when phpBB planning to stop supporting ie6 ?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Ds !

when phpBB planning to stop supporting ie6 ?

Post by Ds ! » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:52 am

Hello all :)

I'm wounding when phpBB will officially stop supporting ie6 ?

that will be a very good changing point for the phpBB forums admins and will make the web more beautiful :mrgreen:

waiting the comment :)

Regards

AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Re: when phpBB planning to stop supporting ie6 ?

Post by AdamR » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:24 am

While we don't want to completely break stuff in IE6 in the 3.0.x line, we are not making IE6 support a priority for future 3.0.x releases if something needs to be fixed/changed. Support will likely be dropped entirely in later 3.x lines.

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton

callumacrae
Former Team Member
Name: Callum Macrae

Post by callumacrae » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:19 am

There is some HTML5 in 3.1, and some of the stuff I'm doing with AJAX won't work in IE6 due to my use of data attributes. So while it will still work in IE6, you won't get everything you would with a decent browser.
macr.ae = my website. you probably won't like it.
Proud user ofProud user of

Raimon
Former Team Member
Name: Raimon Meuldijk

Post by Raimon » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:09 pm

Callum95 wrote:There is some HTML5 in 3.1, and some of the stuff I'm doing with AJAX won't work in IE6 due to my use of data attributes. So while it will still work in IE6, you won't get everything you would with a decent browser.
Then there should be a warning message on phpBB on what you are trying to make " The browser you are using is to old please update it to the latest release or use on of the next browsers" so you make people aware that the are using a old browser that don't support all the phpBB features, so the understand that the need to update it, and the see what other browser are available for them.
Need phpBB installation, extenstions, Styles or integrate phpBB with you website?
Contact me for fair prices and good service!

callumacrae
Former Team Member
Name: Callum Macrae

Post by callumacrae » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:30 pm

Raimon wrote:Then there should be a warning message on phpBB on what you are trying to make " The browser you are using is to old please update it to the latest release or use on of the next browsers" so you make people aware that the are using a old browser that don't support all the phpBB features, so the understand that the need to update it, and the see what other browser are available for them.
http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... 81&t=41533 :-)
macr.ae = my website. you probably won't like it.
Proud user ofProud user of

Oleg
Former Team Member

Post by Oleg » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:31 am

The development team decided against fixing and closed outstanding IE6-only bugs some time ago. Therefore, to some extent support for IE6 has already been dropped.

We are not going to break IE6 on purpose. If someone provides fixes for IE6 bugs, and these fixes do not have adverse side effects, we will accept them. The development team ourselves probably will not be fixing any IE6 bugs going forward, and there is little to no testing being done on IE6 making it prone to accidental breakage.

If a new feature does not work on IE6 (and we are aware of this), it is likely to be included in 3.1 anyway. 3.0 should be less affected by such developments as major features are going into 3.1, but even 3.0 may break on IE6 at some point.
Participate in phpBB development: Get involved | Issue tracker | Report a bug | Development board | [url=irc://chat.freenode.net/phpbb-dev]Development IRC chat[/url]
My stuff: mindlinkgame.com

Ds !

Post by Ds ! » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:20 pm

Many thanks for your clarifications, Best Regards :)

Return to “phpBB Discussion”