phpBB vs. vBulletin

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
darksminky

Re: phpBB vs. vBulletin

Post by darksminky » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:08 pm

pretty much every argument so far will be handled by 3.1, even plugins and looking "web 2.0" (which means almost literally nothing. In fact, the oatmeal pointed out web 2.0 as one of the 6 worst parts of the internet, and I find that I can't agree more. Web 2.0 frequently just convolutes its coder's work )

imkingdavid
Former Team Member
Name: David King

Post by imkingdavid » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:09 pm

Unknown Bliss wrote:They also seem to have tried to copy the look of MyBB and mixed it in with XenForo's layout.
Actually, vBulletin and MyBB have had a very similar look for quite some time. When I was originally browsing the different forum software options, this is something I noticed quite early on. From what I can remember, though I may be wrong, MyBB came after vBulletin, and therefore copied vBulletin's look.

Anyway, I just went to vBulletin.com to see what the Beta was like. I have to say that I hope they aren't running their Beta on their main site. If they are, that shows that they either have a crappy server or overly bloated software package, though I'm guessing the latter. Their features page itself took 10.21 seconds on the first load and ~2 seconds on all subsequent loads.
Don't forget to smile today. :)
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:59 am

Really harsh, guys. Maybe they are just having a lot of traffic and that's why their web pages are loading slowly. :cry:

About the new version: looks like they've got a new company name (no more Internet Brands) and a new focus.
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog

MichaelC
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Michael Cullum

Post by MichaelC » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:56 am

Dog Cow wrote:Really harsh, guys. Maybe they are just having a lot of traffic and that's why their web pages are loading slowly. :cry:

About the new version: looks like they've got a new company name (no more Internet Brands) and a new focus.
If the software can't stand up to high amounts of traffic then its useless for large forums? That would be even worse; it would be better for vB if it is just beta bugs.
:)
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss.
Formerly Website Team Lead/Manager & Development Team.
Please don't PM me for support (or stuff that belongs in the forums or tracker) but otherwise feel free

Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:02 am

Unknown Bliss wrote:
Dog Cow wrote:Really harsh, guys. Maybe they are just having a lot of traffic and that's why their web pages are loading slowly. :cry:

If the software can't stand up to high amounts of traffic then its useless for large forums?
Maybe they aren't targeting the rather small group of large forums anymore? (or a server misconfiguration, that can even grind a stable package to a hold ;))
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:27 pm

Dog Cow wrote:Really harsh, guys.
Harsh what? Do you really think we should be saying no VB is brilliant, they are having issues so wait a day or two until they fix their site or software?
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

wGEric
Former Team Member
Name: Eric Faerber

Post by wGEric » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:27 pm

When phpBB added SSL to this site it was very slow. That must mean that phpBB can't handle large forums right?
Eric

Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:11 pm

Unknown Bliss wrote: If the software can't stand up to high amounts of traffic then its useless for large forums? That would be even worse; it would be better for vB if it is just beta bugs.
Or maybe so many people are interested in vB 5 that they can't handle a temporary spike in volume. ;)

Many eCommerce sites go down during big sales and smaller sites go down after getting slashdotted. Does that mean that they are useless for large (but not really large) traffic?
wGEric wrote:When phpBB added SSL to this site it was very slow. That must mean that phpBB can't handle large forums right?
Yeah, I'm still getting certificate errors every time that I try to access this site or Area51 at work.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

HGN
Former Team Member
Name: Alfred

Post by HGN » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:52 am

wGEric wrote:When phpBB added SSL to this site it was very slow. That must mean that phpBB can't handle large forums right?
Yes, that would probably be the impression of the visitors of the board/site. It certainly is bad advertisement, so should be dealt with quickly.
Pony99CA wrote:Yeah, I'm still getting certificate errors every time that I try to access this site or Area51 at work.
The problem seems to be that you are the only one (or maybe amongst a very few) noticing this behaviour.

Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:16 pm

Erik Frèrejean wrote:
Unknown Bliss wrote:

If the software can't stand up to high amounts of traffic then its useless for large forums?
Maybe they aren't targeting the rather small group of large forums anymore?
Especially since those large forums tend to be in-house productions.

Last time I checked, there's no forum system on the market that can scale horizontally across many machines. That is to say, the forum software is designed to handle unlimited posts or users simply by adding more servers.
Mick wrote:
Dog Cow wrote:Really harsh, guys.
Harsh what? Do you really think we should be saying no VB is brilliant, they are having issues so wait a day or two until they fix their site or software?
Sure, that would be the generous thing to do; give them benefit of the doubt.
Moof!
Mac GUI Vault: Retro Apple II & Macintosh computing archive.
Inside Allerton bookMac GUIMac 512K Blog

Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:16 am

Well, you don't have to say that vBulletin is "brilliant", but giving them the benefit of the doubt isn't unreasonable.

It will be interesting to see how perfect phpBB 3.1 is when it comes out. ;)

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

thebasketballnation

Post by thebasketballnation » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:02 pm

vBulletin 3x & 4x is my favorite out of all forums currently.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:16 pm

thebasketballnation wrote:vBulletin 3x & 4x is my favorite out of all forums currently.
I have to ask.... what are you doing here and using phpbb if vb is your favorite?
and just for the hell of it, what is it about vb that you find better than phpbb?

ok... we're ready....get out the fire suits.....

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

thebasketballnation

Post by thebasketballnation » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:07 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
thebasketballnation wrote:vBulletin 3x & 4x is my favorite out of all forums currently.
I have to ask.... what are you doing here and using phpbb if vb is your favorite?
and just for the hell of it, what is it about vb that you find better than phpbb?

robert
Can I not post on phpBB forums even if I like a different software better? I am using these forums as intended by the rules as 'support'. Some of my clients run phpBB and I manage their websites and I would like to get clarification for issues I do not know how to handle from here.

In general, vBulletin is better than phpBB.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:19 pm

thebasketballnation wrote:
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:

robert
Can I not post on phpBB forums even if I like a different software better? I am using these forums as intended by the rules as 'support'. Some of my clients run phpBB and I manage their websites and I would like to get clarification for issues I do not know how to handle from here.

In general, vBulletin is better than phpBB.
of course you can get support for phpbb here. however, other than your one or two support questions you seem to be only asking about comparing other software to phpbb. in the first place this is not the place to ask those questions since you can't possibly expect an unbiased answer.

and second, you then state that you like other software better than phpbb so what do you expect to hear here.

and "In general, vBulletin is better than phpBB" is so completely subjective that it is laughable.

you can certainly say that you like it better but you can not state as a fact, that is is better any more than you can state that phpbb is better than vb as a fact.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Return to “phpBB Discussion”