[REQUEST] Auto Media Embedding MOD

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Ideas Centre
Linda Carter

[REQUEST] Auto Media Embedding MOD

Post by Linda Carter »

Is there a way for us to display embedded videos, and not using any tags at all? :?:

I mean, if your message constains something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSrV2B_Sdc

Your board will by itself convert that full-URL into the embedded video, like you were using tags such as [YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]. But in fact, you are only inserting one URL like any other. :)
Last edited by Linda Carter on Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Whoever has not known himself has known nothing. But whoever has known himself has simultaneously achieved knowledge about the depth of all things."
AcuteAngel

Re: [REQ] Getting rid of video [TAGs]

Post by AcuteAngel »

Here's a simple method... it is impossible to paste the link without a tag like [YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]
I think

Code: Select all

http://www.moneym8.com/2008/08/05/how-to-add-youtube-videos-to-phpbb3/

If you need a multiple video site to post it in you site but not only the YouTube you can find that in this thread
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 0&t=695525
But this one is not complete yet and only a few site are included in this MOD.

Goodluck
Linda Carter

Re: [REQ] Getting rid of video [TAGs]

Post by Linda Carter »

Sorry, but you are missing my point. :mrgreen:

I want to get rid of tags. Any tags at all. Not even [video] for all of them.

No more [insert-the-tag-name-here] to display videos embedded. :)

I want my users to post something like this:

http://www.insert-the-website-name-here.video

And they will see both videos embedded by the board itself. Plain and simple, no more tags. They are gone forever. :)

This is the hack I am talking about (not sure if phpBB 3 has something similar). I was able to find a couple of minutes ago. 8-)
AME 2.0 -Auto Media Embedding for posts, blogs, visitor and group messsages

AME 2.0 is the next version of the "Mod of the Month" winning media embedder that:

* Allows user to simply 'paste' in a URL (i.e. a youtube link) without needing to know any special tags. However instead of displaying just the URL, it will show the media within the post

* is lightweight as it does all of her chores without the overhead of having 1 bbcode per pattern or trying to parse a post every single time it gets displayed with a bunch of patterns. AME radically reduces overhead and speeds up processing. The only time ame will kick in is after creating a new post or after editing an existing one (or if an ame tag is found)

* is extensible. She allows you to add, edit, delete, import and export patterns. That way you can decide which services to support, how they should look and then share them with others! At time of typing this, there are over 150 media sites that have been contributed by script members.

* can extract the title (requires your server to allow url wrappers with fetch_contents)

* can extract embed code from sites whose URLs do not contain sufficient information to embed the video

* can rebuild your old posts to convert your 'other' mediaish tags into URL tags.

* can rebuild your old posts, blogs, comments, visitor and social group messages to convert URL tags into ame tags where needed
* can convert her codes BACK to url codes so you're not stuffed with a bunch of dead tags if you uninstall!
* won't uglify your site by having videos appear in quotes, php, code or html blocks (blech!)
* can be globally disabled
* can be excluded from forums
* can exclude usergroups
* can be toggled on/off per post, blog, comment, visitor and social group message
* would cook dinner for you if she had arms
* can wrap the output in a 'container' with original URL

* has a super comprehensive admincp help system. Yes, I actually took the bloody time to add all the info you need into script's admincp help system. If you ask a silly question in this thread that is addressed in the help system, you will be taunted.

* is fully phrased
* has hooks around integral operations so you can extend it
* Supports embedding in scriptBlog, Visitor Messages and Social Groups.
* Can be disabled in one or more of the following sections: Posts, scriptBlog, Visitor Messages and/or Social Groups

Apart from the additional areas of support around scriptBlog, Visitor Messages and Social Groups, little has changed about AME since version 1.0 released over a year ago. I cleaned up a few minor bugs, trimmed and updated the default definitions.

Which sites are supported?

At time of counting this, there are about 170 sites supported. But I have only included a few common standards as default (yahoo, youtube, myspace, google and Amazon). Why only these? AME was designed with its own import and export system that enables users to create or modify definitions and share them with the community. This keeps the system lightweight, customisable and saves us all from having to upgrade every time a media site changes their URL structure or if I add another site.

Check out the 'add ons' section of this post below to see availible add-ons.

2.5 Pre-Release information

Attached to this post is pre-release of version 2.5

2.5 is a pretty major upgrade from the 2.0 series and adds the following functionality to 2.0:

* New in Beta 3 - Validation ability. This will help prevent media being embedded that can not be embedded (i.e. youtube videos that the author has stipulated can not be shown off of youtube). This option requires the extraction option to be turned on and a valid validation regexp. I have included one in the default youtube version. When a video on you tube gets embedded, but the author doesnt allow embedding, a link (with icon) is shown instead.

* Ability to prevent non authorised usergroups from viewing (see Readme file in zip for more info)
* Usergroup permissions (edit usergroup to adjust edit/view permissions)
* Template driven system - uses templates now instead of 1 master replacement (see Readme file in zip for more info)
* Signatures supported
* Different sizes and template configurations for each supported zone (posts, blogs, groups, visitor messages and signatures)
* A couple new hooks (Mainly to support a future add on for AME media in profiles)
* Notfication system (similar to script's to check for errors)
* Definition keys for easier updating of definitions and to use in templates
* File caching system which radically reduces processing
* And more that I cant think of off the top of my head!
"Whoever has not known himself has known nothing. But whoever has known himself has simultaneously achieved knowledge about the depth of all things."
AcuteAngel

Re: [REQUEST] Auto Media Embedding MOD

Post by AcuteAngel »

Ooooh... you need to post it similar like this? And play it all in sequence?
Linda Carter

Post by Linda Carter »

* Allows user to simply 'paste' in a URL (i.e. a youtube link) without needing to know any special tags. However instead of displaying just the URL, it will show the media within the post
I think that description explains everything... :mrgreen:

Just post any URL like this:

And your board wil act like you were using tags:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSrV2B_Sdc[/youtube]

And will embed the video by itself. :)
columbusgeek

Post by columbusgeek »

I see her point. vB has it as a mod and it's brilliant.
Linda Carter

Post by Linda Carter »

columbusgeek wrote:I see her point. vB has it as a mod and it's brilliant.
I would like to see such MOD here, but this feature, for example, is not mandatory for me:
* can extract the title (requires your server to allow url wrappers with fetch_contents)
Because I saw some problems with one vB forum that was eating some words in the title. Specially words using acute accent/circumflex, diacritic marks used in many modern written languages with alphabets based on the Latin, Cyrillic, Greek/etc. scripts. Not sure if was admin's fault, or the MOD itself, considering the creators can be americans and might not use those diatric marks.

The rest (and not related features) offered by this MOD might be good, but what's interesting it's really the first one:
I wonder if this MOD uses HTML of some sort since some users reported that phpBB 3 was not allowing HTML to be used. :)
greensmachine_snake

Post by greensmachine_snake »

YouTube Video BBCode

Author: iDaNm
Description: The YouTube Video BBCode puts a YouTube Video in the topics of Your phpbb3 Board
Optimized to also be working with all the national youtube sites and with fullscreen mode

BBCode:

[youtube]{TEXT}watch?v={TEXT1}[/youtube]
HTML:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="{TEXT}v/{TEXT1}&rel=en&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0xd4d4d4"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="{TEXT}v/{TEXT1}&rel=en&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0xd4d4d4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Helpline:

YouTube: [youtube]Link to YouTube Video[/youtube]
Example:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoZrlEFUmf0[/youtube]
Linda Carter

Post by Linda Carter »

I fail to see what your post has to do with my request. :mrgreen:
DBM

Post by DBM »

Somebody did actually start making one of these, even got as far as RC stage:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 0&t=739345

And then... nothing. You can't download it and the author seems to have abandoned the MOD. Shame, as it looked pretty good to me. :(
Linda Carter

Post by Linda Carter »

Well, if someone wants to try again, here's the vB source-code:
http://rapidshare.com/files/212636286/ame12.rar.html

By looking into this code and having a vBulletin board, perhaps someone might develop the phpBB 3 version. Or maybe it's not necessary and you already have some way to develop by your own... :)
Linda Carter

Post by Linda Carter »

Anyone? :mrgreen:
Seibertron

Post by Seibertron »

How does phpBB not have this functionality built-in automatically at this point? I feel like my users are really missing out on some of the cool features that seem readily available with vBulletin yet are nowhere to be found with phpBB. It appears to me that the core phpBB staff has given up. My frustration with the inherent problems with phpBB, the lack of features such as the auto media embedding, the lack of support from phpBB and its community (how has no one responded to this topic's author in over two years?), and the growing number of abandoned mods is making me think that it might be time to abandon ship after almost ten years of using phpBB.
Seibertron.com
http://www.seibertron.com
The Ultimate Transformers Fansite
4_seven
I've Been Banned!

Post by 4_seven »

Current Mods | Mod Base | php(BB) programming | No help via PM

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Requests”