[ABD] "Skype" Smilies/Emoticons for phpBB 3

Any abandoned 3.0.x Styles will be moved to this forum.
egymx

Re: [Release] "Skype" Smilies/Emoticons for phpBB 3

Post by egymx »

Here is a working link
[Removed - see http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... #p12868635]
:geek:

Raimon
Former Team Member
Name: Raimon Meuldijk

Re: [Release] "Skype" Smilies/Emoticons for phpBB 3

Post by Raimon »

Since Shadow1980 last visit on this board was 26 Nov 2009 and the download links are not working, i assume he abandoned this smilies/Emoticons package, with that i will lock this topic.
Shadow1980, if you want to continue your smilies package, pm a Styles Team Member so he can re open your topic.

Thanks!
The phpBB Styles Team
Need phpBB installation, extenstions, Styles or integrate phpBB with you website?
Contact me for fair prices and good service!

Raimon
Former Team Member
Name: Raimon Meuldijk

Re: [ABD] "Skype" Smilies/Emoticons for phpBB 3

Post by Raimon »

Shadow1980 have contacted me and he said he was going to pick up his Development of his Smilies.
So with that i opened the topic.

Also a small reminder when you are ready with developing your smilies, feel free to submit it to our Styles Database :).
Need phpBB installation, extenstions, Styles or integrate phpBB with you website?
Contact me for fair prices and good service!

narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Re: [Development] "Skype" Smilies/Emoticons for phpBB 3

Post by narqelion »

As a user I have two questions for the developer Shadow1980, are these icons your own original work or merely smilies you have collected from other sites and are redistributing here? Second what license are they released under, I saw in your first post the following statement:
The only thing Skype requires for use of their smilies is that you use the same tags. The only difference is that instead of their (..) system this uses the more standardized phpbb system of :..: for smilies.
Please don't use this pack for commercial means or on commercial sites.
So they are obviously not GPL licensed....what license did you acquire them under? :)

Shadow1980

Post by Shadow1980 »

Primary download URL fixed.

Sorry about that - it was previously on a domain which I got rid of. It has now been moved to a more appropriate domain.

Thanks to everyone who provided mirrors in the meantime!
Mana Pool PC Game Reviews

Shadow1980

Post by Shadow1980 »

narqelion wrote:As a user I have two questions for the developer Shadow1980, are these icons your own original work or merely smilies you have collected from other sites and are redistributing here? Second what license are they released under, I saw in your first post the following statement:
The only thing Skype requires for use of their smilies is that you use the same tags. The only difference is that instead of their (..) system this uses the more standardized phpbb system of :..: for smilies.
Please don't use this pack for commercial means or on commercial sites.
So they are obviously not GPL licensed....what license did you acquire them under? :)
As stated, these are Skype's smilies - I did not make them but merely put them into a format usable by phpBB3. Therefore I advise people not to use these smilies on a commercial website, but only on non-profit websites or personal projects. (As I highly doubt Skype will give 2 pennies that some guild/clan/community is using their smilies if no commercial gain is at play.)

Hope that answers your questions.
Mana Pool PC Game Reviews

wadie
Name: Wadie

Post by wadie »

Niice smileys. ;)
Need a custom style made ? want me to install a MOD for you ? Contact me here.

prototech
Former Team Member

Post by prototech »

Hello,

According to this blog post and the follow up comments from the author, the Skype emoticons are only allowed to be used in applications that directly interact with Skype.
Peeter P. Mõtsküla commented Wednesday, Sep 13

TesterBoy, your wish is granted :) The Skype Emoticons are now available under the same license from https://developer.skype.com/Download/SkypeEmoticons.

evanwolf, the license only permits the components to be used in your Skype-enabled applications. So you'll have to get in touch with our marketing folks to get permission to use them in any other way. Otherwise, our legal folks may want to get in touch with you, or change their licensing policy to something more tightly controlled.

Finally, the license specifically says that these components must be used without modification or not be used at all.
Need help with MOD/style installations or other phpBB problems? Contact me for a quote.

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned Styles”