Does phpBB include its own MTA?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
RigNalScIn

Does phpBB include its own MTA?

Post by RigNalScIn »

To the best of my knowledge, my server does not have any MTA installed to it, yet phpBB is able to send mail.

So..... - Where is the magic stored?

Thanx!
Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Re: Does phpBB include its own MTA?

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

PHP has some mailing functions build in which are utilised by phpBB
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)
RigNalScIn

Post by RigNalScIn »

Zend?
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Sendmail
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
RigNalScIn

Post by RigNalScIn »

Sendmail is what I would've figured too except this is on a vanilla Ubuntu (Dapper server) install with no MTA (including sendmail, pear or postfix) added.

Is sendmail somehow bundled into PHP with a different name perhaps?

Sitting at the root prompt in /, issuing find -name 'sendmail' returns no results..

Sorry, this is more a curiosity to me than an actual support issue, phpBB is purring like the sleek, sexy kitten is is. I just have an (external) dev that is pushing me to install an MTA (sendmail) so she can mail form results and I'm telling her to get bent because the phpBB install I put on is sending mail just fine. :P

She's figured out I need to edit php.ini to point it to sendmail but... sendmail 'aint on the server and with it being Dapper (and out of the loop on repository updates) I'm definitely not adding anything more to it.

I'd love to be able to tell her how to code her script. Or at least point the way for her but.. well, I'm a little perplexed too since I haven't been able figure out how phpBB is doing it either. At least, not yet.

Doesn't help that I haven't really had my hands in this box since putting it out there 5 yrs ago or so but phpinfo does tell me that it has Zend extensions installed.

So...... - I'm guessing thats what phpBB is using since no other MTA is installed?
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

phpBB does not have any sort of mail agent. It uses the simple SMTP mail function built into PHP.

http://us2.php.net/manual/en/function.mail.php
RigNalScIn

Post by RigNalScIn »

Got it.. - Thanks guys! :D
soumik

Post by soumik »

Maybe an MTA was installed as a dependency for some package. Export a list of all packages installed and see if you have sendmail/postfix/exim4 installed.

Code: Select all

dpkg --get-selections | egrep 'sendmail|postfix|exim'