reloading page ?

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Get Involved
stijne

reloading page ?

Post by stijne »

Hi,

I have a sidebar.html that is being summoned to show a banner next to my forum. This banner is an animated gif file. However every topic that is opened the animation begins again.

I was wondering if there is a way so that the side.html isn't reloaded again. If there is a way I can have the gif not being animated over and over again.

Kindest regards!
Wulfric

Re: reloading page ?

Post by Wulfric »

The only way I can think of, is making frames on the webpage and displaying sidebar.html in one frame, while pages, rest of the forum etc in second frame. So only second frame reloads.
If you want sidebar to also get updated on pageload, then I don't think there's any way to stop gif from reanimating
stijne

Post by stijne »

oh i see, that's a shame, so there is no way i can have this solved then?
Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 »

What you are experiencing isn’t caused by phpBB, but the way HTML pages are supposed to behave. You load a page and all the elements on the page load.

As previously suggested placing the sidebar into a separate frame, in effect a separate page within a page, would be a way around it.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests
stijne

Post by stijne »

Isn't using frames outdated?
and we're talking about classic frames the way websites were made before divs?
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

stijne wrote:Isn't using frames outdated?
In nearly all cases: yes.
stijne wrote:we're talking about classic frames the way websites were made before divs?
Yes, there are no "modern" frames either (unless you categorize IFRAMEs as such). ...and using DIVs for everything is also bad style, because it ignores HTML semantics.

Re-think on why you definitly want to have an animated GIF: if it's a collection of frames which only change at intervals of i.e. 5 seconds you could cut them into separate files and load them dynamically (JS), which has also the advantage of having control over the picture to start with.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.
stijne

Post by stijne »

AmigoJack,

That is an very good suggestion... the only thing is that you don't have a much possibilties animation-wise?
I'll have a look at your pointer!

thnx!!

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Requests”