First forum you ever joined:

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Ashley.G.
Name: Ashley Grabowski

First forum you ever joined:

Post by Ashley.G. »

What was the first forum you ever joined? The first one I ever joined was Backstreet.net's backboard in 2007. At the time, it was simply a message board, not like as you or I know message boards today. It was a one where you could come on as a guest, start a conversation with a topic (sort of like a forum) and then others would reply to your topic. However, there were loads of flaws with this, as I realized much later when I started learning more about forums:

1. There were no categories or subforums, so the message board kind of resembled something like this:

First Topic
RE: reply to first topic
Re: next reply to first topic

And the sucky part was that, if the reply didn't get a response for so many days, the topic in question would just poof. So it was sort of like a time limit system more than anything. The same went with PMs. You would get a PM from somebody, but if you had any intentions of responding to that PM, you only had so long to do so before THAT got automatically deleted as well. That sucked too, because someone could say, after your PM automatically disappeared,

Person #1: Did you recieve my PM on the Backboard yesterday?
You (the reciever): Huh, you sent me a PM?? Or it could be something like this (...) if you were really confused.
Person #1: Yeah, it was about such and such subject.
You (the reciever): I'm going to have to ask you to send me the PM again, because I think I missed it.

Yeah, it really sucked like that. So finally, during the fall of 2007, they got the last available version of PHPBB2 (whichever that was that year), and that helped out tremendously. We actually had a message board where you HAD to register, so that really cut down on lost topics and potentially lost PMs. Plus, it's like a friend of mine on there said:
The best part is, threads don't poof!
Poof meaning disappear.

Naturally, knowing nothing about forums at the time, only knowing that spam and posing as others were both bad news no matter how you looked at it, and knowing nothing as to what to look for when it comes to nice forums, I even thought the new board was really nice and a major improvement over the other one. Sadly, the place has died out over the course of three years, and now all our posts seem to be saying the same things, like "wow, this board is practically dead!" or "where is everybody these days?"

So yeah, that was the first forum I ever joined.
nuckfan15
Name: Travis

Re: First forum you ever joined:

Post by nuckfan15 »

Ironically enough, it was this forum. I joined back in 2004 when I wanted to find out about creating a forum for a fantasy hockey league.
Ashley.G.
Name: Ashley Grabowski

Post by Ashley.G. »

nuckfan15 wrote:Ironically enough, it was this forum. I joined back in 2004 when I wanted to find out about creating a forum for a fantasy hockey league.
That is pretty interesting, now that i stop and think about it.
tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Post by tbackoff »

The first forum I ever joined is no longer operational. It ran phpBB 2. Anyway, I saw the link to phpBB.com and lurked around for a bit before registering. ;)
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.
beautifulevil
Name: Sara

Post by beautifulevil »

I think the first forum I joined was an rp forum, which sadly, closed several years ago - and it ran an early version of phpbb. At the time; I had no idea what kind of work went into developing the entire thing from the ground up essentially. Lol.
stickerboy
Former Team Member
Name: Kenny Cameron

Post by stickerboy »

First forum I ever remember joining was weebls-stuff.com, back when they originally ran phpBB2 with a nice customised style :) The later converted to vB though :( It was through weebls that I found reference to phpBB - I wanted to start up my own forum and someone on there recommended phpBB. The rest is, as they say, post history :P
I'm a web-designing code-decrypting tech-support musician
|| Twitter || Flickr || phpBB Snippets ||
Formerly known as cherokee red
Brandon05
Name: Brandon Kaylor

Post by Brandon05 »

Wow the first forum I ever joined huh? Well shoot, the only one I can remember is FreeForums.org and many more after that. I worked at FreeForums.org as a Style Technician installing phpBB3 styles. My job was to basically add FreeForums codes and scripts to each style upon installation. The same procedures as updating a style to the latest version of phpBB.
Christy
Name: Christy

Post by Christy »

I first joined a vBulletin forum in March of 2007 when I didn't even understand what a forum was. Then a friend of mine set up a FreeForum (on a FreeForum host; November 2008). I was so new to forums that I thought the phpBB3 forum software was the same as the vBulletin software :shock: . I had been a member of and then disappeared leaving me with a forum where I was only a partial admin at. I then moved to standard phpBB3 hosting on a paid hosting service (had to start a new forum).
Brandon05 wrote:Wow the first forum I ever joined huh? Well shoot, the only one I can remember is FreeForums.org and many more after that. I worked at FreeForums.org as a Style Technician installing phpBB3 styles. My job was to basically add FreeForums codes and scripts to each style upon installation. The same procedures as updating a style to the latest version of phpBB.

You're such a CreativeBot! :lol:.
Sam
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Thompson

Post by Sam »

Mine was the Nintendo NSider forums, which no longer exist. Oh the nostalgia.
keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

The first Forum I joined was YaBB back in '03. Around '05 I discovered phpBB.
smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll »

Blink 182 on MCA records artist forums, powered by Snitz Forums 2000
Absolutely shocking software. Spaghetti ASP code, slow, full of security issues. The forum no-longer exists.
Systems Engineering
Brandon05
Name: Brandon Kaylor

Post by Brandon05 »

Christy wrote:I first joined a vBulletin forum in March of 2007 when I didn't even understand what a forum was. Then a friend of mine set up a FreeForum (on a FreeForum host; November 2008). I was so new to forums that I thought the phpBB3 forum software was the same as the vBulletin software :shock: . I had been a member of and then disappeared leaving me with a forum where I was only a partial admin at. I then moved to standard phpBB3 hosting on a paid hosting service (had to start a new forum).
Brandon05 wrote:Wow the first forum I ever joined huh? Well shoot, the only one I can remember is FreeForums.org and many more after that. I worked at FreeForums.org as a Style Technician installing phpBB3 styles. My job was to basically add FreeForums codes and scripts to each style upon installation. The same procedures as updating a style to the latest version of phpBB.

You're such a CreativeBot! :lol:.
That is the whole reason I chose the handle "Creativebot" Christy. :P
nuckfan15
Name: Travis

Post by nuckfan15 »

Ashley.G. wrote:
nuckfan15 wrote:Ironically enough, it was this forum. I joined back in 2004 when I wanted to find out about creating a forum for a fantasy hockey league.
That is pretty interesting, now that i stop and think about it.
Eh? Why is that :P?

I actually look back at my first couple posts here in 2004.....and well. Take a look for yourself. :lol:
noth

Post by noth »

the first forum I ever joined back in 2003 was written in UBB ultimate bulletun board

called Blitzcoder, it folder last year :( I approached the database holder (the final admin) only a few days ago to pass me the UBB database to convert to phpBB3

he cannot do this because the database contains personal information e.g. PMs

:( I would love to convert that old database :P and I know that about 20 other people would too :lol: not kidding either

the guy I requested has had so many emails asking him to surrender that old database, he has now penned a webpage on his reasons for not allowing it and I half suspected that would be the case, even before I added my email to the list - so much time has now gone by, the domain name has been grabbed by somebody totally random and it is now used to advertise swedish kitchens or something as inane as that anyway
Tom
Former Team Member
Name: Tom

Post by Tom »

There was this Half-Life 2 Web comic called Concerned that I followed around 5 years ago. After reading through the comic for some months, in 2004 I found their forum and registered (though I can't exactly remember what happened). At the time, it was the first forum I had ever seen, and it happened to be a phpBB2 forum. I was young and a fool, and I ended up being such a bad community member there that I earned myself a ban around a year later. The ban was soon lifted, however, but it was too late as the forum had been overrun by spambots and the two administrators with access to the FTP account had long since left the community in disgust (so apparently it wasn't just me; the community was degrading by the minute, and the administration was not very intelligent, either). ;) Anyway, I found the link to http://www.phpbb.com in the footer of their forum, and I tried out the ACP demo. Soon afterward, I was running my own phpBB2 forum and having a grand old time. I joined http://www.phpbb.com in 2006 seeking support for my own forum, and I eventually became active in the community.
Tom C. - Former Moderator Team Member
phpBB3 Smiley Pak Generator | Legend Repositioning MOD | My GitHub | My Site

Return to “General Discussion”