Problem with locking on queue.php.lock on posting

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
aleloro

Problem with locking on queue.php.lock on posting

Post by aleloro »

Hello,
I recently done the update from version 3.0.4 to 3.0.8. At first it seemed that everything was working properly, then in charge of currency translation (800 - 900 users) apache's process began to multiply, leaving open connections to the database, processes them to just go up to saturate the server's RAM .

By performing an analysis of the log of apache processes we discovered that the file posting.php was waiting for a lock on the file /cache/queue.php.lock . We noticed that the code /includes/functions_messagger.php that manages event lock has been changed from 3.0.4 to 3.0.8.

Now we have modify the configuration of queue_interval from 60 to 15, and the activity of the apache's process now is normal, but this a quick workaround.

Someone has had the same problem and knows a solution?

Any help appreciated.
Oleg
Former Team Member

Re: Problem with locking on queue.php.lock on posting

Post by Oleg »

Queue lock is supposed to be released when queue processing is done. If your installation for whatever reason does not complete queue processing normally (killed by php time limit, errors, etc.) apache process is likely to retain a lock for an extended period of time, blocking other apache processes. You can check for this problem by setting MaxRequestsPerChild to 1 and restoring queue interval to the original value of 60.

Reducing queue interval makes the queue be processed more frequently, which should reduce its average size and therefore make each processing run take less time, therefore avoiding death by time limit. If you don't have any problems with outgoing email, a queue interval of 15 is fine.
Participate in phpBB development: Get involved | Issue tracker | Report a bug | Development board | [url=irc://chat.freenode.net/phpbb-dev]Development IRC chat[/url]
My stuff: mindlinkgame.com
net83it

Post by net83it »

in my cache folder i found the queue.php.lock

can i delete this file?
Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 »

Yes, but it will be recreated the next time it is used. What are you trying to do?
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

net83it wrote:in my cache folder i found the queue.php.lock

can i delete this file?
yes, you can delete everything in the cache folder except for the index and htaccess files.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
net83it

Post by net83it »

Oyabun1 wrote:Yes, but it will be recreated the next time it is used. What are you trying to do?
i noticed a delay in sending emails from my board, and when i check the cache folder to see queue.php i saw also queue.php.lock

now i solved the dealy problem and i was guessing if i could safely delete the other file
Oleg
Former Team Member

Post by Oleg »

You can delete the lock file, but it will simply be recreated the next time mail is sent. Current implementation of mail queue never deletes the lock file.
Participate in phpBB development: Get involved | Issue tracker | Report a bug | Development board | [url=irc://chat.freenode.net/phpbb-dev]Development IRC chat[/url]
My stuff: mindlinkgame.com

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”