[Discuss] phpBB 3.1 "Ascraeus" to require PHP 5.3.3

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
MichanForo

Re: [Discuss] phpBB 3.1 "Ascraeus" to require PHP 5.3.2

Post by MichanForo »

Well, my hosting is running PHP 5.2.14... but I hope they'll upgrade soon to this version :P
DoYouSpeakWak

Post by DoYouSpeakWak »

victory1 wrote:I see on my cpanel that my host is using PHP 5.2.17, when I inquire when they will switch to 5.3, I was told how to switch to PHP 5.3.x?

By default, we use PHP 5.2.x on our systems, however if you wish to run PHP 5.3.x, please add the following line to your public_html .htaccess file:

AddType application/x-httpd-php53 php53 php

So just because your host is running 5.2, does not mean that 5.3 is not available. My ACP PHP Information says PHP Version 5.3.6
If your acp php info says you running 5.3.6 then your running 5.3.6, some hosts provides both still. I suggest anyone to get a vps and install it them self. you can get a vps for 15-20 dollars a year these days that works just fine.
Whatever you share comes back. Support the phpBB Communities
Offering paid services. 15+ years of experience with phpBB3 and server management.
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

DoYouSpeakWak wrote:I suggest anyone to get a vps and install it them self. you can get a vps for 15-20 dollars a year these days that works just fine.
That sounds wak (pun intended). Non-free shared hosting that I've seen runs at least $2.00 per month (or $24 per year). I've never seen VPS for close to that, much less cheaper.

Also, not everybody wants to have to worry about installing their infrastructure themselves. Installing phpBB presents them with enough challenges as is. :)

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
callumacrae
Former Team Member
Name: Callum Macrae

Post by callumacrae »

Pony99CA wrote:
DoYouSpeakWak wrote:I suggest anyone to get a vps and install it them self. you can get a vps for 15-20 dollars a year these days that works just fine.
That sounds wak (pun intended). Non-free shared hosting that I've seen runs at least $2.00 per month (or $24 per year). I've never seen VPS for close to that, much less cheaper.

Also, not everybody wants to have to worry about installing their infrastructure themselves. Installing phpBB presents them with enough challenges as is. :)

Steve
I've never used a decent hosting service for $2/m ;-)

Minimum I would pay for shared hosting is $5/m, minimum for a VPS would be $15/m - although it is possible to get both for far cheaper.

My stats might be a few years out of date, I get everything for free these days.
macr.ae = my website. you probably won't like it.
Proud user ofProud user of
Elias
Name: Elias

Post by Elias »

callumacrae wrote:My stats might be a few years out of date, I get everything for free these days.
I know, right ;)
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|
DoYouSpeakWak

Post by DoYouSpeakWak »

You can find good offers on WHT, (webhostingtalk.com)

Iwe got two $15-20yr boxes with 128mb ram atm. both for about 6 month. one have had 5 mins of downtime or so, runs nginx and apc, load times 0.020 or so on index. Other has more downtime. So its a chance of course. Then again im using some 30 euro a month vps as well, they arnt perfect either. It all comes down to pride of service for the host. Not always the price.

Its not for everybody, but it does open up some great options. get a kvm vps were you can upgrade the kernel, but arch on it and you will have a very fast box with latest packages. Currently if you are on centos with php 5.2.x your kernel and other essential packages will be years old. Not weeks. But thats a longer discussion :)

Most hosts just setup a shared box. Let it run without updates as long as its online. Those are the lazy ones you imo have to avoid. unsafe to use such a old system.
Whatever you share comes back. Support the phpBB Communities
Offering paid services. 15+ years of experience with phpBB3 and server management.
bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager
Name: Andreas Fischer

Post by bantu »

In general this is not a good idea. Most of our users do not have the knowledge to run their own server and it is quite easy to get into legal trouble when it gets hacked e.g. because it is running outdated software. Hosting companies are supposed to take care of those problems.