Member Search

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
k5dla

Member Search

Post by k5dla »

The User Admin section under the General Tab of the Administration Control Panel is not very intuitive.

It says Find a member: with a box to the right. If you type in anything other than a user name, like an e-mail addy, you get an error. Below the box is: [Find a member] which is actually the link to the "Find a member" form. I wasn't smart enough to figure out that it was separate from the box.

Actually, Find a member: on the left of the box should be Find a user: and a second line Find a member: should be added below the first and to the left of [Find a member].

I'm sure there's something even more elegant, but that's a start and it might help the next admin who receives an e-mail from a user saying that he lost or can't remember his username and password.
Last edited by k5dla on Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
PlanetStyles.net
Former Team Member
Name: Christian

Re: Member Search

Post by PlanetStyles.net »

Hi, and welcome to phpBB :)

I've moved your topic from the Support forum to phpBB Discussion, as it's not really a support issue...more a question / comment relating to a feature within the software. I'd recommend editing your post to reflect this :).

Enjoy your stay.
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

k5dla wrote:The User Admin section under the General Tab of the Administration Control Panel is not very intuitive.

It says Find a member: with a box to the right. If you type in anything other than a user name, like an e-mail addy, you get an error. Below the box is: [Find a member] which is actually the link to the "Find a member" form. I wasn't smart enough to figure out that it was separate from the box.

Actually, Find a member: on the left of the box should be Find a user: and a second line Find a member: should be added below the first and to the left of [Find a member].
The idea is reasonable, but the text on the left should say Username (like on the Find a member form). We're already on the Select user page, so the text should reflect what actually should be entered in the box -- a username.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
k5dla

Post by k5dla »

Sounds more elegant to me.
Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

If you think that you've found a bug, please create a ticket in the bug tracker that way the devs will notice this issue and can handle it appropriately.
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)
k5dla

Post by k5dla »

This is my 3rd post to phpBB. After carefully reading what I could find on how and where to post and jumping through as many hoops as I could, my 1st post was to the Support Group and was bounced from there to here by a support group member because it really wasn't a support issue. Now I'm being told by another support group member that this isn't the right forum either and he suggests reporting it as a bug.

Wikipedia defines bug as: "A software bug is the common term used to describe an error, flaw, mistake, failure, or fault in a computer program or system that produces an incorrect or unexpected result, or causes it to behave in unintended ways.". I''m not sure that my issue rises to that level although it did behave in unintended ways from my perspective.

Maybe the issue should simmer here a while longer, a suggested solution be allowed to develop more elegance, then be booted to the development gods. I bow to the assembled experts and give my permission let it be kicked wherever it next should go.
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

k5dla wrote:Wikipedia defines bug as: "A software bug is the common term used to describe an error, flaw, mistake, failure, or fault in a computer program or system that produces an incorrect or unexpected result, or causes it to behave in unintended ways.". I''m not sure that my issue rises to that level although it did behave in unintended ways from my perspective.
What you have identified could be considered a usability "flaw". The system produced an unexpected result for you (not allowing you to search with an E-mail address). Viewed that way, it meets the Wikipedia definition of bug. :)

Go ahead and open the bug (and link them to this topic). The developers can refine it as necessary.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
k5dla

Post by k5dla »

Don't know if I submitted it correctly but it's: #PHPBB3-9778.
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

Yes, that's all fine :)
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish
k5dla

Post by k5dla »

There's more on my bug which is no longer a bug and is listed now as trivial.

Here's my response to the developers:

Here's some more trivia from a volunteer webmaster who inherited phpBB as one of his website components and is trying to make things as easy as possible for his 1450+ forum members:

This is what I receive when I log into the Administrative Control Panel and get the Index Page:

"Welcome to phpBB

Thank you for choosing phpBB as your board solution. This screen will give you a quick overview of all the various statistics of your board. The links on the left hand side of this screen allow you to control every aspect of your board experience. Each page will have instructions on how to use the tools."

When I then click on the Manage Users link on the left hand side and look for the instructions: None, nada, zilch,etc.

After spending way more time than it deserved, I actually found a workaround using "Prune".

When I reported this I'm told: "That's what the instructions are for P:" Those instructions are buried 4 layers deep in a website that isn't referenced anywhere on phpBB3.

Until I decided to look for a place to report this so some other poor slob didn't waste his time, I didn't know php.com existed and I've been using the Administration Panel for more than three years!

The response I received is exactly what would be expected from someone whose nose is buried so far into ones and zeroes that they can't be bothered to actually try to use their product!!!

What right do I have to make the last statement? How about 35 years in engineering, marketing and sales with a pension from IBM."

Maybe it should have simmered here longer?

Return to “phpBB Discussion”