Spam artists registering on forums

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
MajorFreak

Spam artists registering on forums

Post by MajorFreak » Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:55 am

hello, i've kept my forum membership completely open and inviting..not to mention a number of my forums are guest posting capable. This noble principle is obviously being exploited by spammers. Personally, i don't mind monitoring the membership lists and forums to delete any spam.

My request is simple: In the future, if i need to leave for an extended period, is there a way to install a more "robust" registration process to weed out the spammers?

OH! BTW, IS THERE A WAY TO "MASS DELETE" MEMBERLISTS?

Zeyr

Post by Zeyr » Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:06 am

You could always make it more difficult on them, and install the Visual Confirmation mod. It's contained in the /contrib/ folder of the phpBB 2.0.10 package. Also, if you're having an issue with the "proxy enabled" breed of trolls you can install something like Block Open Proxy Registraints to weed them out entirely :D

As for the second question, are you wanting to delete users or the entires in the member list?
If I'm not posting, I'm playing EQ2 :D

MajorFreak

Post by MajorFreak » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:34 am

thanks much. guess i'll have to upgrade. (tries to remember how it was done...uh oh...need ftp access)

second question followup: uhm...sorta like "moderate this forum" where you have checkboxes for mass removal/moving/etc, but for the memberlist. (so annoying having to enter each name, look at profile and check the delete user box)

ElbertF

Post by ElbertF » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:38 am

I found a mod once "prune users", which deletes users which have never posted, or only twice a year etc., have a search :wink:

Zeyr

Post by Zeyr » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:46 am

There is a Prune Users mod, if you're looking for an easier way to handle users I suggest the Admin Userlist mod.
If I'm not posting, I'm playing EQ2 :D

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”