Fatal error, need help!

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
bbchris2nd

Fatal error, need help!

Post by bbchris2nd » Sun May 06, 2012 8:00 am

Hi guys,

I'm getting this error after I added hundreds of IP address to block. Need your help badly.

Code: Select all

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 62914560 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 3248186 bytes) in /home/carmenan/public_html/forum/includes/acm/acm_file.php on line 688

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Re: Fatal error, need help!

Post by Marshalrusty » Sun May 06, 2012 9:24 am

Moving to Support Forum from Discussion

The error message specifies the exact problem. Your hosting company limits the amount of memory that php can use (in this case, to 3MB), and the script has run over. acm_file.php has to do with phpBB's file based caching system, and building said cache is definitely one of the more resource intensive operations. Having said that, 3MB is quite a low limit.

You may be able to temporarily solve this problem by adding the following to the top of the file (just below <?php)

ini_set("memory_limit","64M");
You should, however, contact your hosting company and ask them what to do about this in the long term. Incidentally, who are you hosted with?
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

bbchris2nd

Post by bbchris2nd » Sun May 06, 2012 12:10 pm

Hi Marshalrusty,

I tried what you suggested me to add the code but still having the same error message. Is there any other ways while waiting for the response of my provider?

CaNNon_

Post by CaNNon_ » Sun May 06, 2012 7:18 pm

Some hosts alow this to be changed in apache with .htaccess use:

php_value memory_limit 64M
You should also try both ways with lower limits as the host may have a maxium set.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Sun May 06, 2012 7:36 pm

Or, since IP blocking is a total waste of time in suppressing spam registrations, you can read this and stop them forever with no banning - http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=2122696
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

D¡cky
Former Team Member
Name: Richard Foote

Post by D¡cky » Sun May 06, 2012 8:23 pm

phpBB will bog down and cause errors if there are a lot of entries in the ban list. As stevemaury said, banning IP's is usually a waste of time as spambots will just get a new ip when one of theirs is blocked. If you insist on blocking IP's and there are a lot you want to block, you are better off to use .htaccess to block IP's rather than the phpBB banlist.
Have you hugged someone today?

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”