[Discuss] Introducing Forumatic - Managed phpBB Hosting

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
keith10456

Re: Why there isnt atleast beta version of 3.1??

Post by keith10456 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:23 pm

Marshalrusty wrote:The idea for Forumatic was born out of a desire to improve the long-term success of the phpBB project. We looked at the models used by other open source software organizations (Wordpress, drupal, Webkit, various Linux Distributions, etc.) and decided that a managed hosting service would be a perfect solution. At the moment, all phpBB users take the software and deploy it on 3rd party hosting platforms. The vast majority of users do not have time or the skills to properly maintain their installation, which is why we see so many "one-click installers" with the ability to, often improperly, install and update popular software like phpBB. Forumatic solves this problem by offering a fully maintained option to users who just want a forum without any hassles. At the moment, the only way to contribute to phpBB is to personally be involved in the community. Users of Forumatic effectively contribute resources back into the development of the phpBB software. Additional resources will be funneled back into the community where none were present before.

When this was brought up internally, some team members voiced strong objections to the phpBB project directly engaging in a for-profit venture. It was therefore decided that Forumatic would be a separate legal entity, leaving the open source project to continue behaving and making decision like it always has. Much like Wordpress.com/Automattic is to Wordpress.org, Acquia is to Drupal, and Canonical is to Ubuntu, Forumatic can hire phpBB developers, contribute code, host events, etc.
Thanks for the explanation.

Great idea and good work... I think this is good for phpBB ;)

FoFa
Name: Daniel L.

Re: [Discuss] Introducing Forumatic - Managed phpBB Hosting

Post by FoFa » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:07 am

Hello,

Good idea, I like it.

What about adding other languages than English ?

I'm a French phpBB user, and I saw, after testing, there is only one language: English. And no way to add more languages (or I didn't find it).

Greatings :wink:
Formly ForumsFaciles :wink:

naderman
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Nils Adermann

Post by naderman » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:40 am

Hey,

we now have a french language pack for you, just go to ACP -> System -> Language Packs and install it on your board.

In general, please ask support questions regarding Forumatic on the Forumatic Support Forum at http://support.forumatic.com/
I appreciate gifts from my Amazon wishlist.
naderman.de twitter: @naderman

Stoker 4.0
Name: Ulrik Christensen

Post by Stoker 4.0 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:02 am

I think this is a great idea!
Giving users an easy way to have their new board hosted.

But your pricing is way too high!
I would have to pay 60 USD if I wanted 1 of my boards on forumatic. Thats more than I pay for my entire quad core, 16 gb ram root server.
And with forumatic I dont even get FTP access so I can mod the board?

EDIT:
When testing the upload function I got this message:
The attachment’s file size is too large, the maximum upload size is 2 MB.
Please note this is set in php.ini and cannot be overridden.
Then I edited the test topic and inserted that text using bold and color:

Code: Select all

[b][color=#BF0000]The attachment’s file size is too large, the maximum upload size is 2 MB.
Please note this is set in php.ini and cannot be overridden.[/color][/b]
When submitting the edited post I got this notice:
The specified search backend doesn’t exist.

naderman
Consultant
Consultant

Post by naderman » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:10 am

Stoker 4.0 wrote:I would have to pay 60 USD if I wanted 1 of my boards on forumatic. Thats more than I pay for my entire quad core, 16 gb ram root server.
Indeed, the goal is simply different. If you would like to work on your board yourself, MOD it etc. then it's certainly the better option to go with traditional hosting which might be cheaper.

If on the other hand you would rather not spend any time maintaining your forum and simply use it, then Forumatic will be the better option. You pay more than for plain hosting, because you also pay us to keep your board up to date. This means you will have less work with your Forum, and more time to do other things, but it also means that you can't do everything you could do on traditional hosting (e.g. install your own MODs). Forumatic will however be offering 3.1 extensions as they become available, so we will offer additional non-standard features.

naderman
Consultant
Consultant

Post by naderman » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:12 am

Stoker 4.0 wrote:EDIT:
When testing the upload function I got this message:
The attachment’s file size is too large, the maximum upload size is 2 MB.
Please note this is set in php.ini and cannot be overridden.
Then I edited the test topic and inserted that text using bold and color:

Code: Select all

[b][color=#BF0000]The attachment’s file size is too large, the maximum upload size is 2 MB.
Please note this is set in php.ini and cannot be overridden.[/color][/b]
When submitting the edited post I got this notice:
The specified search backend doesn’t exist.
Please post this on the Forumatic support forum at http://support.forumatic.com/ I'll try and get back to you as soon as possible.

The search backend problem has already been fixed just now, very sorry for that inconvenience. There are still a couple of quirks as with any new service, but we're fixing them as quickly as we can.

FoFa
Name: Daniel L.

Post by FoFa » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:12 am

Hi,

Thanks for answering and adding French language.

I'll continue support asks on Forumatic community :wink:

Regards,

xxx
Formly ForumsFaciles :wink:

Elias
Name: Elias

Post by Elias » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:30 am

/a3 wrote:Anyway, not the slightest bit interested in your business ventures.
Sucks to say but i agree.
/a3 wrote:Why isn't phpBB promoting other forum hosting platforms like Forumotion?
Answer given was:
naderman wrote:They don't contribute back to phpBB.
Sure they do..
I can answer that with your own answer:
Marshalrusty wrote: The vast majority of users do not have time or the skills to properly maintain their installation, which is why we see so many "one-click installers" with the ability to, often improperly, install and update popular software like phpBB. Forumatic solves this problem by offering a fully maintained option to users who just want a forum without any hassles.
Not only their service is free but they offer customization and/or MODs and they do update the phpBB software for their users when it is available.

I feel this was created because you guys just can and used the phpBB's community to get it advertised.
No offense guys..just my opinion.

Thanks
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|

callumacrae
Former Team Member
Name: Callum Macrae

Post by callumacrae » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:34 am

Elias wrote:
/a3 wrote:Why isn't phpBB promoting other forum hosting platforms like Forumotion?
Answer given was:
Sure they do..
Marshalrusty wrote: The vast majority of users do not have time or the skills to properly maintain their installation, which is why we see so many "one-click installers" with the ability to, often improperly, install and update popular software like phpBB. Forumatic solves this problem by offering a fully maintained option to users who just want a forum without any hassles.
Not only their service is free but they offer customization and/or MODs and they do update the phpBB software for their users when it is available.

I feel this was created because you guys just can and used the phpBB's community to get it advertised.

Thanks
He meant contributing code
macr.ae = my website. you probably won't like it.
Proud user ofProud user of

Ger
Recognised Extension Developer

Post by Ger » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:46 am

I like this idea. I proposed some kind of simple business model some years ago, but you've taken a quite better approach. Good job!

I think the phpBB community will benefit from this. Getting income to hire a full-time developer (or maybe multiple full-time developers) will speed up the overall development of phpBB.

Good job!
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:
-Available for custom work-

Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:55 pm

Elias wrote:
I may be wrong, but I presumed that /a3 meant this in a good way. After allegations of cronyism and conflict of interest in that other topic, I took his comment as a dismissal of those complaints.
Elias wrote:
Answer given was:
Sure they do..

How is that contributing back to the phpBB community? It helps people who want to start boards, but not the phpBB community. Unless they pay advertising fees, what are they giving back to phpBB? (Not that they're under any obligation to give anything back, phpBB being Open Source and all.)

By the way, if somebody decides to move from Forumatic to another host, will Forumatic allow people to take their databases? Just curious.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:02 pm

Pony99CA wrote:By the way, if somebody decides to move from Forumatic to another host, will Forumatic allow people to take their databases? Just curious.
Yes
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)

Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:04 pm

naderman wrote:
Stoker 4.0 wrote:I would have to pay 60 USD if I wanted 1 of my boards on forumatic. Thats more than I pay for my entire quad core, 16 gb ram root server.
Indeed, the goal is simply different. If you would like to work on your board yourself, MOD it etc. then it's certainly the better option to go with traditional hosting which might be cheaper.
No doubt you may well be able to lower your prices when you get more paying subscribers.
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog

naderman
Consultant
Consultant

Post by naderman » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:34 pm

Dog Cow wrote:
naderman wrote:
No doubt you may well be able to lower your prices when you get more paying subscribers.
We will certainly keep reviewing our prices as the service grows.

yuritenshi

Post by yuritenshi » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:30 am

Ger wrote:I think the phpBB community will benefit from this. Getting income to hire a full-time developer (or maybe multiple full-time developers) will speed up the overall development of phpBB.
Let's just say you can find developers willing to work on phpBB full time for the low price of $40,000 USD a year including the cost of benefits.

So the question is, how many users on this service would it take to cover that cost (assuming zero overhead).

$40,000/12m = $3,333/m

At a 50% margin, which is extremely generous, but potentially possible depending on the cost structure:
If the average revenue per user is $12: 556 users
If the average revenue per user is $25: 267 users
If the average revenue per user is $40: 167 users

At a 30% margin, which is more realistic in a real business setting (in the IT field at least):
If the average revenue per user is $12: 926 users
If the average revenue per user is $25: 445 users
If the average revenue per user is $40: 278 users

Of course there are dozens of other factors, but in a small web-based hosting start-up they should generally be small enough that we can ignore them for this simple example.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”