The end of facebook coming?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Ashley.G.
Name: Ashley Grabowski

Re: The end of facebook coming?

Post by Ashley.G. »

I love Facebook! If that site ever were to close, I don't think I would want to go to anything else.
fernades

Post by fernades »

As long as Google is their, no one cant beat it.Google rocks!Facebook and Myspace cant think about it........ :(
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

I read an interesting post on a (different) message board yesterday.

To excerpt:
If you took the "phone" part out of a smart phone, most teenagers wouldn't notice.
This is pretty clearly true. How many teens do you see who actually talk on their phones? I see far more SMSing (or twittering, or whatever other apps involve tapping on a phone keyboard)

One of my co-workers sends a text every minute, it seems ... 4 to 5 thousand per month, she says. Almost never takes a call.

So for sure mobile phones are here to stay - whether the "phone" part stays or goes is an interesting question.
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish
callumacrae
Former Team Member
Name: Callum Macrae

Post by callumacrae »

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:I read an interesting post on a (different) message board yesterday.

To excerpt:
If you took the "phone" part out of a smart phone, most teenagers wouldn't notice.
This is pretty clearly true. How many teens do you see who actually talk on their phones? I see far more SMSing (or twittering, or whatever other apps involve tapping on a phone keyboard)

One of my co-workers sends a text every minute, it seems ... 4 to 5 thousand per month, she says. Almost never takes a call.

So for sure mobile phones are here to stay - whether the "phone" part stays or goes is an interesting question.
I'm a teen, I tend to use about 30 of my minutes a month. I also use about 300mb of data and send a few thousand texts though XD

~Callum
keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

A_Jelly_Doughnut wrote:I read an interesting post on a (different) message board yesterday.

To excerpt:

Very true... This is why the telcoms like AT&T require you to have a phone plan in addition to a data plan. Otherwise, most of the teens would simply get the data plan.
br549

Post by br549 »

kzone wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/social.med ... tml?hpt=T2

If this article is true, facebook days are numbered. Going by history, most people like newer, better and sexier "gadget" around....Myspace ring a bell? If Google can provide that, I predict mass migration from facebook to Google.

I must admit that tackling facebook will take time, ingenuity and tons of resources.

The problem is that if you follow the money trail. It leads right back to the United States goverment. In united states security circles, Facebook has been refered to as the best online tool for profiling and stalking potential "problems."

Facebook collects tons of personal information and yahoo collects even more. Since yahoo, facebook and microsoft are part of the same "organisational flow structures." It isn't too hard to figure out how their lame feature site got so popular.
DamienGreen
Name: Damien Green

Post by DamienGreen »

Nehhh, I don't facebook will end, it's to gooood.
Elias
Name: Elias

Post by Elias »

The only time i would beleive Facebook will be closing it's doors is the day i see for myself.
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|
ckwalsh
Former Team Member
Name: Cullen Walsh

Post by ckwalsh »

br549 wrote:The problem is that if you follow the money trail. It leads right back to the United States goverment. In united states security circles, Facebook has been refered to as the best online tool for profiling and stalking potential "problems."

Facebook collects tons of personal information and yahoo collects even more. Since yahoo, facebook and microsoft are part of the same "organisational flow structures." It isn't too hard to figure out how their lame feature site got so popular.
Quite the conspiracy theory. I'm certain Facebook is very protective of user privacy, and only shares what it is legally required to (aka, via subpoena, etc).
Where to post what | Forum Rules | The Dos and Don'ts of General Discussion
In Seattle and want to meet, chat, or have a coffee? Drop me a PM.
keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

ckwalsh wrote:
br549 wrote:The problem is that if you follow the money trail. It leads right back to the United States goverment. In united states security circles, Facebook has been refered to as the best online tool for profiling and stalking potential "problems."

Quite the conspiracy theory. I'm certain Facebook is very protective of user privacy, and only shares what it is legally required to (aka, via subpoena, etc).
Well, they weren't protective of user privacy until recently. It wasn't not too long ago that Facebook was allowing 3rd parties access to their member's information without their consent.

As with any social networking site though, don't post what you don't want to go viral.
nuckfan15
Name: Travis

Post by nuckfan15 »

keith10456 wrote:
ckwalsh wrote:

Well, they weren't protective of user privacy until recently. It wasn't not too long ago that Facebook was allowing 3rd parties access to their member's information without their consent.

As with any social networking site though, don't post what you don't want to go viral.
Nothing on the internet is ever really private. ;) Big Brother is always watching.
Reaper2794

Post by Reaper2794 »

Guys, all they gotta do is have a tool thatll import their pictures and as much stuff as possible over... that's really not difficult especially for Google

Id love it if Google made a social network as a successor to FB since FB sucks donkey balls but they gotta name it something other than Buzz
kzone

Post by kzone »

kzone wrote:Facebook has reached the status where its downfall can only be caused by the company mismanagement or lack of interest by users. No competitors are close enough to be considered a threat at this time.

However, Going by tech history (or any other), no empire last forever. Going by the facts, MicroSoft in no longer the dominant top dog it was for the last 15 years or so. Anybody remember American Online? A company once valued at $ 220 billion

I guess....lets wait and see ;)
I think Facebook days are numbered

Anyone trying Google plus?..Can't wait to try
callumacrae
Former Team Member
Name: Callum Macrae

Post by callumacrae »

kzone wrote:
kzone wrote:Facebook has reached the status where its downfall can only be caused by the company mismanagement or lack of interest by users. No competitors are close enough to be considered a threat at this time.

However, Going by tech history (or any other), no empire last forever. Going by the facts, MicroSoft in no longer the dominant top dog it was for the last 15 years or so. Anybody remember American Online? A company once valued at $ 220 billion

It's weird
Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

kzone wrote:

Google's history with these kind of services don't particularly count in favor of them ;). I think that Google has missed the boat and are at least 3 years to late with a service like this. The fast majority of the facebook users won't bother to switch a way from something that they've been using for years and established them selfs on in favor of something that appears to bring nothing really more than facebook with a google logo.
Also the "inviteonly" thing they always use IMHO won't help their adoption. It's sort of special now because regular users/internet geeks want to see what they've done but once they drop that (anyone recall how long Gmail was invite only?) the whole buzz is long over.

Google really should focus on developing new technologies rather than trying to limp behind popular services and jump on the wagon when it's to late.
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)

Return to “General Discussion”