General Discussion”