Facebook Down?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Daniel Exe

Re: Facebook Down?

Post by Daniel Exe »

1gb of traffic per minute? Considering they have different servers to handle the front end images and static files, and seperate clusters for the database, I don't think they'd be limiting outgoing bandwidth. Probably instead the number of calls to the database from individual users. I wonder if they re-enabled access on regional-basis even. The recovery would benefit from low-latency in that case between the users and the servers.
MichaelC
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Michael Cullum

Post by MichaelC »

Daniel Exe wrote:1gb of traffic per minute? Considering they have different servers to handle the front end images and static files, and seperate clusters for the database, I don't think they'd be limiting outgoing bandwidth. Probably instead the number of calls to the database from individual users. I wonder if they re-enabled access on regional-basis even. The recovery would benefit from low-latency in that case between the users and the servers.
If they did that then people would get database errors. No database errors were recived. More likely bandwidth or maybe regional.
Daniel Exe

Post by Daniel Exe »

I suppose you're right. The number of calls to the front servers would have to be limited then, which would of course limit the number of database queries so as to slowly ease back in to the usual load.
MichaelC
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Michael Cullum

Post by MichaelC »

Daniel Exe wrote:I suppose you're right. The number of calls to the front servers would have to be limited then, which would of course limit the number of database queries so as to slowly ease back in to the usual load.
That sounds most likely probably.
Max M4X WW

Post by Max M4X WW »

Facebook always seems to stop working one way or another!
mushroomguy

Post by mushroomguy »

like any other website, its vulnerable to going down. Google has gone down for me recently too.

Return to “General Discussion”