phpBB's killer feature

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
space1nvader

phpBB's killer feature

Post by space1nvader »

Hi!

We want forum and there are many choices. Is there in phpBB something which make you say "I just want that!"? We don't know what forum we want so maybe you tell us what make you like phpBB? Why choose this script over other?
Space1nvader Image
Kamahl19
Name: Martin

Re: phpBB's killer feature

Post by Kamahl19 »

From my sight, phpBB has not the most features. There are other bulletin boards with much more features, which looks very pretty and shiny. For example vB has some kind of social network and CMS inside. myBB has reputation system, calendar and events etc.

Why am I stuck with phpBB for years then? :) Answer is very simple. phpBB is really the best bulletin board solution on market and here are my reasons:

1. phpBB is really secure, there is no known vulnerability and we dont know about ANY phpBB board which has been hacked because of security hole.
2. phpBB has the best support forum and supporters. They can help you with everything
3. Lack of features is solved by many really good MODs. There is a good reputation system, CMS, Blogs, Calendar, Social network. You can add pretty much everything to your phpBB
4. phpBB has the best, lightweight and simple to understand code. It is fun to customize it, not like ugly vB or myBB code..
5. phpBB has the best permissions system which is important for every succesfull forum site
6. With phpBB you can be sure that there will always be live support and new versions. I am pretty sure phpBB will not die like other bulletin board softwares.. You can look forward to phpBB 3.1, 3.2 and 4

These are only few reasons which comes to my mind at this late hour (1am) but I am pretty sure it is enough for you to decide what is better for you.
callumacrae
Former Team Member
Name: Callum Macrae

Post by callumacrae »

My favourite feature in phpBB is the lack of useless functions (for example, SMF randomly has a calendar). Everything is available using modifications anyway, if you want it. I find a lot of the other forum solutions to be bloated as hell, compared to phpBB.
macr.ae = my website. you probably won't like it.
Proud user ofProud user of
Elias
Name: Elias

Post by Elias »

I would go with how secure phpBB is and the activity of it's Support Team 8-)
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|
Offering private web hosting. Contact me for details.
Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx »

I'm a fan of the Prosilver style/s phpbb has. looks aren't everything, but it matters... The first thing ppl are going to notice is your layout before they understand what features your board may have. :)
noth

Post by noth »

the Prosilver style IS good but it was launched in 2007

even though it has lasted six years and still looks good what is your reaction upon seeing a new forum? one that has just launched and hey the admin has given the default style as Prosilver :P hmmmm can be a disappointing thing, especially if absolutely no modifications have been done at all

having said that, I am with Kamahl19 and his 6 bullet points 8-)
FB92

Post by FB92 »

When it comes to phpBB there is certain things I like. Such as having to manaully add MODs. So much better than having AutoMOD or stuff like that.
callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

FB92 wrote:When it comes to phpBB there is certain things I like. Such as having to manaully add MODs. So much better than having AutoMOD or stuff like that.
Most people would find that a disadvantage… but I like it, too
FB92

Post by FB92 »

I agree. But putting in the code manually defeats the 1000+ bugs with AutoMOD plus it's just as quick as I've been doing it for years.
Cpt. Blackbeard

Post by Cpt. Blackbeard »

noth wrote:the Prosilver style IS good but it was launched in 2007

even though it has lasted six years and still looks good what is your reaction upon seeing a new forum? one that has just launched and hey the admin has given the default style as Prosilver :P hmmmm can be a disappointing thing, especially if absolutely no modifications have been done at all

If I visit a Forum and see the default Prosilver I figure the Admin has no clue about forums and leave, even this support Forum doesn't use the default styles.
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

Cpt. Blackbeard wrote: If I visit a Forum and see the default Prosilver I figure the Admin has no clue about forums and leave[....]
Wow, that's judgmental. Maybe the admin would rather focus on new content than styles or doesn't want to have to deal with styles that might not get updated when the next phpBB release comes out.

Be glad that when people see somebody on phpBB using "forum" instead of "board" or not editing irrelevant text out of quotes, they don't judge that person as clueless (even if they've made 418 posts here). :lol:

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul »

Cpt. Blackbeard wrote:
noth wrote:the Prosilver style IS good but it was launched in 2007

even this support Forum doesn't use the default styles.
The only difference with prosilver is the color and the header really ;).
Knock knock
Race condition
Who's there?

My BlogMy Photosmy phpBB Extensionscustom phpBB work & Development
Cpt. Blackbeard

Post by Cpt. Blackbeard »

Pony99CA wrote:
Cpt. Blackbeard wrote: If I visit a Forum and see the default Prosilver I figure the Admin has no clue about forums and leave[....]
Wow, that's judgmental. Maybe the admin would rather focus on new content than styles or doesn't want to have to deal with styles that might not get updated when the next phpBB release comes out.

Be glad that when people see somebody on phpBB using "forum" instead of "board" or not editing irrelevant text out of quotes, they don't judge that person as clueless (even if they've made 418 posts here). :lol:

Steve
Oh my, you are so right, how dare I state my opinion here, I should know by now Opinions are not welcome in this FORUM, I'll go hang my head in shame now.
callumacrae
Former Team Member

Post by callumacrae »

I mean, who puts their board in /forum/ anyway? EVERYONE puts it in /board/!

:roll:
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA »

Cpt. Blackbeard wrote: Oh my, you are so right, how dare I state my opinion here, I should know by now Opinions are not welcome in this FORUM, I'll go hang my head in shame now.
Nobody criticized you for posting an opinion. I criticized you because your opinion seemed superficial and shallow. Unless you can't stand somebody's style, why wouldn't you at least check out a board's content? But maybe you prefer form over function.

As an analogy, if you make negative judgements based on somebody's skin color, you're prejudiced (if not a racist) and you shouldn't whine when called out on it. You're certainly entitled to have that opinion, but if you post it in public, don't play shocked when people tell you that it's idiotic. :shock:

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”