PHP-NUKE to phpBB3 Convertor 1.2

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
Suggested Hosts
ikvat

Re: PHP-NUKE to phpBB3 Convertor 1.2

Post by ikvat »

Hi and thanks for your tool.
I'll just do a conversion test this afternoon. Is it risky for my phpnuke forum in case of problem?
Thx
D¡cky
Former Team Member
Name: Richard Foote

Post by D¡cky »

ikvat wrote:Hi and thanks for your tool.
I'll just do a conversion test this afternoon. Is it risky for my phpnuke forum in case of problem?
Thx
It is not risky for your PHP-Nuke forum. The convertor only reads from it. It doesn't write anything to it or modify it in anyway.
Have you hugged someone today?
ikvat

Post by ikvat »

Thx Dicky ;)
It works like a charm.
pissa

Post by pissa »

As posted earlier, I got stuck with the strange error during my conversion of phpbb2 board on
my phpnuke 8.0 based site.
Can someone tell me if this converter works only with a certain version of phpbb3??
What's the difference between this converter vs the one included with "phpBB3ToNuke-3.0.5-Full"
package from the nuke korea team?

This forum thread has "convert_nuke.php" & "functions_nuke.php" (Where I get the error)

The other package has "convert_bbtonuke.php" & "functions_bbtonuke.php"

Copyright message seems to show both of these are from the same author..
Appreciate some clarification...
D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky »

pissa wrote:As posted earlier, I got stuck with the strange error during my conversion of phpbb2 board on
my phpnuke 8.0 based site.
Can someone tell me if this converter works only with a certain version of phpbb3??
This convertor is designed to work with the latest version of phpBB3, 3.0.8 as of this writing. It will work with some earlier versions, but is not recommended as you should always use the latest version. If you convert to an earlier version, you will have to update your board, so you may as well start with the latest version saving you the trouble to update.
pissa wrote:What's the difference between this converter vs the one included with "phpBB3ToNuke-3.0.5-Full"
package from the nuke korea team?

This forum thread has "convert_nuke.php" & "functions_nuke.php" (Where I get the error)

The other package has "convert_bbtonuke.php" & "functions_bbtonuke.php"

Copyright message seems to show both of these are from the same author..
Appreciate some clarification...
phpBB is written under the GPL license which means that anyone is free to modify and distribute it. Leaving the original copyright and authors' name in is part of that agreement. That being said, no one on the phpBB team wrote anything for the nuke Korea team, so no one on the phpBB team knows what the difference is between this convertor and the one from the nuke Korea team.

This convertor is designed to convert PHP-Nuke to a stand-alone phpBB3 board. Possibly the nuke Korea convertor is designed to convert to some type of integrated board. You need to use the proper convertor for the type of board that you are converting to. If you are using the nuke2bb convertor and are having a problem with it, you need to ask at where you got the convertor from for support.
pissa

Post by pissa »

Thanks Dicky! Actually the error I got was from the converter in this thread and after reading your post
that maybe because I used it with the phpbb 3.0.5.
As far as I can tell the converter packaged by the NUkeKorea team does the same thing (meaning it just
converts my phpbb2 board into a standalone phpbb3 board).

I read some more posts and came to the realization that these convertion processes
(both by the phpbb team and the nukekorea team) will not allow me to
simply replace my phpbb2 based board integrated into my phpnuke8.0 cms.
I was hoping after the conversion I could somehow disable my old board and let my existing users
continue with the new board.

My understanding at this point is that this is still doable by using a "bridge" kit developed by someone else.
This includes some file updates and manual edits.

Can you confirm that this understanding of mine is accurate?

To be specific I plan to do the following:

1) Install the latest phpbb3 files.
2) Use the converter in this forum to convert my existing phpbb2 board into a standalone phpbb3 board.
3) Implemet the bridge from phpbb2 into phpbb3 so that the new phpb3 board will function the same way
integrated in my phpnuke evironment for existing & new users/admins.

If the above will work I'm happy..
D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky »

Using 3.0.5 should not be causing the error you are getting. Either the convertor is not including all the necessary files due to improper installation of 3.0.5 or something on your server is blocking acesss to that function.

There used to be a bridge available for bridging phpBB3 to PHP-Nuke, but I believe the author has removed it It was call OSC2Nuke or something like that.

Looking at the nukekorea site, it appears that they have successfully integrated phpBB3 with PHP-Nuke and called it phpBB3toNuke so I would think you would want to go with that solution.
Prosk8er
Name: Tyler

Post by Prosk8er »

D¡cky wrote:Using 3.0.5 should not be causing the error you are getting. Either the convertor is not including all the necessary files due to improper installation of 3.0.5 or something on your server is blocking acesss to that function.

There used to be a bridge available for bridging phpBB3 to PHP-Nuke, but I believe the author has removed it It was call OSC2Nuke or something like that.

Looking at the nukekorea site, it appears that they have successfully integrated phpBB3 with PHP-Nuke and called it phpBB3toNuke so I would think you would want to go with that solution.
someone took over the bridge i seen it one time and downloaded it but dont remember where i got it from i would search google for it i still have the download i'll look at it to see if it says where i got it

*the bridge i found is for ravennuke and it comes with a converter for ravennuke phpBB2 to the bridges phpBB3 its on the tricked out news site
ghostgeek

Post by ghostgeek »

I’m attempting to use this scrip and I’m getting the dreaded blank white screen. My knowledge of PHP is limited, and its been some time since I’ve worked with my old Nuke site, so I’ll try and spell out every step I’ve done in hopes someone can assist.

First things first. I host my site on Go Daddy servers. This is a shared hosting account, so I don’t think I even have access to the php error log. :(

Here is what I’ve done so far…

My PHPNuke install is on the root level of my domain.

I installed PHPbb v 3.0.7 via Go Daddys application install feature. Everything seems to have gone smoothly, and I now have a working PHPbb install residing at..

http://MYDOMAIN.com/phpbb

I downloaded the PHPNuke to PHPbb converter. I’ve changed the following lines in the nuke_converter.php file...

'dbms' => $dbms,
'dbhost' => $dbhost,
'dbport' => $dbport,
'dbuser' => $dbuser,
'dbpasswd' => '',
'dbname' => $dbname,
'table_prefix' => 'nuke_',
'forum_path' => '../nuke/modules/Forums/',

To the following (copied values from my config.php file under my Nuke install)…

'dbms' => $dbms,
'dbhost' => 'p50mysql165.secureserver.net',
'dbport' => $dbport,
'dbuser' => 'MYUSERNAME',
'dbpasswd' => 'MYPASSWORD',
'dbname' => 'MYDBNAME',
'table_prefix' => 'nuke_',
'forum_path' => 'http://MYDOMAIN.com/modules.php?name=Forums',

Next I uploaded both my new convert_nuke.php and the default functions_nuke.php files to the top directory of my new PHPbb install, I.E:

http://MYDOMAIN.com/phpbb

Next, I attempt to call the convert script by going here…

http://MYDOMAIN.com/phpbb/convert_nuke.php

But alas all I resolve is the blank white screen.

Again, I’m not even sure if I have access to the PHP error logs. So hopefully I’ve simply omitted something stupid that someone can point out.

Thanks for all assistance!
D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky »

ghostgeek wrote:I downloaded the PHPNuke to PHPbb converter. I’ve changed the following lines in the nuke_converter.php file...
Why would you make those changes? There is nowhere in the instructions that says to do that.
ghostgeek wrote:But alas all I resolve is the blank white screen.
You get the blank screen immediately when accessing the convertor? This indicates corrupted or missing files.

Using the one-click install provided by your host is not recommended.
1) The one-click installs install an older version of phpBB.
2) The one-click installs do not install the database according to phpBB3 standards and can cause problems.
3) Also, the one-click installs usually delete the install directory upon completion which is probably why you are getting the blank page because the install directory files are missing.
You can get and upload the install directory from the Downloads page.

I recommend that you delete the one-click install and use the phpBB package from here to install phpBB.
ghostgeek

Post by ghostgeek »

D¡cky wrote:
ghostgeek wrote:I downloaded the PHPNuke to PHPbb converter. I’ve changed the following lines in the nuke_converter.php file...
Why would you make those changes? There is nowhere in the instructions that says to do that.
I tried it both ways. I tried it with the default values, and it didn't work. I looked through your code and saw those fields. I figured I might need to put my info in those fields - just as config.php for PHPNuke needs to be customized.

Why try steps not in the instructions? Because not ALL programmers explain **ALL** the steps. There is the good, the bad and the ugly. Some coders I've seen omit important steps from the instructions, because they ASSUME everyone knows what they are doing. What's "obvious" to a programmer, is oblivious to a non-programmer.
D¡cky wrote:
ghostgeek wrote:But alas all I resolve is the blank white screen.
You get the blank screen immediately when accessing the convertor? This indicates corrupted or missing files.

Using the one-click install provided by your host is not recommended.
1) The one-click installs install an older version of phpBB.
2) The one-click installs do not install the database according to phpBB3 standards and can cause problems.
3) Also, the one-click installs usually delete the install directory upon completion which is probably why you are getting the blank page because the install directory files are missing.
You can get and upload the install directory from the Downloads page.

I recommend that you delete the one-click install and use the phpBB package from here to install phpBB.
I will do as you say - delete this install and do it manually. Thank you for your help!
ghostgeek

Post by ghostgeek »

OK Dicky...

I've done as you suggested - blew away the one click install, blew away the DB it created and did a manual install on the server.

Thinks are MUCH clearer now. I've made it all the way to the conversion page, but now I get the dreaded 500 internal server error that so many others have reported.

I affirmed that all the DB tables your converter is looking for exist.

I browsed into each table and they all look OK. myPHPadmin reported one table had some "overhead", so I optimized it.

I've even tried changing the values in the /install/install_convert.php file, per this post...

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 2#p3217262

I've also tried it in three different browsers (Chrome, Firefox and IE8) just to make sure it wasn't an issue with my browser timing out. That didn't help either.

I've also tried going back to the converter and clicking on "continue conversion" probably 2 dozen times. That hasn't helped either.

I'm at my wits end here. I've come this far, only to be stopped by this.

Any other ideas? Again, I'm on a shared host, so I'm not sure that I'll even be able to get access to the servers logs. :(
D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky »

ghostgeek wrote:but now I get the dreaded 500 internal server error
A 500 internal server error is usually caused by the server not having enough resources to run the convertor. Sometimes the settings can be overridden by changing the values in the /install/install_convert.php, but some hosts don't allow the settings to be overridden. The only other solution is to do the conversion locally. Use EasyPHP, WampServer, or XAMPP.
Some helpful tips are in this Knowledge Base article, Offline Conversions
Empeethree

Post by Empeethree »

hello,
I am a phpbb noob & really have no clue about what I am trying to do but, I am trying to convert (what I think is ) a pnphpbb to phpbb3 using this convertor but keep getting this error.

Could not find path to your former board. Please check your settings and try again.
» ../old/modules was specified as the source path.

I have tried every combination I can think of & ones that I have read on this site to get past this but I can't seem to get anything to work. I have a directory structure listing but posting it here would just take up too much space.

I know I havent given much info but I am not exactly sure what info to give..

thanks in advance.
Rob
D¡cky
Former Team Member

Post by D¡cky »

PostNuke is different than PHP-Nuke. You can't use this convertor. The best I can do for now is refer you to this post, Mod for Postnuke-Forum Migration to phpBB2 or 3?.

Return to “[3.0.x] Convertors”