500 Internal Server Error on update

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Traction

500 Internal Server Error on update

Post by Traction »

I just tried to update to 3.0.8 and I get this:

Code: Select all

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
I checked the permissions and they are correct on config.php (666), and those directories (cache, store, files, and images/avatars/upload/, which are 777). Do all the files inside have to be 777 too? What's wrong?
Failure is not an option.
Zap! Classic Video Game Forums
d1m0

Re: 500 Internal Server Error on update

Post by d1m0 »

You may start off by checking your error log for the exact reason for the error. I would also advise you to avoid using 666 or 777 permissions, on most hosts this would result in an Internal Server Error (as in your case). Try setting the permissions to 755, this should resolve the problem.
SiteGround Technical Support Team Member
Check out our special phpBB hosting package
Traction

Post by Traction »

d1m0 wrote:You may start off by checking your error log for the exact reason for the error. I would also advise you to avoid using 666 or 777 permissions, on most hosts this would result in an Internal Server Error (as in your case). Try setting the permissions to 755, this should resolve the problem.
In ADM, there is nothing in the error log. I changed the permissions and still nothing. I am giving up, this seems hopeless. :(
Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader
Name: Patrick Webster

Post by Noxwizard »

The error log you need to be checking will be in your web hosting panel somewhere. If you don't know where it is, you will need to ask your host. When exactly do you get the error, what page, what did you just click, etc...?
[Support Template] - [Read Before Posting] - [phpBB Knowledge Base]
Do not contact me for private support, please share the question in our forums.
Traction

Post by Traction »

Noxwizard wrote:The error log you need to be checking will be in your web hosting panel somewhere. If you don't know where it is, you will need to ask your host. When exactly do you get the error, what page, what did you just click, etc...?
Well it starts updating correctly, says 25 of 150 completed, then goes to 50, then the error message. I will look around for the error log on the GoDaddy page. I just optimized the tables, but it didn't help.
Traction

Post by Traction »

Ugg, I found the error log. Here's what it says:

Code: Select all

[Tue Nov 23 01:34:57 2010] [error] [client 98.116.9.91] Premature end of script headers: /var/chroot/home/content/z/a/p/zaponline/html/forums/install/index.php
Traction

Post by Traction »

Anyone? I found the error log, what does it mean? ^^^
Volksdevil
Name: Neil

Post by Volksdevil »

I'd like to know also...Having the exact same problem as are others.
My phpBB Extensions
Finally found great Website Hosting from Image KUALO!
Do NOT use 123-reg.co.uk - Incapable of running phpBB!
:ugeek: TekNeil - Streamer on Mixer | My Volkswagen Corrado G60
narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Post by narqelion »

Traction wrote:Anyone? I found the error log, what does it mean? ^^^
It means the script died (or was killed by a procwatch) before it completed. You will get nothing further than that without more detailed logging enabled, sorry. http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... #p12902310
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

d1m0 wrote:You may start off by checking your error log for the exact reason for the error. I would also advise you to avoid using 666 or 777 permissions, on most hosts this would result in an Internal Server Error (as in your case). Try setting the permissions to 755, this should resolve the problem.
this is not quite accurate.

during installation, you usually need to change the chmod of config.php to 666 then back to 644 aftwards.

also, in most cases, if the folders mentioned above are not set to 777 phpbb3 will not let you complete the install.

yes, certain hosts' settings will throw errors when you set certain folders to 777. however I have not seen this happen for a phpbb install yet.

robert
p.s.
I see you are tech support for siteground.
you should do a search here for siteground and you will see many, many problems that have been caused by the way that siteground sets up their servers etc.
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
d1m0

Post by d1m0 »

during installation, you usually need to change the chmod of config.php to 666 then back to 644 aftwards.

also, in most cases, if the folders mentioned above are not set to 777 phpbb3 will not let you complete the install.
I have completed numerous phpBB installations (and I'm talking about manual installations, not through Fantastico) and not even once have I had to change config.php perms to 666. Of course, this depends on the server setup, but on SiteGround servers phpBB installations work out of the box, you simply extract the package and proceed with the installation.
I see you are tech support for siteground.
you should do a search here for siteground and you will see many, many problems that have been caused by the way that siteground sets up their servers etc

The SiteGround support team, me included, is ready to help anyone who is experiencing issues with the installation of any application, not just phpBB. And if you do a search here for siteground and read some of the posts, you'll see that the reported problems are rarely caused by our server setup.

Anyway, I don't want to turn this thread off topic, and I'm sure you had good intentions when you said this, so I'll just finish off by saying that any forum member is welcome to PM me with any questions/problems regarding our servers :)
SiteGround Technical Support Team Member
Check out our special phpBB hosting package

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”