[Discuss] New language pack system

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Re: [Discuss] New language pack system

Post by Phil » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:30 am

If, for example, Italian users are not satisfied with the quality of the translation, they should contact the translation maintainer. If that appears to be fruitless, they should contact the translator liaison (ameeck). Having multiple translators working on various versions of the same package is unnecessary redundancy and will only serve to confuse the end user. Simply put, most users just want a language pack they can use; they don't want to spend time looking over each one to pick which one they like better.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web

3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:39 am

Phil wrote:If, for example, Italian users are not satisfied with the quality of the translation, they should contact the translation maintainer. If that appears to be fruitless, they should contact the translator liaison (ameeck). Having multiple translators working on various versions of the same package is unnecessary redundancy and will only serve to confuse the end user. Simply put, most users just want a language pack they can use; they don't want to spend time looking over each one to pick which one they like better.
All of this I quoted IMHO is not right.. Italian language it is a very complicated language because of grammar and roots, we can say a whole concept with just one word, that's not for other languages (I speak French, Spanish, English and Italian ofcourse, fluently).. I can say that also for French, because I know that language quite perfectly (8 years in schools, is enough, I guess, also currenctly speaking French here in Berlin) .. where I am by the way learning German by doing, indeed. :)

All of this been said: we, the Italian guys/gals who have high-schools, refuse to use any Italian spaghetti language, that's our habits.. and it is not true that an end user does not have to have the power to select and choose from variouses proposal of translations, we are not stupids, just a bunch of people here, but that does not means we are somehow ignorants or like to lie onto that spaghetti stuff. Thanks.
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
👨‍🏫 | Take a tour to | The Studio | 👨‍🏫

ameeck
Former Team Member

Post by ameeck » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:56 am

Martin Truckenbrodt wrote:Hello,
I can't find the german language pack at the new database. :!: :?:

Update: It's listed here: http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/language_packs-25 but not here: http://www.phpbb.com/languages/

BTW @ Tah Zonemaster and _Vinny_ : Enable Browser Language Detection MOD offers this feature for guests on your board. ;)

Bye Martin
Fixed the German package, thanks :)

Martin Truckenbrodt
Name: Martin Truckenbrodt

Post by Martin Truckenbrodt » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:13 am

Hello Vojtech,
thank you very much.

Bye Martin
Free tutorial: Installing MODs in phpBB 3.0
Advanced Block MOD - Prevent spam on your phpBB 3.0 board with Stop Forum Spam, BotScout, Akismet, Project Honey Pot and several IP-RBL and Domain-RBL DNS blacklists!
My MODs
Use the official phpBB Ideas to vote missing core features!!!

GreenAge
Name: Williams Ramos

Post by GreenAge » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:59 pm

Awesome!

hutne

Post by hutne » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:53 pm

As I do not find any updated package for Norwegian, do you know if anyone is taking care of it?
Am asking, as I am half way through an updated version, but will not complete if anyone else is on the job :twisted:
Hans
Naerboe, Norway

ameeck
Former Team Member

Post by ameeck » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:37 pm

hutne wrote:As I do not find any updated package for Norwegian, do you know if anyone is taking care of it?
Am asking, as I am half way through an updated version, but will not complete if anyone else is on the job :twisted:
We've had one, but it's long inactive, I've sent you a PM about how to continue.

ttuu

Post by ttuu » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:06 pm

What about on-line translation. it is popular in other systems.

ameeck
Former Team Member

Post by ameeck » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:46 pm

ttuu wrote:What about on-line translation. it is popular in other systems.
We've considered that at times.

The system we chose prefers consistency and completness of translations. By having one appointed maintainer and a policy to accept only finished language packs, we make sure those two criteria are met.

Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:58 am

Phil wrote:If, for example, Italian users are not satisfied with the quality of the translation, they should contact the translation maintainer. If that appears to be fruitless, they should contact the translator liaison (ameeck).
That's reasonable, but what happens if the translator disagrees and won't fix things?
Erik Frèrejean wrote:Having multiple translators working on various versions of the same package is unnecessary redundancy and will only serve to confuse the end user. Simply put, most users just want a language pack they can use; they don't want to spend time looking over each one to pick which one they like better.
Is the same true of MODs? If one submitted MOD basically does the same thing as another, do you tell the second MOD's author to contact the first MOD's author? If not, why are translations different?

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

ameeck
Former Team Member

Post by ameeck » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:23 am

Pony99CA wrote:
Phil wrote:If, for example, Italian users are not satisfied with the quality of the translation, they should contact the translation maintainer. If that appears to be fruitless, they should contact the translator liaison (ameeck).
That's reasonable, but what happens if the translator disagrees and won't fix things?

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:38 am

ameeck wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:
My English reading skills are excellent, thank you, so bolding text won't help. It's like speaking louder in your native language to somebody who speaks another language, hoping that volume will make them understand better. :roll:

If you noticed, my post quoted Phil's text (including the bold text) already. The obvious (or so I thought) implication was what happens if the user did all of that and the translator disagreed with the initial complaint. For example, are you going to drop the translation just because some user complains? If you don't speak the language, how will you know who is right?

Steve
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

Post by DavidIQ » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:26 pm

The whole point is that ameeck would make a decision based on this non-responsiveness and replace the translator, deactivate the language pack from downloading, or whatever else comes to mind. Bottom line is since it's his department he would only be able to make such a decision if he is contacted.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.

ameeck
Former Team Member

Post by ameeck » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:39 pm

You're raising many what-ifs which have never appeared and I do not expect to see most of them appear in the future.

If in time such a situation comes, I'm sure I'll find a way to handle it.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:25 am

DavidIQ wrote:The whole point is that ameeck would make a decision based on this non-responsiveness and replace the translator, deactivate the language pack from downloading, or whatever else comes to mind. Bottom line is since it's his department he would only be able to make such a decision if he is contacted.
Thanks, that's what I was wondering about.

Now if somebody can answer the question about multiple versions of language packs compared to similar MODs. For example, I could envision multiple U.S. dialects for English (Southern y'all, like totally Valley Girl, etc.). They'd be more for fun, of course, but why shouldn't they be allowed? There are already formal and informal honorific packs to some languages, so why not allow different translations. For 3Di, maybe there could be "good" Italian and "spaghetti" Italian (whatever that is).

Steve

Return to “phpBB Discussion”