PHPBB forum inside my site

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
DanielHaitink

PHPBB forum inside my site

Post by DanielHaitink »

Hey,
I´m new to stuff like HTML, CSS, PHP etc. but i´ve got a website since a few weeks. I am building my site at the moment, and a forum with phpBB. But I actually want the forum inside my website and not on a special website http://forum.thewebbay.org/forum. Is it hard to build the forum into the origional website, just like phpbb.com. And how do i have to do that?
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: PHPBB forum inside my site

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

phpbb.com is using custom pages that look like the board.

what you are talking about is making your board look like your site.

you add the header and footer html of your site to the header and footer of phpbb .

to do this, you have to get a ftp program and a good text editor:
Dreamweaver and Frontpage are not good choices when it comes to file editors (find out why). Use a simple text editor such as Notepad++ with an FTP client such as FileZilla

then you will have to tweak the css for colors etc and maybe some image paths.

if you show us the site you are working on maybe we can give you some specific help.

robert
also, I notice that your board is here:
http://forum.thewebbay.org/forum/

if you are going to have a subdomain for the board there is no need to put it inside a folder named forum as well.

I would use your ftp and move all the files and folders from the forum folder, up one level then your address would simply be:
http://forum.thewebbay.org
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Unifier
Name: Unis

Post by Unifier »

Interesting topic.
Last edited by Unifier on Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Unifier wrote:
DanielHaitink wrote:Hey,
I´m new to stuff like HTML, CSS, PHP etc. but i´ve got a website since a few weeks. I am building my site at the moment, and a forum with phpBB. But I actually want the forum inside my website and not on a special website http://forum.thewebbay.org/forum. Is it hard to build the forum into the origional website, just like phpbb.com. And how do i have to do that?

We did this and it can be done. Have your home page in the HTML, or whatever code. Then have your buttons, or however you design, to have a link to the bullet board.

Behind the scenes, inside your File Manager, you'll have a forum folder where the phBB program is located. This will make your URL look something like this (example)

http://acme.com/forum/index.php

The challenge will be how to have the forum link back to the main web site.
wow, I have no idea what any of that means.

however if you want to link your board back to your main site, simpy do this:

assuming a prosilver based style:
using a real ftp program only and a real text editor only;

download and open:
overall_header.html
find:

Code: Select all

<li class="icon-faq"><a href="{U_FAQ}" title="{L_FAQ_EXPLAIN}">{L_FAQ}</a></li>
replace with:

Code: Select all

<li><a href="http://yournewlinkhere" title="your new link title">Your New Link Text</a></li><li class="icon-faq"><a href="{U_FAQ}" title="{L_FAQ_EXPLAIN}">{L_FAQ}</a></li>
save and upload back to the server.
refresh your template.
refresh your browser.

you are done.

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
nonegiven

Post by nonegiven »

DanielHaitink wrote:Is it hard to build the forum into the origional website, just like phpbb.com. And how do i have to do that?
The first question ...

• Do you mean, "Can I install phpBB3 in my root folder so that it appears when I load:
or in the sub-domain:
Rather than in a folder called "/forum/"?

The answer is yet. Just dump all your files in your root folder and phpBB3 will load index.php from there. Note that because you have installed your forum in a folder called "/forum/" you will have to change a few settings ... or just start without a clean install as it is a new forum.

The second question ...

• Can I integrate the look of my website so it matches the look of phpBB3 (or vice versa)?

This is something that a few of us have wrestled with but a core of phpBB3 diehards resist irrationally.

Most forums fit within websites. Most forums need a few pages to introduce them, who and whatever they are about etc. A standalone phpBB is a very dry, unattractive, hard to get into proposition for web users these days.

In the past, there have been attempts to combine Wordpress with phpBB to do just this, these have died.

There is a good discussion here about such a feature using phpBB, Area 51 link.

It is possible to create nigh perfect replicas using flat html pages and copy CSS.

There are a few themes that have been offered for both phpBB3 and Wordpress such as 'Afterburner' and 'Misty' (I think) that would allow you to run something visually integrated although not technically integrated.

You can uses an HTML iFrame to do so ... but they are pretty horrible to use and generally slow to load.

Some people have succeed in call the headers and footers from phpBB to use with a Wordpress or something else using php to do so (I have not).

What is it you really want to do? It is just a visual thing? How are you building the rest of your site?
DanielHaitink

Post by DanielHaitink »

Wow. Thank you all for the reactions while i was sleeping ;)
So i cant really put phpBB in my Site, but i should let it look the same as my current site? About the map folders, after i installed phpBB in forum.thewebbay.org it automaticly installed it in an prude folder: phpBB. So i let of install in forum. Ill try to get That dons after school (after 6 hours), so ill try it this aftrrnoon.
Thanks!
Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 »

For technical info about aspects of phpBB the Development Wiki is a good place to start.

For example, for some information on adding pages to your forum, Practical.Add custom page and Tutorial.Adding pages, or for adding things from your forum, such as posts, onto other pages, Practical.Displaying posts and topics on external pages.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests
DanielHaitink

Post by DanielHaitink »

Ok i'll look there, TY
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

DanielHaitink wrote:So i cant really put phpBB in my Site, but i should let it look the same as my current site?
I am not sure you understand how web pages work.

Your webbrower, Firefox or IExplore or whatever, navigates to an address. At that address it picks up a document and shows that document to you. So when you navigate to http://example.com/index.htm you are getting that index.htm document. When you mavigate to http://example.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php you are getting that viewtopic.php document.

So, "in my Site" does not really mean anything. Usually, you would modify phpBB's headers so your board pages look more like your existing site index page.
DanielHaitink

Post by DanielHaitink »

Brf wrote: I am not sure you understand how web pages work.
Yes, i know, but i thought you could 'paste' the forum inside one of my pages
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

A "php" file is a "script". It is a program that builds a webpage. You can't just paste them inside another page.
DanielHaitink

Post by DanielHaitink »

Inside the <body>? And how do i have to link to the php, And how will That look? Will it be the right Size?
Lumpy Burgertushie

DanielHaitink wrote:Inside the <body>? And how do i have to link to the php, And how will That look? Will it be the right Size?
are you not seeing the replies above?

you can't do it that way. you have to either create your whole site using phpbb or you have to follow my instrucions above about how to make phpbb look like your site. you DON"T put it in your main site web pages
you would put a link to phpbb in your main web pages.

robert

DanielHaitink

Post by DanielHaitink »

o srry i read it wrong, i thought he said you can put it in an other site, SRRY.
However, thank you all, I'll try it all. :D
Unifier
Name: Unis

Post by Unifier »

DanielHaitink wrote:Yes, i know, but i thought you could 'paste' the forum inside one of my pages

I'm not following what the other guys are saying, either. But I am not as experienced as them and am not familiar with techie talk.
Last edited by Unifier on Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”