Why there isnt atleast beta version of 3.1??

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
tbackoff
Former Team Member
Name: Tabitha Backoff

Re: Why there isnt atleast beta version of 3.1??

Post by tbackoff » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:11 pm

uuiiuu wrote:Because even though phpbb is so qwsome, the 3.0.x cant compete with the new system, that has lots of features and tons of javascript, phpbb has great interface & great security, but its missing some very basic features that ive read will be on phpBB 3.1
In the few years I've been here, I've yet to see someone publish a list from a reputable source that states "all forum software must contain this", yet people still claim "phpBB is missing this basic feature". I will agree that phpBB can be improved, but I definitly don't think it's far off from what a forum solution should do (bring people together to converse). ;)
uuiiuu wrote:other systems release new version everu mounth, even for a small change
phpBB has never released a new version just because some other software has. Releases are made when they make sense, whether it be a small bug fix update or a feature release. Can you imagine the support increase if phpBB released a new version every month?
Flying is the second best thrill to cheerleaders; being caught is the first.

brunoais
QA Team

Post by brunoais » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:17 pm

t_backoff wrote:
uuiiuu wrote:other systems release new version everu mounth, even for a small change
phpBB has never released a new version just because some other software has. Releases are made when they make sense, whether it be a small bug fix update or a feature release. Can you imagine the support increase if phpBB released a new version every month?
It would be awful, unbearable, etc...
I'd prefer to have a new version every year with a "what we've got" and then we would use a version number that reflects how much it has changed.
w.x.y.z to w.x.y.z+1 -> Minimal: Bug fixes, mostly
w.x.y.z to w.x.y+1.z -> Small changes: Small changes for the system. Probably nothing will break. If something breaks, it's easy to fix (in >99% of the times) (Ex: A new permission)
w.x.y.z to w.x+1.y.z -> Big changes: There are changes that heavy alter the behavior of phpBB. Lots of things will stop working as they were even though most of (or all) the interface is backwards compatible. (Ex: Including symphony)
w.x.y.z to w+1.x.y.z -> Huge changes: Forget backwards compatibility! This stuff is new stuff live with it. Everything that existed no longer exists for this new system. (Ex: The phpBB 4 as it is currently thought)

Pony99CA
Name: Steve

Post by Pony99CA » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:04 pm

uuiiuu wrote:theres an article from 2010 speaking about 3.1, and til today we barerly saw something, so is 3.1 going to come out till the end of 2012? is it going to be 2013? is it going to be in the next few years?
who knows?
other systems release new version everu mounth, even for a small change, and here it it has been 5 years sense the release of phpBB 3, and all we had is ten small upgrades, and we didnt see any new features from 3.0.6.

i know that phpBB is a voulenteer project, but if they dont have time to develog it, dont keep as hanging!
Let's not turn this into yet another topic complaining how slow phpBB development is. :( You were told why there wasn't a Beta version of phpBB 3.1 out (which is what the Subject of the topic is about), so the ball's in your court. Either wait or switch to Xenforo.

If you want to speed up the development of 3.1, you can also help write some code/patches. If you can't do that, that's fine but complaining won't help.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Pony99CA

Post by Pony99CA » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:17 pm

brunoais wrote:I'd prefer to have a new version every year with a "what we've got" and then we would use a version number that reflects how much it has changed.
w.x.y.z to w.x.y.z+1 -> Minimal: Bug fixes, mostly
w.x.y.z to w.x.y+1.z -> Small changes: Small changes for the system. Probably nothing will break. If something breaks, it's easy to fix (in >99% of the times) (Ex: A new permission)
w.x.y.z to w.x+1.y.z -> Big changes: There are changes that heavy alter the behavior of phpBB. Lots of things will stop working as they were even though most of (or all) the interface is backwards compatible. (Ex: Including symphony)
w.x.y.z to w+1.x.y.z -> Huge changes: Forget backwards compatibility! This stuff is new stuff live with it. Everything that existed no longer exists for this new system. (Ex: The phpBB 4 as it is currently thought)
Please don't make up a new version numbering system; there's already a phpBB version numbering system.

It's basically x.y.z PL-a where:
  • a only changes for security fixes; you won't see PL otherwise
  • z changes for maintenance releases, basically bug fixes, improvements and very minor changes
  • y changes for feature releases containing many new features
  • x changes for incompatible new versions (incompatible refers generally to MODs not working because the code base/architecture has significantly changed; it does not mean "Everything that existed no longer exists" as the features the board has will probably still be similar to the previous version)
That's similar to your system, but not the same.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC (http://www.svpocketpc.com)
Creator of manage_bots and spoof_user (ask me)
Need hosting for a small forum with full cPanel & MySQL access? Contact me or PM me.

Malphas

Post by Malphas » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:13 am

wGEric wrote:
uuiiuu wrote:so my question is, how much more time are we going to wait?
It took about 1.5 years for 3.0 to go from beta to gold release. So if they do a similar length of testing the gold release will probably be released within 1.5 to 2 years. But of course this all depends on when they release a beta.

My suggestion would be to switch if you need something now. In two years you can choose to switch back. If phpBB was in beta or RC then I would tell you to wait but at this point you are probably better of switching to whatever will fit your needs instead of waiting for phpBB.
Agreed. I would take the "few more months" sentiment with a pinch of salt, development has been notoriously slow for a long time now, and the "it's done when it's done" attitude doesn't inspire much confidence. I made the mistake of waiting for phpBB to release new versions before, thinking they'd be coming along shortly, only to wait years, this time I haven't and have now switched to XenForo (after some deliberation and the lengthy discussion on development that took place a while ago). Hopefully phpBB picks up again sometime in the future, at which point I may switch back, which is why I still follow phpBB development.

But yeah, in summary if you feel phpBB is becoming too outdated to use then start looking at alternatives rather than hoping for a new release soon, because there doesn't appear to be any sort of timescale for when that will happen. You can always switch back at a later date.

Christian 2.0
Former Team Member
Name: Christian

Post by Christian 2.0 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:52 pm

t_backoff wrote:In the few years I've been here, I've yet to see someone publish a list from a reputable source that states "all forum software must contain this", yet people still claim "phpBB is missing this basic feature".
Nobody has published such a list, because one doesn't exist ;) . There are however web trends (or whatever you want to refer to "keeping up with the times" as), many of which (as you know) were well documented in the 30+ page "phpbb falling behind?" topic recently. ;)

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:30 am

I split off the posts about Forumatic into the announcement discussion topic.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

noth

Post by noth » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:41 pm

Agreed. I would take the "few more months" sentiment with a pinch of salt, development has been notoriously slow for a long time now, and the "it's done when it's done" attitude doesn't inspire much confidence.
the "it's done when it's done" attitude is reality, instead of moaning on about how disappointed you are, how about telling us what you've done to HELP?
I made the mistake of waiting for phpBB to release new versions before, thinking they'd be coming along shortly, only to wait years, this time I haven't and have now switched to XenForo
excellent, go there and stay there, at least we won't have to hear you pining for something better
Hopefully phpBB picks up again sometime in the future, at which point I may switch back, which is why I still follow phpBB development.
don't do us any favours
But yeah, in summary if you feel phpBB is becoming too outdated to use then start looking at alternatives rather than hoping for a new release soon, because there doesn't appear to be any sort of timescale for when that will happen. You can always switch back at a later date.
we need your advice that if we feel phpBB is becoming too outdated start looking at alternatives? BRILLIANT, what other advice have you got up your sleeve? :?

The millions of phpBB boards out there are operating fine, they have admins who aspire for this mod or that mod, who look for the next version, but what do their users want? their users want communication, they want discussion and MAYBE they want chat and private messages after that, they could care less if the software is 3.0 or 3,1 :geek:

it is people like you, admins like us who put such importance on versions, updates and "features" when in fact the real users simply want a big community - a safe place to diiscuss their issues and 3.0 is fine for that for the majority of users out there

Malphas

Post by Malphas » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:10 pm

The guy was asking for advice, he mentioned he was considering switching to Xenforo but wanted to know if it was worth hanging in to see what 3.1 brings. My answer was appropriate and based on my own experience and phpBB's development history. It's your problem if you want to take that as some sort of personal insult. I don't know in what way you're connected to phpBB, but I really hope your unprofessional and juvenile attitude isn't shared more widely.

master412160
Name: Max Pen

Post by master412160 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:05 pm

I wonder which mods will still work without being updated to work with 3.1. :?:

Example of a mod that might work just fine?

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/users_notes

Small mods may work fine I hope like the one above.

But I'm not sure so I hope someone can confirm this will be true or false.

EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:12 am

It completely depends on each mod. If it requires an edit somewhere that the code was changed in 3.1, it may not work without updates. A lot of things were updated in a lot of different places, there is really no single way to identify mods which might work and which might not (although larger ones with many edits are most certainly not likely to work).

randomessence

Post by randomessence » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:03 am

http://www.screenmedia.co.uk/blog/2011/ ... -you-ready

http://www.smartinsights.com/mobile-mar ... tatistics/

Maybe it is just me, but is seems that a major shift in the way people engage with the internet speaks for itself in terms of what sort of features should be included and how a phpbb platform can be integrated with other products.

aside from that i would still like to see what 3.1 will look and feel like a decent time ahead of release without having to join some developer community (press releases? generating some kind of interest?).

MichaelC
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Michael Cullum

Post by MichaelC » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:22 pm

randomessence wrote:http://www.screenmedia.co.uk/blog/2011/ ... -you-ready

http://www.smartinsights.com/mobile-mar ... tatistics/

Maybe it is just me, but is seems that a major shift in the way people engage with the internet speaks for itself in terms of what sort of features should be included and how a phpbb platform can be integrated with other products.

aside from that i would still like to see what 3.1 will look and feel like a decent time ahead of release without having to join some developer community (press releases? generating some kind of interest?).
You can register to the QA mailing list (http://code.phpbb.com/mailman/listinfo/phpbb-qa) then you will receive emails for Alpha, Beta and RC releases - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_r ... life_cycle

However these are not recommended for production environments as they are not yet stable.
:)
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss.
Formerly Website Team Lead/Manager & Development Team.
Please don't PM me for support (or stuff that belongs in the forums or tracker) but otherwise feel free

digitaltoast

Post by digitaltoast » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:18 pm

MichaelC wrote:You can register to the QA mailing list (http://code.phpbb.com/mailman/listinfo/phpbb-qa) then you will receive emails for Alpha, Beta and RC releases
Really? I've had nothing for over a year.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:17 pm

The Alpha-2 version is out. https://area51.phpbb.com/downloads/
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Return to “phpBB Discussion”