SOLVED: Limiting Moderator privileges to specific forum?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Charles L. Cotton

SOLVED: Limiting Moderator privileges to specific forum?

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

On my site I have several Moderators each of whom is assigned to one or more forums. However, every Moderator can exercise Moderator privileges on every forum, not just the ones to which they are assigned. Is it possible to limit their Moderator privileges to only the forums to which they are assigned?

Thanks,
Chas.
Last edited by Charles L. Cotton on Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Re: Limiting Moderator privileges to specific forum?

Post by narqelion »

Sounds like you might have unintentionally given them global moderation powers rather than forum. You can set individual forum moderators yes, ACP -> Permissions -> Forum moderators -> {select a forum(s)} -> select a user in 'Add User' -> Add permissions -> select a specific Role based on the moderation level you want them to have in that forum.

If they have global moderator permissions you will have to remove them for the above forum limitations to take effect. :)

Charles L. Cotton

narqelion wrote:Sounds like you might have unintentionally given them global moderation powers rather than forum. You can set individual forum moderators yes, ACP -> Permissions -> Forum moderators -> {select a forum(s)} -> select a user in 'Add User' -> Add permissions -> select a specific Role based on the moderation level you want them to have in that forum.

If they have global moderator permissions you will have to remove them for the above forum limitations to take effect. :)
That was part of the problem. After setting "Global Moderator" permissions to "no," Moderators cannot do things like "move," "merge," etc. but they can still delete a post, view logs and one or two other functions in forums where they are not moderators. I've been running this board for 5 1/2 years, but I haven't had to change moderators or work with their privileges for over 3 years. Obviously, I've forgotten something. :oops:

Chas.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

You should not be setting Global Moderator permissions at all for these users.
If you do not want them to moderate all of the forums, then you should not be giving them Global Mod permissions at all.

narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Post by narqelion »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:but they can still delete a post, view logs and one or two other functions in forums where they are not moderators.
You should run a permissions mask on one of those users who has moderator permissions where you do not want him to, that will show you where they are getting them from so you can properly remove them. Or you can quickly go to your ACP -> Users & Groups -> Manage groups -> Global Moderators -> Members and make sure none of those users are in the group, if they are remove them. ;)

Charles L. Cotton

I think I have everything fixed, but it'll take some time to test the privileges for all moderators in all forums. In addition to having some Global privileges set that I corrected earlier, I found that a group (Moderators) I had set up to give access to a hidden forum (Moderators Forum) also had moderator privileges set up. This gave everyone in the Moderators Group privileges in all forums. Even after correcting this, I had to check each moderator individually and found privileges set for certain forum. To be honest, I can't recall all of the problems I discovered.

I need to find out how to use the privilege mask narqelion mentioned; that would have saved a bunch of time!

Thanks for your help guys, I really appreciate it.
Chas.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”