[BETA] Account Links

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Suggested Hosts
Drakkim

Re: [BETA] Account Links

Post by Drakkim »

Basically just translate the text on the right of the =>. Leave everything to the left alone, as that's what the forum reads.
Peter86

Post by Peter86 »

Just as I thought.
What's the best way accord you the language pack I made? And do you have a test forum, where I can see if everything is displayed in the right way? Because web-space and an own forum are things I don't have yet.

And you seem to have experience with RP in Forums. Can I ask you about other useful mods in this matter?
Drakkim

Post by Drakkim »

Either email the language file to me or post it into a PM (my email address is in the mod installer). As far as other mods, it depends on what type of RP you want to have. Dice-based RPs definitely benefit from the dice mods available (one of the boards I help on uses a heavily modified dice mod that even includes anti-cheating stuff). I've also got a mod I've not released that adds moderator controlled stats to the poster area of each post. That one's useful, but not quite ready for me to let it out of the bag.

More involved RP forums seem to benefit from a points mod and such, but until a full on RP mod is released, I don't really see how...

Not so much of a forum mod, but I've modified a version of RPG WebProfiler to integrate into phpBB. It's a character sheet program that works with lots of d20 games, but I've also made more sheets for non-d20 games. I'm in the process of merging the changes I've made in that for two different sites, but I can make that available as well.
Peter86

Post by Peter86 »

OK, then I will mail you the language pack.

The RP we a planning will be dice-based. So a reliable dice mod would really be great. Besides from the account links this is the most important mod we are looking for. All the other things we can implement later (or maybe never).

Besides some mods to make the forum more comfortable would be fine, but are not really necessary. To create appealing posts some BBCode like center and table would be good. But I'm not sure if it will be so easy because of the dice mod. I would have to implement the dice in a modified BBCode Box or something like that.

A style, which fits the fantasy-setting would be fine as well.

The characters attributes and skills can be managed in a separate board. I think we don't need a mod for that.

The last point is the main page. Somewhere we need to describe the game systems an the background infos. Is it recommendable to use some kind of portal mod or to link a separate page? Do you have experience with that?
Peter86

Post by Peter86 »

I tested the mode (and the language pack) on a local host with phpBB3 3.0.9. The mod is really easy to add!
And it works just fine too.
But in UCP the option 'Manage Linked Accounts' is still displayed in English. It should be called something like 'Verknüpfte Benutzer verwalten'.

You mentioned a dice mod. Which one is it? Which mod version and which forum version?
Drakkim

Post by Drakkim »

I'm surprised you're the first person to point that out... I've got it fixed, but I'm doing a bunch of other updates and it's not stable at the moment. Hopefully I'll have it back out to you very soon!

The dice mod we use was heavily modified by someone else in the forum before I started helping out, and the original is abandoned... but someone else picked up the original and has been working on it. I haven't used the updated version, but here is a link: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1816135
Xajar

Post by Xajar »

I have a quick question:

I know this mod allows you to link multiple accounts into one, or at least under an organized list where you can swap accounts easily. However, is there a way the user can just maintain 1 account name and have multiple "profile" or "characters"? (consisting of an name & avatar at the least)

Example would be, following your gaming concept, if a person joins the boards because he plays World of Warcraft, and he wants to represent his self as a Hunter, a Paladin, and a Warrior that he plays inside the game. He wants to post from each character in a true RP status, not allowing anyone else know that its the same controller behind each character. Does that mean he needs to create 1 master account, then 2 other accounts, then link them together? What if he place 8 characters on WOW, 8 different accounts? What if he plays WOW, RIFT, EQ, etc, it would add up to a single person having 20+ accounts?

I truly love the idea behind this mod, I just see the possibility of a huge database/accounts with a board that is big.

Any comments, ideas, or lashings would be welcome.

(PM me, as I have a couple other things I would like to pass by you also)

Xajar
Uffee__

Post by Uffee__ »

No screenshots? Any board that have installed this mod that I can try on? :D
Drakkim

Post by Drakkim »

Xajar wrote:I know this mod allows you to link multiple accounts into one, or at least under an organized list where you can swap accounts easily. However, is there a way the user can just maintain 1 account name and have multiple "profile" or "characters"? (consisting of an name & avatar at the least)
I've thought about this in the past, but I could never think of a clean way to handle profiles without re-writing a lot of the core code and essentially writing a new account system. Especially since some boards don't want players to know who is running what character...
Raelith

Post by Raelith »

I'm currently playing an online RPG and one of the devs has asked if i could come up with some plan to autoadd a main account to the phpbb board when an account is made.

On top of this he wanted to know if another forum account could be made for each character that the player makes in their account (this game is pure RP). So a player could have up to 6 forum accounts each - main account and 5 in-game characters

This mod seems to have saved me a lot of work if it works well (not tried it yet).
Is there anywhere to see it in action?
Drakkim

Post by Drakkim »

I"m not 100% sure I understand. As far as this mod is concerned, the first account you link from is the "main account." But if you mean adding a main account group, that isn't something this does. However, you can install a normal auto group mod, I believe... I don't think that would affect this mod (so they would not be added to this group if they create an account from here)

The mod also has an "Create Linked Account" option that essentially clones the main account, asks for a new username and password and links the new account to the old one. At least I'm pretty sure that's in the main version.
Natural-Hazard

Post by Natural-Hazard »

Hi guys, wondering if someone could help me here.

I've just installed this on my new forums and every time I navigate to the manage accounts page, my entire layout breaks. My layout is built on prosilver :)

http://www.theimperium.org/images/broke.png

every other UPC page loads correctly

http://www.theimperium.org/images/normal.png
Natural-Hazard

Post by Natural-Hazard »

I've managed to fix the layout issue, however the switch form only shows up when you're on the manage linked accounts. Any other page and the menu disappears... any idea why?
Drakkim

Post by Drakkim »

Could you send me the corrected template (I assume that's what the problem was?) That was actually a problem I have been working on... just been too busy with school holidays and other "real life" stuff to look at it much lately.

As far as the account switch box not appearing, that is likely because there is a file edit missing in functions.php. That edit loads the account link code into the forum, which otherwise only happens on the control panel pages.

Code: Select all

OPEN "includes/functions.php"

FIND
	// application/xhtml+xml not used because of IE
	header('Content-type: text/html; charset=UTF-8');

ADD BEFORE
	// Begin Account Link Mod
	require_once($phpbb_root_path . 'includes/functions_account_link.' . $phpEx);
	account_link_form ();
	// End Account Link Mod
Rotsblok
Name: Rikkert Westa

Post by Rotsblok »

Hmmm still waiting for my request :D.. looks awesome, but I have no use for it unless I can restrict it to admins and mods...
Nederlandse Support site
Several dutch translations for 3.1 extensions if you need one or there is an update of an extension feel free to notify me.

Return to “[3.0.x] MODs in Development”