release date for 3.1?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
MichaelC
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Michael Cullum

Re: realise data for 3.1?

Post by MichaelC »

Cpt. Blackbeard wrote:
Boardtalk.net wrote:I like this page as it gives a quick overview on everything;
phpbb Road Map
I can't help but think though that if they dropped 3.0.11 & 3.0.12 and focused that time on 3.1 they could have it out this year.True? I don't know.
Who said 3.0.11 and 3.0.12 will be released?

Ultimately since 3.0.10 was released only a few olympus changes have been made and not nearly enough to warrant a release. All bugs fixed in olympus get merged to ascreaus so I think you'll find the next release that happens will be 3.1-Alpha (only 2 large features left too go and 1 is almost done).
:)
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss.
Formerly Website Team Lead/Manager & Development Team.
Please don't PM me for support (or stuff that belongs in the forums or tracker) but otherwise feel free
Ephemeraboy
Name: Bernando Bona Tius Sianipar

Re: release date for 3.1?

Post by Ephemeraboy »

so far i watch the pattern of release date
i know the fact that only God does know the exact date :D
My diary, my notepad, and my life on
http://www.bonatius.com
My online shop at
http://www.nefara.com
Cpt. Blackbeard

Post by Cpt. Blackbeard »

Mick wrote:
Cpt. Blackbeard wrote:I can't help but think though that if they dropped 3.0.11 & 3.0.12 and focused that time on 3.1 they could have it out this year.True? I don't know.
It doesn't matter what number juggling you do it will be ready when it's ready.
I know that, but do you deny that Developers working on 3.0.11 are not spending that time working on 3.1, thus pushing back the release date of 3.1? IF they have 4.5 hours per day to work on development (Arbitrary number, I have no idea how many they work) and they spend three of that on 3.0.11, one hour on 3.0.12 and 30 minutes on 3.1 that's 4 hours per day that 3.1 gets pushed back. I personally would prefer the next update to be 3.1.
Cpt. Blackbeard

Unknown Bliss wrote:
Cpt. Blackbeard wrote:
Boardtalk.net wrote:I like this page as it gives a quick overview on everything;
phpbb Road Map
I can't help but think though that if they dropped 3.0.11 & 3.0.12 and focused that time on 3.1 they could have it out this year.True? I don't know.
Who said 3.0.11 and 3.0.12 will be released?

Ultimately since 3.0.10 was released only a few olympus changes have been made and not nearly enough to warrant a release. All bugs fixed in olympus get merged to ascreaus so I think you'll find the next release that happens will be 3.1-Alpha (only 2 large features left too go and 1 is almost done).
I hope you're right, I'm looking forward to 3.1 being released.
callumacrae
Former Team Member
Name: Callum Macrae

Post by callumacrae »

Cpt. Blackbeard wrote:
Mick wrote:
Cpt. Blackbeard wrote:I can't help but think though that if they dropped 3.0.11 & 3.0.12 and focused that time on 3.1 they could have it out this year.True? I don't know.
It doesn't matter what number juggling you do it will be ready when it's ready.
I know that, but do you deny that Developers working on 3.0.11 are not spending that time working on 3.1, thus pushing back the release date of 3.1? IF they have 4.5 hours per day to work on development (Arbitrary number, I have no idea how many they work) and they spend three of that on 3.0.11, one hour on 3.0.12 and 30 minutes on 3.1 that's 4 hours per day that 3.1 gets pushed back. I personally would prefer the next update to be 3.1.
EITHER:

3.0.11: bugs fixed and 3.1: features added

OR:

3.1: bugs fixed and features added

I don't see how skipping 3.0.11 would help…
macr.ae = my website. you probably won't like it.
Proud user ofProud user of
Cpt. Blackbeard

Since I'm not privy to inside information I don't know that it will, it depends on how much of 3.0 will be incorporated into 3.1
callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

Cpt. Blackbeard wrote:Since I'm not privy to inside information I don't know that it will, it depends on how much of 3.0 will be incorporated into 3.1
3.1 just adding some features to 3.0
callumacrae
Former Team Member

Re: Vote phpBB as the Best Forum Software of 2012

Post by callumacrae »

Big-Jim wrote:I am a little confused as to what "next months" means. Does that mean one or two months, or does that mean fifty months? It is my understanding the Hooks System will be incorporated in version 3.1 when it comes out. Whenever anyone asks the developers when version 3.1 will be ready they say that it will be done when it's done. So apparently they don't really know when it will be done. I guess my question to you is, if the people who are working on it don't know when it will be done, how is it that you profess to know when they will complete it?
By keeping an eye on http://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3# ... dmap-panel ;-)
MichaelC
Consultant
Consultant

Post by MichaelC »

Big-Jim wrote:
brunoais wrote:But that will be solved in the next months.
I am a little confused as to what "next months" means. Does that mean one or two months, or does that mean fifty months? It is my understanding the Hooks System will be incorporated in version 3.1 when it comes out. Whenever anyone asks the developers when version 3.1 will be ready they say that it will be done when it's done. So apparently they don't really know when it will be done. I guess my question to you is, if the people who are working on it don't know when it will be done, how is it that you profess to know when they will complete it?
3.1 alpha will be released as soon as the hooks system (now called events) is finished.

However there are still a couple of other blockers. Extensions Front Pages which is finished awaiting merging. Extensions Admin which needs an extra feature or two and I'll finish it tomorrow. Migrations which naderman should have finished shortly.

Events (hooks) need a few small tweaks and it will be ready for merge.

I would say all blockers would be finished in the next few weeks (no promises, just an estimate) and 3.1-Alpha will follow shortly.

3.1 is closer than you think.
Please don't PM me for support (or stuff that belongs in the forums or tracker) but otherwise feel free
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

Unknown Bliss wrote:3.1 alpha will be released as soon as the hooks system (now called events) is finished.
Getting a bit off-topic here, so what the heck. :) I don't like the renaming. I think "events" should be reserved for user-level events (when a user gets X posts, promote him to the Y group; if a user has been registered a year, send him an anniversary E-mail; etc.). Ranks and subscriptions could even be subsumed into events.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
MichaelC
Consultant
Consultant

Post by MichaelC »

Pony99CA wrote:
Unknown Bliss wrote:3.1 alpha will be released as soon as the hooks system (now called events) is finished.
Getting a bit off-topic here, so what the heck. :) I don't like the renaming. I think "events" should be reserved for user-level events (when a user gets X posts, promote him to the Y group; if a user has been registered a year, send him an anniversary E-mail; etc.). Ranks and subscriptions could even be subsumed into events.

Steve
That was briefly discussed but decided not to be an issue as those conditional events won't be implemented until at least phpBB 4. Events is commonly used instead of hooks in web development.

You can view information including terminology here
FloridaMan339
Name: Randy Wood

Post by FloridaMan339 »

So by using hooks, events, listeners, whatever you call them, we won't have to struggle with stuff like the much used and abused "overall_header.html" anymore? We can just add links to other pages (like is done in "shtml" menus and etc. in "html" coding)? Like

Code: Select all

<!-- INCLUDE mypage.html here -->
That would certainly make life easier!
Now you have to wade through hundreds of lines of modded code to find
where the mod author wants the changes made. Doing it with "INCLUDE"
statements would certainly make modding easier. If the mod bombs,
all you need to do is erase one line and the page is restored!
callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

FloridaMan339 wrote:So by using hooks, events, listeners, whatever you call them, we won't have to struggle with stuff like the much used and abused "overall_header.html" anymore? We can just add links to other pages (like is done in "shtml" menus and etc. in "html" coding)? Like

Code: Select all

<!-- INCLUDE mypage.html here -->
That would certainly make life easier!
Now you have to wade through hundreds of lines of modded code to find
where the mod author wants the changes made. Doing it with "INCLUDE"
statements would certainly make modding easier. If the mod bombs,
all you need to do is erase one line and the page is restored!
That already exists xD
MichaelC
Consultant
Consultant

Post by MichaelC »

Not quite. In templates you would see
<!-- EVENT event_identifier -->
And then an extension could create a file with the name of the identifier and the contents of that file would be 'injected into that code'

For modifying php code, variables can be passed in and changed, and extra code can be added and injected.
Danielx64
Name: Daniel

Post by Danielx64 »

Now is 3.1 going to be so big that no mod will work with it? Or is it depending on what changes there are?
Please note that I will not be porting any of my mods to phpBB 3.1. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”