Update from 3.0.7 to 3.0.8 - 500 Server Error error

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
uw168

Update from 3.0.7 to 3.0.8 - 500 Server Error error

Post by uw168 »

I have downloaded the automatic update files. I ran the update from the Mozilla Firefox. The update for the database was completed. But when it tried to update(file check) the different files form 20 to 50 of 150. Than it shows 500 Server Error page and stop... Please help to fix the error. Thanks.
Make A New Website? --- USWebCity.com
>> Web Hosting Ratings and Reviews <<
:)
narqelion
I've Been Banned!

Re: Update from 3.0.7 to 3.0.8 - 500 Server Error error

Post by narqelion »

Those of you running into 500 Internal Server Errors during the checking files stage of the Automatic Update are likely hitting PHP server resource constraints set by your hosting providers. Generally 500 errors are logged into your web site's error log, however many of the lower cost shared hosting packages do not have this enabled by default and some do not support it at all. To find the specific cause of your error you would need to see what information was captured and logged in that error log. Without that information you can only guess at which server setting is causing the issue although it is more often than not a memory limit or script timeout.

There are few options for those faced with this problem. The two most chosen paths are to use the full package to update and then re-apply all MOD's or to attempt an offline update using a local copy of your hosted board.
uw168

Post by uw168 »

I will try the local comuter updating. Thanks.
blackcrypt

Post by blackcrypt »

Isn't the point of an automatic update so that it removes all the faffing about especially for those of us who are not so up to speed on the technicalities?

I'm getting the same error. Same situation. I get no error logging info from my cheap 1&1 domain.

I do not know how or where to change file permissions.

Please help. In layman terms please.
wired076

Post by wired076 »

blackcrypt wrote:Isn't the point of an automatic update so that it removes all the faffing about especially for those of us who are not so up to speed on the technicalities?

I'm getting the same error. Same situation. I get no error logging info from my cheap 1&1 domain.

I do not know how or where to change file permissions.

Please help. In layman terms please.
Yes it is but unfortunately phpBB cannot control the setup of your hosts webserver to accommodate for this.

If you wish to try an offline conversion try using easyphp to create a local webserver for you to perform the upgrade.

Please note you will need to backup your phpBB files and database and put these onto the local webserver instance then place back onto your web host after the upgrade.

I tried to find you an article in the knowledgebase on how to do this but one doesn't exist.

If you need more help I will write a knowledge base article for you to follow.
uw168

Post by uw168 »

Yes, I tried an offline conversion by using the EasyPHP5.3.3.1 to create a local webserver and perform the upgrade. It works fine for my forum.
blackcrypt

Post by blackcrypt »

Sorry for my previous, tetchy? post.

I sat down and looked at it again with a calmer head. I copied the 'changes since last version' files to my server and the visited the update file and it all works beautifully.

Thank you for your offer of help. Maybe you could write one anyway for other unfortunate souls who get lost on the way to phpbb3 heaven?
wired076

Post by wired076 »

uw168 wrote:Yes, I tried an offline conversion by using the EasyPHP5.3.3.1 to create a local webserver and perform the upgrade. It works fine for my forum.
That's great news!
blackcrypt wrote:Sorry for my previous, tetchy? post.

I sat down and looked at it again with a calmer head. I copied the 'changes since last version' files to my server and the visited the update file and it all works beautifully.

Thank you for your offer of help. Maybe you could write one anyway for other unfortunate souls who get lost on the way to phpbb3 heaven?
No problems we all get a bit frustrated when we try something and it doesn't work and we are not sure how to proceed.

I will try and add this to my list of things to get done however it may take me a little bit of time to get to as I am currently working hard on getting some mods ready for validation to the mod database.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”