Search and Move functions

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Ideas Centre
muppo

Search and Move functions

Post by muppo »

Hi

I am aware of the two types of search that can be performed either via the search box/advanced search option or via the moderator control board.

However the really annoying thing is you have to click into a post (if you use the search box function) in order to move it (therefore making it HUGELY timeconsuming). You're in/out of every post in order to move it to a sub folder OR if you use the moderator board index, you cant perform a 'search' function but have to read every title on every page then click them in order to move them.

Why or why is there not a search function and then the results all have a tick box next to them in order to do one bulk move?

We run a forum for people with a very rare chronic illness and it takes a huge amount of time and effort to maintain this site. We have a lot of archive areas for people to read through but to keep these populated takes days on end because of my above mentioned issues.

If someone knows of a work around or if a release will be done to address this - I could be most grateful to hear about it.

Thanks
Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Re: Search and Move functions

Post by Pony99CA »

I would go so far as to say that every post should have a check box next to it (if you're a moderator, at least) to allow applying actions to. The same would be true of every topic in the forum view and search view. But that would probably be a lot of work.

I can't imagine that clicking a post is "HUGELY timeconsuming", though. It would only be a pain if you were moving more than a dozen or so posts at once. Or, depending on how you do things, maybe you should be moving topics instead of posts.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Pony99CA wrote:I would go so far as to say that every post should have a check box next to it (if you're a moderator, at least) to allow applying actions to. The same would be true of every topic in the forum view and search view. But that would probably be a lot of work.
Well, that is about the effect you get already when you click the MCP link from viewtopic or viewforum -- you see the current topic or forum with checkboxes next to the posts or topics.

It would be nasty in Search-view though. You would have to check every single post to see if you can moderate it, as well as read it.
Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

Brf wrote:It would be nasty in Search-view though. You would have to check every single post to see if you can moderate it, as well as read it.
The system would have to check that. If the user couldn't moderate the post, there wouldn't be a check box next to it.

But the point about reading the post is interesting. As search only returns a snippet of the posts' text (in general), you may still have to read more of the post to determine if it should be moved.

Steve
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

When I said "you", I meant the PHP code that is being changed. "You" is the developer and his PHP code.
muppo

Post by muppo »

Pony99CA wrote:
I can't imagine that clicking a post is "HUGELY timeconsuming", though. It would only be a pain if you were moving more than a dozen or so posts at once. Or, depending on how you do things, maybe you should be moving topics instead of posts.

Steve
I dont need you to tell me you find it hard to imagine that it is HUGELY time-consuming - I have about 70 PAGES worth of stuff that needs to be moved so you can consider that HUGELY time-consuming indeed.

If I use the search function to look for drug types in the post heading, it will bring back a list. There is no way to do a bulk move so therefore - as previously mentioned - I have to click into EVERY topic/post in order to move it to the relevant sub-folders.

If I use the moderator control panel, it will bring up check-boxes next to every post. So that way only leaves me with the option of reading page and after page hoping that I catch the name of drug in the title and then moving them. That could be 1 or 10 per page, who knows, but because the search function cannot be used inside the moderator control panel (or if it can, I dont know how to do it), it is another HUGELY time-consuming task.

If there is away around either of these two options which allows me to perform a search and then move multiple items at once, this would be massively helpful and I would welcome learning how.

Many thanks for any helpful input.

Cheers :D
Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA »

muppo wrote:
Pony99CA wrote: I can't imagine that clicking a post is "HUGELY timeconsuming", though. It would only be a pain if you were moving more than a dozen or so posts at once. Or, depending on how you do things, maybe you should be moving topics instead of posts.
I dont need you to tell me you find it hard to imagine that it is HUGELY time-consuming - I have about 70 PAGES worth of stuff that needs to be moved so you can consider that HUGELY time-consuming indeed.
First, thanks for ignoring where I actually supported your suggestion. Maybe you didn't consider that "helpful" input, though.

Second, 70 pages of posts is more than a dozen posts, isn't it? If you want to blame somebody for my disbelief, blame the author of the first post for not outlining the scope of the problem. ;)

Finally, did you notice my other suggestion? Maybe instead of searching for posts with the drug name in the title, you could search for topics with the drug name in the title and move those topics (or, using the MCP, all of the posts in those topics) to your archive (that depends on how your archive is structured).

It's not a fix, but it may save you time. I think that would at least count as "helpful" input.

By the way, I believe that vBulletin does something similar, so it's certainly not without precedent.

Steve
muppo

Post by muppo »

Hi

I didnt appreciate you starting the topic by being sarcastic to me about how long things were taking hence my reaction and yes I did appreciate your suggestions afterwards. The scope of my problem was perfectly outlined in my first post. If I only had less than a dozen things to move - I wouldnt be here asking! :?

I dont know how to do everything hence posting and there is always a sarcy comment from someone.

Anyway - your suggestion of searching by topic as opposed to post has been very helpful and I have just started to use it. So thank you kindly.

8-)
Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 »

muppo wrote: The scope of my problem was perfectly outlined in my first post.
No it wasn't, you made no mention of quantities.
muppo wrote:If I only had less than a dozen things to move - I wouldnt be here asking!
You'd probably be surprised by the number of unrealistic requests that are made.

In any case, search is your friend: Re: Need mod that can search topics/posts in Mod panel..
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Requests”