Deactivated after email address change

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
mcsee

Deactivated after email address change

Post by mcsee »

phpBB 3.0.4
Provista style
Working Forum
No problems

Hi Team,
When a member changes their email address in their profile, they get deactivated from the forum. Is this a setting I've overlooked, or does this happen when changing profile settings.

m
JimA
Former Team Member
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Re: Deactivated after email address change

Post by JimA »

That's intended, a new activation e-mail will be send to the new e-mail address, and when the user clicks the link in that e-mail, the account will be reactivated. :)
Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Former Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.
mcsee

Post by mcsee »

Thanks JimA, it would seem that I get the email regarding activation and not the user.
JimA
Former Team Member
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Post by JimA »

That's probably because you have admin activation turned on.

The way phpBB thinks is that you wanted to check the account after registration, and now when the user changed its details, you might want to check it again. That's why an e-mail has been send to you.
Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Former Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.
miglincit

Post by miglincit »

Can this behavior be deactivated ?

I do want to check for initial registration, but not for every change a user is allowed to do.

thanx

Thomas
Kubbie

Post by Kubbie »

miglincit wrote:Can this behavior be deactivated ?

I do want to check for initial registration, but not for every change a user is allowed to do.

thanx

Thomas
I was wondering if there was a way to deactivate this too.
cotp

Post by cotp »

Same here, I have admin turned on but I don't check the mail as we activate them another way. So once my members change their email they get automatically desactivated and I have no way of knowing it since we don't use the mail system...

If anyone knows a way to not desactivate a member when he/she changes his email I'm very much interested.

Cotp
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

There are two different questions being asked here - one is how to not have an email sent to the admin after an email change and the other is how to disable the deactivation itself.

For the latter, we do not provide assistancein defeating security features of phpbb. The former would require a MOD.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
cotp

Post by cotp »

I don't care as an admin if I receive or not an email... the only thing I want is that my users don't get desactivated when they decide to change their mail. Hope this is not "defeating security features of phpbb" :?

Cotp
cotp

Post by cotp »

I thought of something this morning. If I am not mistaken the email subject is the same if it is for the activation of a new member than if it is for a member that has changed his email.

So if we could differentiate that, it would be at least a good step. A subject like "Someone has changed his email and needs reactivation"

But I still think it could be great to choose if we want them to get desactivated or not.

Maybe another solution:
When we are on admin we choose to receive the emails to activate the accounts.

But we could choose an option that it will be the members who will receive the reactivate account link when they change their email, like in normal mode. Therefore I could stay in admin mode for new members and normal mode for already members.

Cotp
cotp

Post by cotp »

Hello all :)

First sorry about empty messages above, was not able to delete it. If a moderator can do that, it would be great.

I am still interested if someone has a solution for receiving a different message when someone a member has changed his email and need to be re-activated.

Cotp
bsdmike

Post by bsdmike »

I wonder how hard this would be just to make a quick modification to the php code.
All that is really needed is just a tag in the activation email saying this is an email change...
and perhaps the new email address of the user.

Any thoughts?
-Mike
mamba

Post by mamba »

This problem is annoying, and leads to admins getting emails like this:
It's been 2 weeks now. All I did was update my email address. Why is my account still deactivated?
To: "dgfinva" <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 10:55 AM
Subject: Your account has been deactivated

Hello dgfinva,

Your account on "[myforum]" has
been deactivated, most likely due to changes made to your profile. The
administrator of the board will need to activate it before you can log in.
You will receive another notification when this has occurred.

--
Thanks, The Forum Management
Using latest version of PHPBB
triadruid

Post by triadruid »

bsdmike wrote:I wonder how hard this would be just to make a quick modification to the php code.
All that is really needed is just a tag in the activation email saying this is an email change...
and perhaps the new email address of the user.

Any thoughts?
-Mike
This would be a step, but really, it's ludicrous to sell this as a 'security feature'. We LOSE members due to this draconian setting, because you can't even set it to a lower activation threshold than initial registration. Why should changing my email trigger a complete reactivation? If the account was compromised, it was compromised before the profile details changed. We have NEVER had an account be compromised in that fashion, but I can't tell you how many times we have lost members due to the wait to get admin activation done a second time (we get dozens of new users a day, many of which need to be skipped as spammers).
Pit$Bull
Former Team Member
Name: Can't Remember

Post by Pit$Bull »

"You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time."

You have the option of requesting a MOD to change this behavior here http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewforum.php?f=72
Why not take advantage.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”