Suggestion

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
zenit10

Suggestion

Post by zenit10 »

First I would like to thank the great work that the programmers have done with phpbb.
Secondly I would suggest an idea for future versions that could be of great interest.
The idea Is to be able to leave a moderator to create subforums without being administrator. the same could happen with other exclusive privileges of the administrator.

what do you think about it?? it could be very helpfull isn´t it??
D¡cky
Former Team Member
Name: Richard Foote

Re: Suggestion

Post by D¡cky »

You can already do that. Make a member an Administrator then assign them the Forum Admin role.
There are several roles you can assign to an Administrator to restrict them to certain features. If there is no role that fits your requirements, you can change the member's administrative permissions to restrict their access.
Have you hugged someone today?
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

Also, if you want them to show up as Moderators, put them in the Global Moderators group and make that their default group. If the Forum Admin role is too broad, just give them the Can add new forums Admin permission (although that allows creating new categories and top-level forums, I presume, not just sub-forums).

But I'm not sure why the OP thinks that this would be so useful. Moderators are meant to control user behavior, not set up the board.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
Big-Jim

Post by Big-Jim »

Pony99CA wrote:But I'm not sure why the OP thinks that this would be so useful. Moderators are meant to control user behavior, not set up the board.

Steve
Wow! This is a switch, I actually agree with you on something.
Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Big-Jim wrote:
Pony99CA wrote:But I'm not sure why the OP thinks that this would be so useful. Moderators are meant to control user behavior, not set up the board.
Wow! This is a switch, I actually agree with you on something.
It's nice to know that you can be right once in a while, eh? :lol:

Steve
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
zenit10

Post by zenit10 »

that sound great dicki.
i put an user like standard administrator but i can´t see anywhere Forum Admin Role.
In Permission section i can see:

Admin Roles
User Roles
Moderator Roles
Forum Role

where is it??

Pony in my forum i have many secctions. one of them is a compilation of clubs.
my idea is that any clubs have their own forum in my forum, to speak with their partners about local things and for general issues they will use the general forum. i put the president´s club like administrator but just of his space, i mean in the corresponding subforum and he will make all whatever he wants and i don´t have to make changes all the time.
D¡cky
Former Team Member
Name: Richard Foote

Post by D¡cky »

zenit10 wrote:that sound great dicki.
i put an user like standard administrator but i can´t see anywhere Forum Admin Role.
In Permission section i can see:

Admin Roles
User Roles
Moderator Roles
Forum Role

where is it??
You don't need to add a member to the Administrator group to give them Admin permissions, but the procedure is the same whether you add them or not.
Click the User & Groups tab
Click Users' permissions under the Manage users heading
Enter the user name and Submit
At the Select type: dropdown, select Admin Permissions and click Go.
Now, under Administrative permissions you should see the various roles.
Select Forum Admin if that is the role you want.
Click Advanced permissions to see what the actual permissions are and adjust them if necessary.
Have you hugged someone today?
Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

zenit10 wrote:Pony in my forum i have many secctions. one of them is a compilation of clubs.
my idea is that any clubs have their own forum in my forum, to speak with their partners about local things and for general issues they will use the general forum. i put the president´s club like administrator but just of his space, i mean in the corresponding subforum and he will make all whatever he wants and i don´t have to make changes all the time.
If you give somebody the ability to manage forums, they'll be able to manage all of the forums, even for other clubs.

To do what you want would require a MOD to either make some Admin permissions forum-dependent or add new Moderator permissions to create sub-forums. Otherwise you'll have to create new forums yourself.

Steve

P.S. Not to contradict Dicky, but best practices usually suggest creating new groups, adding users to those groups, then setting group permissions. Setting a single user's permission like Dicky suggested is possible, but it tends to be harder to track, especially when you want to give the same permissions to multiple people (although you can probably use Roles to make it simpler).

Steve
zenit10

Post by zenit10 »

D¡cky wrote:You don't need to add a member to the Administrator group to give them Admin permissions, but the procedure is the same whether you add them or not.
Click Advanced permissions to see what the actual permissions are and adjust them if necessary.
i did it and in advanced permission i cant set permission for particular subforum. how can i do that? but keep in mind that i just want to give him permission for that subforum and their 'childrens' xd.
Pony99CA wrote:To do what you want would require a MOD to either make some Admin permissions forum-dependent or add new Moderator permissions to create sub-forums. Otherwise you'll have to create new forums yourself.
steve, what MOD are you speaking about??
Pony99CA wrote:P.S. Not to contradict Dicky, but best practices usually suggest creating new groups, adding users to those groups, then setting group permissions. Setting a single user's permission like Dicky suggested is possible, but it tends to be harder to track, especially when you want to give the same permissions to multiple people (although you can probably use Roles to make it simpler).
i dont know very well how phpbb works but if you make a new group and set it some permission, can you choose later an user that can use that group privilegies on a particular subforum without any problem.

dicky, steve, thanks a lot for you help
i thought it had no solutions
Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

zenit10 wrote:
D¡cky wrote:You don't need to add a member to the Administrator group to give them Admin permissions, but the procedure is the same whether you add them or not.
i did it and in advanced permission i cant set permission for particular subforum. how can i do that? but keep in mind that i just want to give him permission for that subforum and their 'childrens' xd.
You can't assign forum specific administration permissions. Just tell those users to not mess with forums they don't manage, and if you can't trust them to don't do that they really shouldn't have administration permissions in the first place.
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)
zenit10

Post by zenit10 »

i can´t give that kind of permiss to an user who i dont know. i think it could be good for future version to allow that.
Is this the properly place to suggest it?
you all, like nembers of the phpbb team can disccuss to include in the future??

thank you very much
Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean »

zenit10 wrote:i can´t give that kind of permiss to an user who i dont know.
You should only give permissions to users that you can trust, giving *someone* any permissions behind that of regular user will come back to bite you down the road.
If I where you I'd really give things a second thought whether this is the setup you want.
zenit10 wrote:Is this the properly place to suggest it?
you all, like nembers of the phpbb team can disccuss to include in the future??
You can start feature discussions (or even better purpose an RFC) on the development board at area51.
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)
zenit10

Post by zenit10 »

ok. i gonna try to put a post to discuss this. i think it could be a great feature.

thanks a lot for your help

Return to “phpBB Discussion”