How do I turn on

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
jaylam13

How do I turn on

Post by jaylam13 »

Hi,

How do I turn on so that the moderator groups that look after a forum are shown on the board index.

So under the forum description it shows "Administrators" & "Global Mods"

Hope that makes sense.

Jay
Auridesion
Name: Jo Wilson

Re: How do I turn on

Post by Auridesion »

I think it's relatively self-evident that global moderators have global authority on the board... and I'm not sure why you would want the information to be repeated/reiterated on every forum on your index, but here's how you do it:

Go into the Admin Control Panel.

Select the "Permissions" tab.

On the sidebar, select "Groups' forum permissions".

From the drop-down menu, select the group you want to do first, then hit "Submit".

On the "Select a forum" list, check the box at the bottom for "All forums" and hit "Submit".

The page that comes up next will be a list of all of your forums -- but at the very top of this list, there's a drop down menu labeled "Select type". It defaults to "Forum permissions" -- but you need to select "Moderator permissions". Then hit the "Go" button.

Although the page won't look much different, after it refreshes, you can now set the moderator permissions for every forum (but this will only apply to the group you selected at the very beginning of these instructions).

If you want the group to have the same moderator permissions in every forum, the fastest way to accomplish this is like so:

On the first forum, click the link, "Advanced permissions". If you want to set the permissions, you can do so -- or you can just choose a "role" from the drop-down menu above. However, below the area which details the permissions, there's a button which says "Apply Permissions". (Don't click it yet.) Below that are two links, click the one that says "Mark all". Once you're sure you like the permissions for that group, then click the "Apply Permissions" button directly above the "Mark all" link. (If you use the "Apply All Permissions" button at the very bottom of the page, it will only change the first forum.)

Now, when you go to the board index, under each forum's name and description, you should see the group identified as moderators of that forum.

(This isn't the only way you can do it, but this is the fastest way to do it when the goal is to add group permissions to multiple forums for an individual group.)

Hope that helped you. xD
"We're all mad here." -- The Cheshire Cat
jaylam13

Post by jaylam13 »

Thanks for the reply, however I just followed those instruction to the word and it still doesnt show the groups.

Just in case I havent explained it well below is a screenie of where I want to display what groups moderate that section:
untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG (52.5 KiB) Viewed 565 times
Auridesion

Post by Auridesion »

Well, I've never actually tried it for the Admins or the Global moderators groups, but I actually just did this for my forums the other day with another group.

First, go to the ACP, and under the "General" tab, find "Board features" on the sidebar. Down at the bottom, you need to make sure "Enable display of moderators" is checked "yes". (I meant to mention this is the previous post, I'm sorry for that.)

If that's not the issue, then you might need to check you're template files for your style. (Namely, in your template file, forumlist_body.html, it needs to look like this:

Code: Select all

<dt title="{forumrow.FORUM_FOLDER_IMG_ALT}">
					<!-- IF forumrow.FORUM_IMAGE --><span class="forum-image">{forumrow.FORUM_IMAGE}</span><!-- ENDIF -->
					<a href="{forumrow.U_VIEWFORUM}" class="forumtitle">{forumrow.FORUM_NAME}</a><br />
					{forumrow.FORUM_DESC}
					<!-- IF forumrow.MODERATORS -->
						<br /><strong>{forumrow.L_MODERATOR_STR}:</strong> {forumrow.MODERATORS}
					<!-- ENDIF -->
					<!-- IF forumrow.SUBFORUMS and forumrow.S_LIST_SUBFORUMS --><br /><strong>{forumrow.L_SUBFORUM_STR}</strong> {forumrow.SUBFORUMS}<!-- ENDIF -->
				</dt>
Specifically, you're looking for this:

<!-- IF forumrow.MODERATORS -->
						<br /><strong>{forumrow.L_MODERATOR_STR}:</strong> {forumrow.MODERATORS}
					<!-- ENDIF -->
It looks like you're using a prosilver-based style (if not prosilver itself), so this shouldn't really be an issue. But if the enable display of moderators doesn't fix it (sorry about forgetting that, again) then a template issue is the only thing I can think of that might be the problem.
jaylam13

Post by jaylam13 »

That box is ticked and the code is correct, perhaps it only works for groups you create and not the default groups?
Auridesion

Post by Auridesion »

That's my best guess. >.<

But, it kind of makes sense, if so. Like I said before, it is pretty self-evident that global moderators are going to be moderators in every forum. While admins aren't necessarily going to be moderators as well, most regular users will probably assume they've got super-power everywhere on the board as well because they're admins.

But if you want to "cheat" this system, you could just add it in BBCode to the forum description as a last resort. It might look something like this:

[b]Moderators: [color=#BF0000]Administrators[/color], [color=#408000]Global Moderators[/color][/b]
And if you want the names of the groups to be links to the group memberlist page, you would just add the URL BBCode outside of the color tags (so that the links are the color you want them and not the default coloration for links as defined by your style).

You'd have to do this for each forum description -- which might get a tad annoying. But it's a sure-fire way to get the effect you're going for. (Mind, you need to make sure that parsing BBCode on the forum description is checked. ;D)
jaylam13

Post by jaylam13 »

ok thanks for the tips, I might try creating my own mod groups to see if that works.
Auridesion

Post by Auridesion »

No problem. Like I said, I did this just the other day for one of my usergroups -- which is why the topic stuck out to me when I read it. :D
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

jaylam13 wrote:ok thanks for the tips, I might try creating my own mod groups to see if that works.
If you want people in the Global Moderators group to show up under the forum title (as opposed to in the Legend), you might want to read the Group Titles topic. It was discussed there and there might be a workaround.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”