users cannot see edit/delet post buttons

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
g3zpf

users cannot see edit/delet post buttons

Post by g3zpf »

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.0.9
What is your board's URL? http://www.raota.org/bbv3
Who do you host your board with? hostwise
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
Is your board a fresh install or a conversion? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? Yes
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.0.8
What styles do you currently have installed? prosilver
What language(s) is your board currently using? english
Which database type/version are you using? I Don't Know
What is your level of experience? New to PHP and phpBB
What username can be used to view this issue? zztestzz
What password can be used to view this issue? l00king4help
When did your problem begin? not sure. only affects regular users, not admin, so wasnt aware of it until user notified me today
Please describe your problem. users can no longer see the edit/delete buttons, even though all the permissions are set to allow it

slightly weird one is that i added a user to the admin group but they still don't see the edit/delete buttons. only the original admin account can.
Generated by SRT Generator ($Rev$)
_RocknRoll

Re: users cannot see edit/delet post buttons

Post by _RocknRoll »

I did a "test post" and test account sees the buttons.Image

The buttons will only show for the posts that the person is allowed to edit and/or delete.
Do you have limits set in the ACP for these?

ACP > POSTING
  • Limit editing time:
    Limits the time available to edit a new post. Setting the value to 0 disables this behaviour.

Limit deleting time:
    Limits the time available to delete a new post. Setting the value to 0 disables this behaviour.
g3zpf

Post by g3zpf »

ah...thanks for that. i checked existing posts using the new acct but couldn't see the buttons.

i didn't even know there was a timeout for edit, so never thought to go any further

hmmm

both those settings are already at zero
_RocknRoll

Post by _RocknRoll »

g3zpf wrote:ah...thanks for that. i checked existing posts using the new acct but couldn't see the buttons.
_RocknRoll wrote:The buttons will only show for the posts that the person is allowed to edit and/or delete.
g3zpf

Post by g3zpf »

although the settings are at zero, the user who contacted me could not see the buttons on his recent post

i set all the permissions up by groups, not users, i tried using the admin acct to test out some user acct permissions but I still dont see the buttons on their posts.

adding my regular acct to the admin group still doesnt let me see the buttons, only the original admin acct can.
McWxXx

Post by McWxXx »

g3zpf wrote:although the settings are at zero, the user who contacted me could not see the buttons on his recent post

i set all the permissions up by groups, not users, i tried using the admin acct to test out some user acct permissions but I still dont see the buttons on their posts.

adding my regular acct to the admin group still doesnt let me see the buttons, only the original admin acct can.
Here's exactly what I did to fix that problem when I had it.
1: Set the forum lang to "British Enlish" by default
2: Changed the Group Permissions for all groups except guests and bots editing(see picture below).
3: Then made sure that the image set had the a file and it was selected for each style's edit.

**Both images are from 2 different posts I made but can be used as a guide for navigation to said things above.

Hope this helps with your problem.

Edit: Removed and struck out incorrect advice -Noxwizard
Last edited by Noxwizard on Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed incorrect instructions
g3zpf

Post by g3zpf »

i've circulated a note to my users to see how many have the same problem. as the newly created zztestzz account seemed to avoid the problem I might try deleting/recreating one of the users affected & see if that helps.

if push comes to shove, the forum has never really been active, so a re-do from scratch wouldnt be too much of a trauma
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

g3zpf wrote:adding my regular acct to the admin group still doesnt let me see the buttons, only the original admin acct can.
Those actions are nothing to do with being an admin. They are moderator permissions. You would need to put the account in to the global mods group.

For regular users, they are default options if the groups forum permissions are 'standard access'.

The ability to delete your own post can only be done until someone replies to it then you can't.

If a user can't do an action you can use the permission masks (at the bottom of the permissions menu) to see where that action is being blocked.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
ryanismean

Post by ryanismean »

Kevin Clark wrote:
g3zpf wrote:If a user can't do an action you can use the permission masks (at the bottom of the permissions menu) to see where that action is being blocked.
I'm finding this not to be the case. I have a user who can't see the edit post button in a forum where the mask for both her groups shows she should be able to. Here is a screen grab she sent me shortly after posting and being unable to edit it, trying to help me troubleshoot:

http://files.myopera.com/Roanoker/album ... Button.jpg

This shows her group memberships:

http://www.kcrag.com/roanoker_adm.png

And the masks for said groups:

http://www.kcrag.com/roanoker_group1.png
http://www.kcrag.com/roanoker_group2.png

This board was imported late last week from an old SMF board, and a lot of the permission stuff got mangled. I've got most of it straightened out, I think, but this one is stumping me.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

check the mask against her user name for user permissions

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
ryanismean

Post by ryanismean »

You mean forum-based perms->select forum->enter username? Same as above. Green on edit own posts. Also in the bottom right corner of her screen, it says, "you can edit your posts in this forum".
Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 »

Check ACP > General > Post settings > Posting > Limit editing time

Make sure that isn't set too low. After that time has passed a non-moderator will not see the edit button on a post anymore.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests
ryanismean

Post by ryanismean »

I don't think that was it, as I'm pretty sure the user had just posted moments before trying to edit. I'm not 100% sure, though, it could have been a while. I'll try that. Thanks!

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”