examples of a 'newsletter' type post with BBCODE?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
DaveH

examples of a 'newsletter' type post with BBCODE?

Post by DaveH »

Hello all -

I have been asked to post a monthly newsletter (previously distributed in PDF) and start putting it on our forum instead. I have used BBCODE a little bit, and I understand html, so I'm sure I can do something decent.

But I wonder - does anyone have any great examples of formatting in a newsletter style using BBCODE??? I looked around on and I was able to find lots of BBCODE reference, but not many examples!

thanks, DAve
Pit$Bull
Former Team Member
Name: Can't Remember

Re: examples of a 'newsletter' type post with BBCODE?

Post by Pit$Bull »

Try searching or posting in this topic http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 6&t=579376
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

bbcode is probably not going to be the best way to do this.

I would attach the pdf documents using the attachment feature.
viewers would then be able to click on it and have their pdf reader display if for them.
here is an example of how that would work:

robert
Attachments
Hypnosis-Who_It_Will_Work_For.pdf
(315.17 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

Thanks for your reply. The reason we want to display it right on the forum is to make it incredibly easy for people to respond right in the thread.

My user base consists of VERY tech-unsavvy folks and I don't want to burden them with having to download anything, install Adobe, or know to come back to the forum to comment :) As simple as possible is the way to go for us :)
Pit$Bull
Former Team Member

Post by Pit$Bull »

Pit$Bull wrote:Try searching or posting in this topic http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 6&t=579376
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

Pit$Bull wrote:
Pit$Bull wrote:Try searching or posting in this topic http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 6&t=579376
I searched that thread, yes.
Pit$Bull
Former Team Member

Post by Pit$Bull »

Did you post a question?
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

I did not. Is there some reason you are so opposed to this thread? It's a general question and I'm not sure why any BBCODE related question should be added to an already-huge thread.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

What do you mean by "Newsletter Style"?
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

Hi brf,

Thanks for your reply. What I am hoping to accomplish is to send out our newsletter using the forum instead of just emailing out a PDF so that people will be encouraged to visit the forum and discuss the newsletter there instead of having a huge nightmare of an email thread. These are older, less savvy users so I want it to be easy :)

So, I'd love to send out an email to ALL users with a notice that the new newsletter has been posted on the forum, with a link to the new topic/thread. And the initial post of the thread would be the newsletter itself. It will be pretty simple, a few short articles and maybe a photo or two. But I'd like it to look nice, with maybe a couple of columns and a classic newsletter appearance.

So, an example of the general style (and even these are more complex than it needs to be) would be something like these two:

http://gifky.com/LivePreview/?theme=Fresh%20Newsletter
http://themeforest.net/item/daily-newsl ... iew/515255

I am also seeing some mods that seem to be able to do these things so I'm looking into that.

thank you very much, Dave
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

A BBcode is just a simple HTML markup replacement. You could not build a page with a simple bbcode. Try looking in the Mods database for something like that.
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

Brf wrote:A BBcode is just a simple HTML markup replacement. You could not build a page with a simple bbcode. Try looking in the Mods database for something like that.
Actually a developer I worked with was able to put some custom BBCODE into phpbb (somehow) and have it make table tags, and that was used to make a highly customized page layout. So, I'm pretty sure it can be done just not by me :)
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

yes, that is using bbcode to create html type layout. that is what we have suggested for you as about the only way to get what you want. bbcodes get discussed in the bbcode forum that is why you were directed there to begin with.

I understand your concern about the older non tech savy people. some of us older people are more tech savy than you think. :lol:

anyway, I would suggest you simply create a new phpbb page, then post your newsletter using standard html
then, in your email, link to that new page. it will automaticallyl have links back to the board and you can make sure that it links back to the correct discussion area that you want.
here is a quick example that I created for you:
http://phpbbace.com/board/news.php

would that work for you?

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

I can't see the example, there is some kind of error!
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:http://phpbbace.com/board/news.php
I'm seeing:
template->_tpl_load_file(): File ./styles/subsilver2/template/news_body.html does not exist or is empty
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”