phpBB forum on Wordpress site

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
the_stig

phpBB forum on Wordpress site

Post by the_stig »

Hi all,

Firstly I should point out that this is all new to me and I am going through a huge learning curve, so if this is an obvious, or dare I say stupid, question please bear with me.

I am helping to create a website for work using Wordpress, and we want to include a forum. Can we use phpBB with Wordpress easily?

I frequent a few phpBB forums and like the style, and so I haven't found an extension for Wordpress which looks as nice, they all look a bit 'Fisher-Price'.
Thanks

Dan
D¡cky
Former Team Member
Name: Richard Foote

Re: phpBB forum on Wordpress site

Post by D¡cky »

Yes, you can use phpBB with WordPress. There are a few integration plugins at wordpress.org.
Have you hugged someone today?
the_stig

Post by the_stig »

Thanks Dicky,

So would the forum be hosted elsewhere or would it all be within my wordpress site?
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

the_stig wrote:Thanks Dicky,

So would the forum be hosted elsewhere or would it all be within my wordpress site?
where is your wordpress hosted?
normally you have wordpress installed on your hosting account and you also install phpbb on that same hosting acocunt. then you can integrate the logins or whatever.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
the_stig

Post by the_stig »

At the moment its just local we haven't got it hosted yet but hopefully that will happen this week.

OK well I'm going to have a go and see how far I get, will probably be posting for help in about 10 mins :lol:
Danielx64
Name: Daniel

Post by Danielx64 »

Are you looking to intergrate the look as well? Or just login and such?
Please note that I will not be porting any of my mods to phpBB 3.1. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.
the_stig

Post by the_stig »

Hi Daniel,

I want to integrate the look and login ideally. At the moment I have created a forum and given it some topics and categories etc, but I am struggling to even link it to my site. I managed to get mingle forums to sit within the site but cannot figure out how to do this with phpbb or if it is even possible!?
Lumpy Burgertushie

the_stig wrote:Hi Daniel,

I want to integrate the look and login ideally. At the moment I have created a forum and given it some topics and categories etc, but I am struggling to even link it to my site. I managed to get mingle forums to sit within the site but cannot figure out how to do this with phpbb or if it is even possible!?
there are some integration things out there for wp and phpbb but most people simply put links to each one and try to make them look similar.

wp is very hard to work with as far as making changes to the code for html etc. the html and php are all mixed together. in phpbb they are completely separated which is much easier to work with.

robert

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
D¡cky
Former Team Member
Name: Richard Foote

Post by D¡cky »

One way to include phpBB into a WP page, Skinning phpBB

I gave you a link in my previous post for integrating logins.
Have you hugged someone today?
Danielx64
Name: Daniel

Post by Danielx64 »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: there are some integration things out there for wp and phpbb but most people simply put links to each one and try to make them look similar.

wp is very hard to work with as far as making changes to the code for html etc. the html and php are all mixed together. in phpbb they are completely separated which is much easier to work with.

robert
That is about to change, I'm working on a wordpress theme that will allow you to have your blog look the same as your phpbb forum. It not 100% perfect but it work alot better than other plugins/mod that you can use.

It won't do logins or anything like that, just the look
Please note that I will not be porting any of my mods to phpBB 3.1. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.
the_stig

Post by the_stig »

Ok I've decided that i dont really need to integrate the looks of both at the moment, i have found skins that look similar enough and it looks great!

I am struggling with the login issue however, as all the solutions for a single login seem to be generated by the phpbb side, so you have to register on phpbb first.

Is there a way of doing this the other way around? I would like all users to register on my site first, with their username and password details also allowing access to my forum, is this possible?
murph133

Post by murph133 »

I have integrated phpbb with wordpress; it took a decent bit of work, but I'm still not happy with the result.

The main problem is login integration. There are some problems where it doesn't log into wp, when you're logged into the forum. And, most people place the website/blog at the front of the site, so having the logins on the phpbb side doesn't make sense, and makes it more awkward for the user.

Note: you can't dynamically have the same header/ layout as your wordpress site without creating a bridge between the two, so you'll be required to use copy the html output of anything from wp you want on your phpbb forum. Then copy the css over, as well to the phpbb stylesheets.

Another problem: wordpress has a lot of plugins which can quickly progress your site, however, having the login going through phpbb can restrict this and also cause confusion for the user.

I am currently using phpbb, but the integration is not ideal at all. I'd love it if someone could create a bridge so that wordpress login comes first and phpbb is the subordinate (a lot more practical).
Lumpy Burgertushie

well, this request has been going on for years. if it was easy to do , someone would have done it by now.

wordpress is very hard to work with because of the fact that it combines the html and the php in the same files.

phpbb's template system separates them into their own files and the html/template files call the php files to dynamically insert the requested data etc.

I believe that "wp-united" has a system that worked but it has been abandoned .

so, good luck with this.

robert

jonsfn
Name: Jon

Post by jonsfn »

I have been looking for something suitable for ages !
I have both Wordpress and Phpbb running along side each other, I have tried many wordpress plugins to get them to use the same user database. The latest one I have just tried was WordPress to phpBB 3.0.x Bridge. This did seem to work, as it did bridge both wordpress and phpbb. But after testing it for a day or two, I did have a couple of problems with it. Both user profiles were still active, one on phpbb and the other on wordpress. The other problem was when logged in, it was not possible to log out of wordpress, it had to be done via phpbb !
jonsfn
Name: Jon

Post by jonsfn »

murph133 wrote:I have integrated phpbb with wordpress; it took a decent bit of work, but I'm still not happy with the result.

The main problem is login integration. There are some problems where it doesn't log into wp, when you're logged into the forum. And, most people place the website/blog at the front of the site, so having the logins on the phpbb side doesn't make sense, and makes it more awkward for the user.

Another problem: wordpress has a lot of plugins which can quickly progress your site, however, having the login going through phpbb can restrict this and also cause confusion for the user.

I am currently using phpbb, but the integration is not ideal at all. I'd love it if someone could create a bridge so that wordpress login comes first and phpbb is the subordinate (a lot more practical).
Looks like we may have been using the same plugin ;)

Return to “phpBB Discussion”