Transfering forums

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
csat

Transfering forums

Post by csat »

OK so I have my forum using database 1 which has been running a while with a couple of mods which I'm not that bothered about as they will be easy enough to reinstall if need be. I have also got another blank forum on database 2 with the Primetime mod which I'm very impressed with.

What I want to do is transfer all the necessary information from my first forum eg posts, pms, user info etc etc on database 1 onto database 2. I'm not sure which tables I need to copy across. Or do I need to copy all of them across? Any suggestions anyone?
Last edited by csat on Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EvanP
Name: Evan

Re: Transfering forums

Post by EvanP »

Why not take a backup and install it to another database? Much easier. :)
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

I am not sure what the significance is of having two databases.
If you like the mod that is on the second board, just install it to the first board.
csat

Post by csat »

Brf wrote:I am not sure what the significance is of having two databases.
If you like the mod that is on the second board, just install it to the first board.
I totally agree. That's what I originally tried to do but I couldn't and still can't get it to install on my working forum for some reason. It just came up with lots of database error messages but when I tried on a fresh database it worked fine.
EvanP wrote:Why not take a backup and install it to another database? Much easier. :)

I already tried that. I backed up my working forum and my new forum and then transfeRred the database for the working forum onto the new one and although many of the pages worked, some didn't so I was wondering if it was possible to just select certain tables to transfer from the database for my working forum rather than all of them. I'm just not sure which I need and which I don't.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

No. You would have to transfer the whole thing, but as I said, there really is no point, since transferring the whole database is the same as using the old one.
What errors were you getting?
csat

Post by csat »

The errors I got we regarding a certain table not being in the database even though when I looked at the database the table was there. I spend months trying to sort it out and it was very confusing as I'm by no means an expert with these things. I have just tried to copy the current database back over to the new one and for some reason it now SEEMS to be working fine. Maybe I was just to tired last night to think straight lol. Either way thank you guys for your suggestions because it verified that I was doing the right thing afterall. :)
csat

Post by csat »

Scrap that last post I made. some of the ACP options aren't there and it now gives the error :
General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Table 'db2.BLOCK_POSITIONS_TABLE' doesn't exist [1146]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.
So back to square one.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

I am assuming that is part of your Primetime mod. It seems to be a table associated with a portal.
csat

Post by csat »

yes I assume so, but haven't been able to work out why this error message keeps coming up. Have posted in the correct modifications forum about it but we couldn't come up with a solution.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”