[ALPHA] Mutual Friend Requests

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Get Involved
killaziller

[ALPHA] Mutual Friend Requests

Post by killaziller »

Modification Name: Mutual Friend Requests
Author: killaziller

Modification Description:Implements Facebook's Mutual Friends feature by showing friends shared between two users and also creates a list of "People you might like". By default, phpBB only requires that one person adds the other to create a friendship. This modification enables both parties to mutually accept the friendship through friend requests.

Modification Version: 0.8.2

Features:
People You Might Like
Similar to Facebook's "People You Might Know"; this feature suggests people you might like based on your current friends list. Technical: Grabs two random friends from your friends lists and compares their friends lists for mutual friends that are not already in your friends lists

Mutual Friends
On a profile page, the # of mutual friends are shown. Technical: Grabs friends lists of both users and compares them for similar friends

Manage pending
Manage friend requests to you. This list does not display outgoing friend requests (yet).

Manage friends
Create friend requests from this panel and remove existing friends.

Manage foes
Manages all foes, but newly added foes cannot be existing friends.

Upcoming Features
  1. Display the number of mutual friends on memberlist page.
  2. Determine the strength of mutual relationships
  3. Create an ACP to manage the modification
  4. Suggest something
0.6.0 to 0.8.2
  1. More efficient MySQL queries
  2. Added friend request notifications
  3. Added "People you might like"
  4. Added "# of Mutual Friends
  5. Added more friend request language keys
  6. Inactive users are not displayed
Screenshots:
People You Might Like & Friend Request Notifications

Mutual Friends

Friend Requests

Modification Download: Download Mutual Friend Requests
Last edited by killaziller on Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZeroZaku - The phpBB playground of a highschool web designer with a suspicious attraction. It's like catharsis.
jbarrouk

Re: [ALPHA] Mutual Friend Requests

Post by jbarrouk »

Thanks so much for doing this. I think this feature is extremely important.

all the best,
Joe
mutank
Name: Dominic Struczynski

Post by mutank »

Does this MOD work fine in 3.0.5?
killaziller

Post by killaziller »

mutank wrote:Does this MOD work fine in 3.0.5?
I haven't tried it, but it should work fine. Otherwise, you'll need to strip the hidden form tags added in 3.0.6.
ZeroZaku - The phpBB playground of a highschool web designer with a suspicious attraction. It's like catharsis.
vortexhlp

Post by vortexhlp »

This is wonderful! I haven't tested it out yet but I will try it out later in the week. :D

What are your plans for the next release?
killaziller

Post by killaziller »

vortexhlp wrote:This is wonderful! I haven't tested it out yet but I will try it out later in the week. :D

Something like "People you might know" in Facebook and maybe show some friends shared between you and another use on profiles. The code is complete on my own board already, I just need to find a convenient way to move it to prosilver.
Lastpost

Post by Lastpost »

Very nice, still looking forward for the add-ons, also discussed in the REQ-section. :)
eunaumtenhoid

Post by eunaumtenhoid »

suport to subsilver2 styles based pls?
My translations of the extensions for Brazilian Portuguese
https://github.com/phpBBTraducoes
heredia21

Post by heredia21 »

Any updates?
Best BlackBerry website for all users! BlackBerry News - http://blackberryempire.com
trickoff

Post by trickoff »

killaziller wrote:
vortexhlp wrote:This is wonderful! I haven't tested it out yet but I will try it out later in the week. :D

Something like "People you might know" in Facebook and maybe show some friends shared between you and another use on profiles. The code is complete on my own board already, I just need to find a convenient way to move it to prosilver.
Very nice mod! Can't wait for it to be finnished
killaziller

Post by killaziller »

eunaumtenhoid wrote:suport to subsilver2 styles based pls?
I've never worked with the subsilver style before, but it shouldn't be hard to implement.
Lastpost

Post by Lastpost »

I see you have updated the script, can be my testboard but I have some problems:
It shows people suggestions that are allready a friend.
It gives dubble names on the index, like User1, User1, User 2, User1, User2, User2.
Can the caching be disabled? Because now it shows up the one time I refresh and it doesn't for the next x retries.

But the idea is really great.
Will retest tommorow btw, the problem might be on my side.
killaziller

Post by killaziller »

Lastpost wrote:I see you have updated the script, can be my testboard but I have some problems:
It shows people suggestions that are allready a friend.
It gives dubble names on the index, like User1, User1, User 2, User1, User2, User2.
Can the caching be disabled? Because now it shows up the one time I refresh and it doesn't for the next x retries.

But the idea is really great.
Will retest tommorow btw, the problem might be on my side.
There's no caching at all, people are randomly selected from friends lists and compared to maintain a sort of dynamic suggestion list.

The double names are a result of having bidirectional relationships. I'll need to make a script later that clears out the double entry.
Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx »

Seems you are taking this MOD into the right direction ( from the many times bumbed request thread ) that we were in search of. Thanks I am liking the ideas so far. :)
Lastpost

Post by Lastpost »

killaziller wrote: There's no caching at all, people are randomly selected from friends lists and compared to maintain a sort of dynamic suggestion list.

The double names are a result of having bidirectional relationships. I'll need to make a script later that clears out the double entry.
Thanks for the answer.
But it doesn't sound logical to me that if there are more than 3 options to show, the one time it shows nothing and after a refresh or 5 it gives a random number of options availlable, sounds logical to me that it would show 10 people all the time (if there are that many) if there are 10 friend suggestions and if there are more, the RAND function would just randomly show 10 examples.
So I'm not sure why it doesn't do that.

But the script also shows people that are allready a mutual friend (zebra table, both sides, no pending/request what so ever) of mine, that is not supposed to happen right? Have I been gone wrong somewhere of is it just part of the mod at this moment?

Not to boohoo or something like that, just giving feedback.
Another suggestion I would want to have, avatars within the 'People you might now' and a button/link under the users name to add them as a friend.

Great mod, hope to see it fully working.

Return to “[3.0.x] MODs in Development”