Official phpBB Bridge Discussion

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
Jabe

Official phpBB Bridge Discussion

Post by Jabe »

Hi!

Just some reply to blog post about "New Beginnings" and Drupal.

I'm gonna add some other question:
"Does phpBB integrate with Typo3?"

Not that I know of.

The only phpBB & CMS integration that I know and use is JFusion for Joomla!

It's very powerful, there are features such as:
-dual login
-activity module
-who's online module
-phpBB avatar and PM on website
-framless integration
-merging website profile and phpBB profile
-amazing feature: discussion bot which create an topic inside forum containing website's article
-and last but not least: when you comment some of website's article your comment appears on the site and on board's topic

But the most powerfull CMS is Typo3 (I'm not saying it, CMS Matrix does, check out yourself by comparing them) that's why it would be amazing to have best forum software integrated :D.

I hope that your work on Drupral integration will help integrating Typo3.

Keep up the good work ;)
Last edited by Jabe on Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Martin Truckenbrodt
Name: Martin Truckenbrodt

Re: phpBB OSCON 2010

Post by Martin Truckenbrodt »

Hello,
I think a powerfull CMS Add On for phpBB would be a better idea. phpBB has a good user management and permission system. Why not to let the communication be the centre of the community and not some single applications?
I know there are CMS Add Ons for phpBB. But I haven't tested them by now. So if these Add Ons are powerfull enough then please excuse me.

Bye Martin
Free tutorial: Installing MODs in phpBB 3.0
Advanced Block MOD - Prevent spam on your phpBB 3.0 board with Stop Forum Spam, BotScout, Akismet, Project Honey Pot and several IP-RBL and Domain-RBL DNS blacklists!
My MODs
Use the official phpBB Ideas to vote missing core features!!!
Sam
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Thompson

Post by Sam »

Yes, phpBB does have excellent control over the users and a robust permissions system, but the issue here is more of man power to design and implement it. Current CMS's already do what they do well, and there really is no need to reinvent the wheel if we can seamlessly integrate the systems together.
demon327

Post by demon327 »

we returned to our hotel room and began planning a new phpBB-maintained Drupal plugin. Work on this has already begun and more information will be available soon.
Well, I'm one of the many users that uses the populair, but yet "unstable" drupal phpbb bridge(http://drupal.org/project/phpbbforum) and it works great if it comes to user sync, only for new users, if you edit a user and save it, it just makes a new one, instead of changing the old one, also the installation on the phpbb side is, yeah, a big mess.

So i can only thank the phpbb group for making a hopefully stable bridge for Drupal, cause drupal is a very expandability system, and the same goes for phpbb3, those two are a great combo, so good job to the phpbb dev team!
MichaelC
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Michael Cullum

Post by MichaelC »

I look forward to hearing about this drupal - phpBB Intergration.
:)
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss.
Formerly Website Team Lead/Manager & Development Team.
Please don't PM me for support (or stuff that belongs in the forums or tracker) but otherwise feel free
aitala

Post by aitala »

A question about phpbbforum... so if the user edits their Drupal profile (say updates their email address), this does not make it into phpBB, but creates a new user? Not good, if so.

I am using the other Drupal-phpBB module (http://drupal.org/project/phpbb) and don't seem to have that problem. Of course, this module has not been updated in a while and its external source pages appears dead..

I was going to migrate to phpbbforum, but this syncing problem may prevent that...

Eric

demon327 wrote:
we returned to our hotel room and began planning a new phpBB-maintained Drupal plugin. Work on this has already begun and more information will be available soon.
Well, I'm one of the many users that uses the populair, but yet "unstable" drupal phpbb bridge(http://drupal.org/project/phpbbforum) and it works great if it comes to user sync, only for new users, if you edit a user and save it, it just makes a new one, instead of changing the old one, also the installation on the phpbb side is, yeah, a big mess.
demon327

Post by demon327 »

aitala wrote:A question about phpbbforum... so if the user edits their Drupal profile (say updates their email address), this does not make it into phpBB, but creates a new user? Not good, if so.

I am using the other Drupal-phpBB module (http://drupal.org/project/phpbb) and don't seem to have that problem. Of course, this module has not been updated in a while and its external source pages appears dead..

I was going to migrate to phpbbforum, but this syncing problem may prevent that...

Eric
Eric, the phpbbforum module works best if you don't change anything to the username, all of the other sync features are working good enough, but iam waiting for the official bridge here.....
jamieaa64

Re: Official phpBB Bridge Discussion

Post by jamieaa64 »

Realised I posted drupal stuff in the blog post :P
me wrote:There is a DruBB module http://drupal.org/project/drubb that has some mileage (we were working on moving prosilver to that).

How deep will the integration between drupal and phpbb go? One of the things that is nice about the forum module is that it follows what I've heard referred to as "The Drupal Way" and so when you add other modules to your site, your forum will automatically benefit from those modules.

Taxonomy is one area where the advantages become clear and the localisation/internationalisation modules.
So basically the question is how deep will the integration go. Initially I'm guessing it will be quite simple. But the scope for proper integrate is really cool. CiviCRM and Solr are integrated quite fully in Drupal so I think if this is done correctly then there could be scope to make the Core Drupal Forum module defunct.

But it will be work. Cause eventually you'll want it to work with all of Drupal's other modules. For example being able to have it so that once you've integrated forums and drupal, if you were to install the Organic Groups module, it would seamlessly use phpbb forums.
Rusty105

Post by Rusty105 »

This news come at a good time for me, as I am trying to integrate a phpBB3 forum, and use Drupal for the CMS.
I was wondering, since it will only be myself , and one or two users, in Drupal adding content, would it be possible to use the overall_header and overall_footer from phpBB3 to 'wrap' a very basic Drupal theme, so it looks like the Drupal content is a page from phpBB3? This way users of the forum can surf to the static content, and still think they are in phpBB3. I could manually add navagation to the Drupal content so users can get back to the forums.

Can that work?

Thanks
biome.pat

Post by biome.pat »

Rusty105 wrote:This news come at a good time for me, as I am trying to integrate a phpBB3 forum, and use Drupal for the CMS.
I was wondering, since it will only be myself , and one or two users, in Drupal adding content, would it be possible to use the overall_header and overall_footer from phpBB3 to 'wrap' a very basic Drupal theme, so it looks like the Drupal content is a page from phpBB3?
I haven't worked with phpBB theming (only vB), but the drupal theming system is REALLY robust. I realize that you've probably invested some time in theming your phpBB site, but I would think that, to do it from the top, it would make more sense to have phpBB inherit the drupal theme... since the forum is embedded in the CMS, and not vice versa :)
Rusty105

Post by Rusty105 »

biome.pat wrote:
Rusty105 wrote:This news come at a good time for me, as I am trying to integrate a phpBB3 forum, and use Drupal for the CMS.
I was wondering, since it will only be myself , and one or two users, in Drupal adding content, would it be possible to use the overall_header and overall_footer from phpBB3 to 'wrap' a very basic Drupal theme, so it looks like the Drupal content is a page from phpBB3?
I haven't worked with phpBB theming (only vB), but the drupal theming system is REALLY robust. I realize that you've probably invested some time in theming your phpBB site, but I would think that, to do it from the top, it would make more sense to have phpBB inherit the drupal theme... since the forum is embedded in the CMS, and not vice versa :)
I am not really familiar with the Drupal Themeing scheme, yet, but pretty familiar with phpBB3. I guess you could wrap phpBB3 in Drupal, but wont user permissions be a headache? Which platform would control what?

I know this is the "official bridge discussion" but is there another thread where users could submit ideas to the DEVs regarding Drupal/phpBB3?
onehundredandtwo

Post by onehundredandtwo »

I've created a theme in drupal before, and I imagine it would be very difficult to make phpBB to use the drupal theming system.

It would probably be far easier to design the theme/style to look the same but seperately in phpBB and drupal.
Need help preventing spam? Read Preventing spam in phpBB 3.0.6 and above
Truemedia

Post by Truemedia »

For making headers or just similar elements look the same in different software solutions (like making a global menu at the top of the page) I just use either a built in solution for a main menu or mod to make a main menu, and style it to blend with the current theme of that software, while keeping some consistent design elements across the header for each software.

It doesn't look as sleek as an identical theme, but is much easier to manage, and still quite nice to have a little variation ;).
PM me about any topics I have made if you have any questions about them. I'm available for paid hire on creating mods and styles for phpBB, or configuration/installation - PM for quote
Other open source project forums I'm on: Area51
Toxid

Post by Toxid »

The phpbbforum module provides a visual integration where the forum is embedded in a page. It's a good solution. The only thing missing from there is a way to connect the drupal themes to phpbb themes, so that they change simultaneously.
daustin100

Post by daustin100 »

we at bible.org are eager to look at the official bridge between our phpbb forum at forum.bible.org and our drupal site at bible.org. I think our highest priority is single sign on and the ability to handle the user changing their passwords emails etc without screwing up either system. We are a nonprofit ministry but we could put up some money to fund the testing and fixes that would come from the use of early bridge code.
Last edited by camm15h on Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary links.
A great Bible study site http://www.bible.org (over 3500 free studies) a new free on-line reader
Also a great phpbb forum http://forum.bible.org Check us out
Leather Bible Only $39.95 (60,932 translators notes, satellite maps)

Return to “phpBB Discussion”