Problem with localized button images after upgrading ->3.0.8

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
manicx

Problem with localized button images after upgrading ->3.0.8

Post by manicx » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:54 am

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.0.8
What is your board's URL? http://www.greekwrestling.net/forum/
Who do you host your board with? honstmonster
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
Is your board a fresh install or a conversion? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? No
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.0.7
What styles do you currently have installed? Odyssey (updated to 3.0.8 changes)
What language(s) is your board currently using? Greek (el)
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5
What is your level of experience? Experienced with PHP and phpBB
When did your problem begin? After upgrading from 3.0.7pl1 to 3.0.8.
Please describe your problem. Occasionally and even though the language in my profile is set to English, only the images for buttons appear to be Greek. If I hit refresh (F5) in Firefox, the images refresh back to English. This was not happening before the upgrade from 3.0.7pl1 to 3.0.8. I have not managed to find a way to reproduce the problem (seems to happen randomly) and it happened in two different PCs, both using latest firefox release (3.6.12).
Generated by SRT Generator ($Rev: 4502 $)
Attachments
Example of the problem
Example of the problem
problem.jpg (17.96 KiB) Viewed 1458 times

manicx

Re: Problem with localized button images after upgrading ->3

Post by manicx » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:33 pm

After several tests, I concluded the following:

Directly on the web server with
  • Official Greek Translation (3.0.8 v2)και English
  • phpBB 3.0.8
  • clean installation of the web content(v3.0.8) (the forum folder) with no extra styles or mods
  • Default language Greek
  • Default style prosilver
  • The same DB that I was using and is updated to 3.0.8
Outcome: The problem remains. I cleaned the browser cache and the forum cahce. If you log in with a user that has English as default language, the buttons will remain in the default forum language, ie Greek for me. If you refresh the page in the browser (with F5) then the images change to English. If you logout, the images will still be in English and you need to hit refresh in the browser again to turn into English.

On my PC with WAMP Unofficial
  • German (3.0.8 ) and English
  • phpBB 3.0.8
  • clean installation of the web content(v3.0.8) (the forum folder) with no extra styles or mods
  • Default language German
  • Default style prosilver
  • The same DB that I was using and is updated to 3.0.8
Outcome: Same problem. I used German to eliminate the posibility of broken language pack. Exactly the same behaviour as above. I also used IE (I use Firefox) to verify the problem.

I attach images with the issue

Web Server:

Image Image Image Image

From Left to Right:

1-> Clean Install no logged in (it has English from user session but should be Greek, the default forum language)
2-> Clean Install no logged in after refreshing web page (changed to the correct Greek lang)
3-> Clean Install logged in (incorrectly displays Greek button images, should be English)
4-> Clean Install logged in after refreshing web page(changed to the correct English lang))

Local PC with WAMP (and a completely different PC from the one I tested the web server

Image Image Image Image

From Left to Right:

1-> Clean Install no logged in (it has German from user session but should be Greek, the default forum language)
2-> Clean Install no logged in after refreshing web page (changed to the correct German lang)
3-> Clean Install logged in (incorrectly displays German button images, should be English)
4-> Clean Install logged in after refreshing web page(changed to the correct English lang))

I repeat that the problem appeared after the upgrade from 3.0.7 pl1 to 3.0.8. I would appreciate any directions as to what to look for.
Last edited by manicx on Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pit$Bull
Former Team Member
Name: Can't Remember

Post by Pit$Bull » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:51 pm

Give this a try:
Change your cookies to
phpbb3_o2x9m
ACP->main page->cookie settings.
Clear your browser cookies.
Be sure your browser is accepting cookies.

Are other users experiencing the same issue?

manicx

Post by manicx » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:59 pm

Pit$Bull wrote:Give this a try:
Change your cookies to
phpbb3_o2x9m
ACP->main page->cookie settings.
Clear your browser cookies.
Be sure your browser is accepting cookies.

Are other users experiencing the same issue?
Hi there

I tried changing the cookies to the one you said. Cleaned browser cache, cookies, history. Tried the same scenario and it happened again.

I also registered a new user to test the scenario and it happens with this user too.

Here's another interesting find. If I reverse the languages, ie put the default of the board to English and then the user language to something else (say Greek), it works as it should. It's only the other way around when the default is Greek and user has English that gives me problems.

In my WAMP installation, I also tried to delete the Greek lang from the setup completely and from the file system and reinstall it. Same thing happened. I make all these tests with prosilver set as default.

Pit$Bull
Former Team Member

Post by Pit$Bull » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:08 pm

Have you tried refreshing the image set in each style?

manicx

Post by manicx » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:29 pm

Yes. I refreshed the imageset. The link when the image is Greek and should be English is pointing to the the el directory in prosilver folder. If I hit refresh, it points to en.

Strangely enough, the above test for reversing the languages made me suspicious. I changed the Anonymous language to el (Greek) in the _users table (was english). Now the issue disappears when the board has Greek as default and user has english. however, the problem is now reversed and I have problems if the default is English and the User has Greek.

Pit$Bull
Former Team Member

Post by Pit$Bull » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:35 pm

It's a bad idea to make these changes in the database, should be done via the ACP.

I'm out of ideas for you to try and this topic will remain open for others to comment.

manicx

Post by manicx » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:06 pm

I just made a clean installation. The problem exists in a completely new installation. I managed to reproduce it with two languages, English and Greek. English is user's selection and Greek is default for forum. I attach two images, one when I am not logged in and should be Greek and one when I am logged in and should be English. I followed the same testing logic as above. The installation is clean 3.0.8 and the database is also clean 3.0.8. The only addition is the Greek language pack. I will also install another language later or tomorrow but personally, it smells like a bug to me. In 3.0.6 there was a similar bug for the images.
Attachments
Not logged in
Not logged in
clean_not_loggedin.jpg (133.67 KiB) Viewed 1377 times
clean_loggedin.jpg
clean_loggedin.jpg (121.15 KiB) Viewed 1377 times

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:38 pm

If you F5 you are getting the correct images?

manicx

Post by manicx » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:17 pm

Yes... Either when I am logged in or not logged in and I see the wrong images.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:03 pm

This is a webbrowser caching problem. Webbrowsers will typically not reload a stylesheet unless the stylesheet file has changed datestamps. Prosilver-based stylesheets are built dynamically from style.php, and style.php's timestamp does not change, therefore webbrowsers are reluctant to reload the stylesheet.

manicx

Post by manicx » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:17 pm

But this didn't happen with 3.0.7 pl1. It started happening when I upgraded to 3.0.8. I am 100% sure about this. Also, if I change the Anonymous user's lang in the database to el (Greek) as I said earlier, the behaviour changes so it doesn't seem to be a browser issue.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:19 pm

When you refresh your browser, you get the correct data. Therefore, it is a browser problem.

manicx

Post by manicx » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:31 pm

Well, if it was a browser problem, it would happen for sometime, not after upgrading to 3.0.8. And if it was a browser problem, if I was changing the Anonymous language in _users table, it would still be the same, but the behaviour changes.Tomorrow I will restore a 3.0.7 backup of the database together with 3.0.7 installation and check it. If there's no problem, will it still be a browser problem?

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:36 pm

manicx wrote: the behaviour changes.
But you said you were still getting the correct images when you refresh. Otherwise, it might still show the previous images it showed before you changed the language. I would expect it to keep showing you the same images it showed last time you viewed your forum, regardless of what the default or selected language is.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”