Permission Mod

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Anti-Spam Guide
sugarplumplum

Re: Permission Mod

Post by sugarplumplum » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:36 am

Oh what a newb :roll:

I've got it now, without changing any php at all.

For those with same questions, here is what I did:

Administration Control Panel > USERS AND GROUPS TAB > Groups' forum permissions

Look up usergroup: Guests > Submit

Select a forum: YOUR FORUM > Submit

Advanced Permissions >

Can see forum > Yes
Can read forum > No

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:04 pm

sugarplumplum wrote:I want the guest to see the title of the forum but not access the content without registration and logging in.
You do not need any mod for that.
Simply go into Advanced Permissions in Forum Permissions and set "Can see forum" to Yes, and "Can read forum" to No.

theScotster

Post by theScotster » Tue May 28, 2013 11:18 am

Sorry to bump an old thread, found this while searching for help on permissions.

I'm looking to extend the permissions to cover the following....

Category 1 - Guests can see topics and guests can view posts
Category 2 - Guests can see topics but guests cannot view posts
Category 3 - Guests can't see the topics or the posts

Is this possible or does it require more fudging?

Effectively I want guests to see what they are missing in some areas, to push them towards registering, but I don't want them to see private areas of the forum.

Thanks

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Tue May 28, 2013 11:27 am

Better to start a new topic.

The only MOD would be for the middle one I think
theScotster wrote:Category 1 - Guests can see topics and guests can view posts
Set the guest group to Read Only for that forum
theScotster wrote:Category 2 - Guests can see topics but guests cannot view posts
As mentioned by Brf in the post above. Can see forum - yes, can read forum - no, which would let them see it's there but not read the contents. Not exactly what you want but not far off
theScotster wrote:Category 3 - Guests can't see the topics or the posts
Set the guest group to No Access.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

theScotster

Post by theScotster » Tue May 28, 2013 12:18 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply.

Everything works perfectly other than the last category. Unfortunately setting it to no access makes the category completely invisible. I was wanting the forum/category to be visible so that they can see the section exists.

For example...

Members Only

That way guests know there is a members only section in the forum but they can't actually see any of the topics or posts inside it.

Thanks for your help :)

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Tue May 28, 2013 12:53 pm

You can only see a category if you have access to the forums in it.
You'd need something specially coded to do what you want I suspect.

An alternative is to make a forum which guests can read with a post explaining what the site is about, what's on it and that you have a members section. Are they really going to be interested to know there's a members section? Especially if you show it and then they find they can't read it anyway.
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

theScotster

Post by theScotster » Tue May 28, 2013 1:05 pm

Kevin Clark wrote:You can only see a category if you have access to the forums in it.
You'd need something specially coded to do what you want I suspect.

An alternative is to make a forum which guests can read with a post explaining what the site is about, what's on it and that you have a members section. Are they really going to be interested to know there's a members section? Especially if you show it and then they find they can't read it anyway.
It was more to show off different areas that are available to members, ie a visible incentive to sign up.

I could write something up but to be honest, most guests won't read intro's or information. Most of the time I feel they give the place a quick glance and then go directly to the information they are after.

Lots of content on my forum that guests are viewing.... but they aren't signing up.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Tue May 28, 2013 1:13 pm

I tend to just lock out the one or two forums with the most important info.
Cheap UK Hosting

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue May 28, 2013 1:27 pm

It seems to me that what we care about is people posting. If they are not registering so they can post then I don't care how many guests come along and view all the existing posts. Therefore, I reqire registration to be able to post anywhere. Most people that won't register wouldn't even post if they did so why bother getting them to register to see the rest of the board etc.?

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

theScotster

Post by theScotster » Thu May 30, 2013 11:07 am

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:It seems to me that what we care about is people posting. If they are not registering so they can post then I don't care how many guests come along and view all the existing posts. Therefore, I reqire registration to be able to post anywhere. Most people that won't register wouldn't even post if they did so why bother getting them to register to see the rest of the board etc.?

robert

Very good points but when a board is in its infancy people will be less likely to sign up if there are no (or very few) members, regardless of whether they plan on posting or not.

My aim at the moment is to get people signed up, after that it will be to get the people who have signed up to make a valid contribution to the forum. Once everything is up and running I will have exactly the same view and standpoint as yourself.

Guests and a few members are all I have at the moment. I'm trying to build up my content and have gotten to a state where I am getting a reasonable amount of hits (considering the size). Now I want to entice people who are giving me those hits to sign up, by making the content visible to members only (and bots). I understand that users can use the google cache but that's not ideal.

I couldn't tell you the amount of forums I have viewed and not signed up to because I took one look at the amount of members/posts and didn't see the point.... even though I found the information I was looking for there.

zuardin

Post by zuardin » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:37 am

Thanks Brf,,working fine ;)

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Requests”