phpbbWiki - An idea.....but I need help.

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Scam Warning
TheMightySpud

phpbbWiki - An idea.....but I need help.

Post by TheMightySpud »

Hi all,

I've had an idea for a mod due to not being able to find anything suitable in the world of Wiki's.

The problem is that all the Wiki's I've seen are pretty much the same and don't give much in the way of visual customisation.

Ideally I want a wiki system that I can easily fit into my own website design, and as it's sort of a 'non-standard' layout/design, freely available wiki systems just aren't cutting it.

So I had a thought. Using phpBB as a backend, why not try to come up with a way to create a wiki system based on the forum.

So, here's what I came up with.......

The menu is made up of Thread titles within a specific Forum (For example, a Forum called 'Wiki' with numerous threads, the title of these threads appear as menu items), and then when you click on the title, the entire article (or thread post) appears in the output section.

I've been using something similar (Front Page News Syndication mod) off this site for a while and from my limited understanding of how it works, this idea seems to be a simple extension of how that works, but I can't seem to figure it out by myself)

I hoping that someone could and is willing to have a crack at this, as I honestly think it would be a pretty good addition to the phpbb system.

Thanks,
TheMightySpud
AmigoJack

Re: phpbbWiki - An idea.....but I need help.

Post by AmigoJack »

• Lookup the meaning of the word Wiki, then you'll understand why there is no (or little) focus on the visualization.
  • The menu bar is mostly a waste of place - even if you have 30 links it will still waste space since the content pane on the right is mostly outsizing everything. Putting links and everything either on top or to the bottom is always better (only exception: you definitly know that your payload content will be rather tiny or always have the same height).
  • If you want to put all topics from a forum into the left pane and display all posts of one topic on the right pane: what should be displayed initially? All forums on the left pane, yes... but then we have no initial content for the right pane... Also think of that with every page generation a list of topics will always be re-send to every client, which consumes server bandwidth and CPU cost. Regarding this, the current phpBB is already very efficient in its visualization.
  • It'd be surely possible. However, I'd go for fully creating own files, since the existing ones (viewforum, viewtopic, index) would have to be modified evasively - not to speak of the template files.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
TheMightySpud

Post by TheMightySpud »

AmigoJack wrote:
I understand that, but I want the information to fit in with the design of my site. It's a personal thing. :)
AmigoJack wrote:
  • The menu bar is mostly a waste of place - even if you have 30 links it will still waste space since the content pane on the right is mostly outsizing everything. Putting links and everything either on top or to the bottom is always better (only exception: you definitly know that your payload content will be rather tiny or always have the same height).
The image I posted above is just an example, my site doesn't have that layout, it was just easier to use that to explain what I was looking for
AmigoJack wrote:
  • If you want to put all topics from a forum into the left pane and display all posts of one topic on the right pane: what should be displayed initially? All forums on the left pane, yes... but then we have no initial content for the right pane... Also think of that with every page generation a list of topics will always be re-send to every client, which consumes server bandwidth and CPU cost. Regarding this, the current phpBB is already very efficient in its visualization.
I don't know if I was clear or not in the intial explanation. Each Topic would essentially be an Article, each containing only a single post, so showing multiple posts is irrelevant. As for the initial content, that's something that I can figure out later.
AmigoJack wrote:
  • It'd be surely possible. However, I'd go for fully creating own files, since the existing ones (viewforum, viewtopic, index) would have to be modified evasively - not to speak of the template files.
[/list]
[/quote]

This part I really don't understand.....why would any files need to be modified? I wouldn't be using any of them. What I want to do is simply extract the content and display it on a page which has no relation to any of the phpbb files.

If you look at the news mod I posted in the initial post, you'll see that all it does is extract the info from the database.

The reason I want to use phpbb is that everything is already there. login/security etc. so why re-invent the wheel and not use resources already available? :)

Thanks
TheMightySpud
Last edited by TheMightySpud on Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

TheMightySpud wrote:Each Topic would essentially be an Article, each containing only a single post
Why not having each post be an article? Having a topic for each then makes only sense if you later want to implement comments (replies) or such...
TheMightySpud wrote:simply extract the content and display it on a page which has no relation to any of the phpbb files
...and for that you won't need your own PHP files? And HTML rendering system? I'd use existing phpBB mechanisms to achieve what you want to.
TheMightySpud wrote:If you look at the news mod I posted in the initial post
Which initial post? I supposed you wanted to turn an existing phpBB into the layout you mentioned - thus the vague intention to modify existing files. Existing or newly created files always "extract" from the database.
TheMightySpud wrote:so why re-invent the wheel and not use resources already available?
That was my intention all the time: by creating own files you can use many existing routines - bascially you just reposition most of them and augment the one or other. Creating own files also makes you more independant once you're about to update the phpBB software.

P.S.: Funny how you managed to severily damaging the site layout with faulty BBCode - didn't know this was possible. :D
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
TheMightySpud

Post by TheMightySpud »

Ooopsy, my bad about knackering the layout LOL.

Fixed it now. :)

---------------------------------------------------------

In regards to the proposed mod, I think I may have explained it badly from the beginning, so I apologise for that, and shall attempt to clarify :)

Firstly....

This is news system I've been using in conjunction with phpbb and thought it might be a good starting point for this idea....[click here]

The way I have it working (in my head at least as I don't really know where to start myself) is that the mod would consist of 2 PHP files. One for the menu, and another for actually viewing the articles/posts which could then (by way of SSI) be included in any web layout.

I understand what you said about posts vs. topics it's something to think about, although I think having each Topic be an article as opposed to posts would ease the task of editing (if each post was an article it would mean searching through x amount of posts to find the right one, if you get what I mean)

I'm trying to figure out how to do it myself, but I'll be honest, I'm having my issues LOL

Thanks
TheMightySpud
TheMightySpud

Post by TheMightySpud »

Well then......I've been playing around with this idea for a few hours now, and I think I may have cracked it.

I'm sure the way I've coded it is going to earn me a shouting at as it's probably full of vulnerabilities and whatnot, but as it stands I've got it doing what I want it to do.

I've created a demo for it HERE

As you can see it pulls the information from the phpbb database and displays as needed.

I've also created a test backend which you guys can have a play around with........HERE

Username : testuser
Password : testuser

Just one note, most of the formatting is handled automatically, but for carriage returns you need to enter three Hash symbols ( ### ) It's a bit messy, but for the moment I can live with it. :)

I'd like to hear what you think.

Thanks
TheMightySpud
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

For turning CR or LF into HTML line breaks use bbcode_nl2br() from /includes/functions_content.php or the native PHP function nl2br().

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Requests”