Had some update probs

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Chaos-Zero

Had some update probs

Post by Chaos-Zero »

Hi guys,

Today, i thought it was a great day to update my forum. I was wrong. It went terrible wrong. Just because i downloaded the complete forum instead of the update. So i thouhght i was installing the update but instead of the update the 'welcome' page came up.
So i installed it with the database settings which i did before. Everything went fine. The settings were back, but my forums, posts and members and stuff like that, were gone. Even the banner picture was back.

So, what do i have to do, to even have the members, posts and forums back? They are still in the database, but there aint no option to get it back?

Please, can someone help me out?
Last edited by Pit$Bull on Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic icon changed
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Had some update probs

Post by KevC »

You need to edit the config.php file to look at the database where all the users and posts are.

There is a built in protection that won't let you overwrite an existing installation with a new one.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
Chaos-Zero

Post by Chaos-Zero »

I have this atm:
<?php
// phpBB 3.0.x auto-generated configuration file
// Do not change anything in this file!
$dbms = 'mysql';
$dbhost = '';
$dbport = '';
$dbname = 'alex_forum';
$dbuser = 'alex';
$dbpasswd = 'XXXXX';
$table_prefix = '';
$acm_type = 'file';
$load_extensions = '';

@define('PHPBB_INSTALLED', true);
// @define('DEBUG', true);
// @define('DEBUG_EXTRA', true);
?>
The users and stuff are located in the 'alex_forum' and then in 'phpbb_forumusers'.

The settings are still there, but the members, posts and forums are gone. So what did i wrong besides installing the wrong stuff :P

Edit: I see my settings are gone now aswell. When i installed the 308 update there were still there. I thought, maybe the update is using another database name or something, so i installed 307 again, but nothing helped me out.

But one more question atm, if the database is the same as before, then the topics, members, forums and posts are still there right? I mean, they are not in a standard phpbb downloaded file right?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Chaos-Zero wrote:$table_prefix = '';
You need something in there.

$table_prefix = 'phpbb_';

And this bit
$dbhost = '';

should probably be
$dbhost = 'localhost';
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
Chaos-Zero

Post by Chaos-Zero »

Kevin Clark wrote:
Chaos-Zero wrote:$table_prefix = '';
You need something in there.

$table_prefix = 'phpbb_';

And this bit
$dbhost = '';

should probably be
$dbhost = 'localhost';
Didnt help. Only the language changed to Dutch.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Basically if all the info is still in the database and you can't see it on the forum then the config.php info is not correct. It's not looking at THAT database.
Chaos-Zero

Post by Chaos-Zero »

Yeah, thats exactly what i thouhght. I havnt lose anything yet, only on the forum itself. I dont really know what i do wrong..
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Obvious things to double check are the database name and the table prefix.
Chaos-Zero

Post by Chaos-Zero »

Kevin Clark wrote:Obvious things to double check are the database name and the table prefix.
I did. Also, when i try to restore an old back up, nothing has been restored... Whats the matter.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

You don't need to restore anything. You said the database is still there. You just need the right config.php info to connect to it.
Chaos-Zero

Post by Chaos-Zero »

Kevin Clark wrote:You don't need to restore anything. You said the database is still there. You just need the right config.php info to connect to it.
Damn wtf is this. I reinstalled it with 307, but now i see its 308. Is it possible that that could be the problem? Im sure i overwrote all the files from 308 with 307.
So, atm i have 308 and yesterday (when it did work) i had 307. When i download 307 again, can i just copy and paste it to my FTP?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

The version number doesn't matter at the moment. Getting the old users and posts to show up does. You can sort the version later.

What's the site address?
Chaos-Zero

Post by Chaos-Zero »

Kevin Clark wrote:The version number doesn't matter at the moment. Getting the old users and posts to show up does. You can sort the version later.

What's the site address?
http://generation-lost.com/forum/index.php

Suddenly, everthing is in Dutch as well, since its set on English.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

The board is disabled so I can't see anything but are you saying that currently has no posts and just the basic installation user?
Chaos-Zero

Post by Chaos-Zero »

Kevin Clark wrote:The board is disabled so I can't see anything but are you saying that currently has no posts and just the basic installation user?
Jup, just the welcome post and me. Nothing else. I had over 600 member and 25k posts, so yeah, its kind of sad when i can hook it back up again. Its one of my greatest hobbies.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”