Copyright - dealing with parasites

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
DenFhF

Copyright - dealing with parasites

Post by DenFhF » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:37 pm

I run a discussion forum and one of our members has recently started his own forum and basically plaguried 95% of my subforums, he hasnet even bothered to try mix them around they are almost in the the exact same order.

He is running pphBB on freeforum hosting, this is the host, http://www.forumotion.com/, so Im guessing I have to take the complaint to forumotion?

I believe hes in breach of copyright and Ive written him a letter asking him to cease and desist but hes not co-operating, so I have to take this matter further.

The most annoying this is he actually doesnt even practice the hobby we are discussing, and he copies all his material from other forums as well, hes a complete parasite.

Can anyone suggest whats the best action to take?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Re: Copyright - dealing with parasites

Post by EXreaction » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:34 pm

You should try contacting his host on the matter.

DionDesigns

Post by DionDesigns » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:45 pm

The company that owns the forumotion brand name, eToxic, has a history of turning a blind eye towards forumotion board owners who steal content from other sites.

I'd suggest using the contact form on the site in my link above, and hoping for the best. Do not bother trying to get this resolved through their forumotion-based sites, because you will be sent to http://www.forumotion.com/en/litigation which is a black hole (automated responses, no actions ever taken).

DenFhF

Post by DenFhF » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:15 pm

OK thanks for the advice.

junvalasek

Post by junvalasek » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:08 am

There are always shameless people around... Contact his host and see himself wasting time after his site is disabled..

MrOldies

Post by MrOldies » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:38 am

Do you understand what copyright is? I don't think so.
Because it is on your site, you own the copyright.
WRONG!
The person who owns the copyright is the person who authored the material.
However, certain things are never granted a copyright. Because the material is so commonly used.
To have any legal clout, you need to file a registration form with the copyright office for protection.
Have you done that?
And who is to say that, "Hey, you stole it from me!", is a good defense?

The copyright notice at the bottom of the page most likely pertains to the material used by PHPBB.
NOT your personal conent.

RMcGirr83
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:23 am

MrOldies wrote:The copyright notice at the bottom of the page most likely pertains to the material used by PHPBB.
NOT your personal conent.
It pertains to the code in use to view the content.
In times of change, learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists - Eric Hoffer
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer
All requests for support via PM will be ignored

RonC
Name: Ron Cripps

Post by RonC » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:48 am

Hi

I had the same issue with some site content the was used word for word 15 pages in total including all images and links that were in the content.

The guy who did this just did a copy and paste straight from my website to his without changing a single word.

I contacted him personally and he told me that their was nothing I could do about it and to suck it up. However he was wrong, and after some research I used the Google DMCA complaints form you can find it here.

https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/dmca-dashboard (You Need To Have A Google Account To Get Access)

Not only did I get an apology from the webmaster I was also contacted by his hosting company who immediately suspended his account.

To say the least I was very surprised that Google took action so fast I think it was about three weeks and all the content was gone and so was his website.

However before filing a DMCA make sure you do own the information or software you are claiming or this could backfire on you very quickly.

Hope This Helps.

Fridge
Name: Martin

Post by Fridge » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:11 am

alibpl wrote:95% people on net are not aware what is copyright actually. Writing an article on your blog or website does'nt means it is copyright, till u register the content to be copyrighted and for that all u have to pay fees amount and submit the copy of article to be copyrighted then after u can file complain.
Have you ever heard of intellectual ownership?

/a3

Post by /a3 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:46 pm

Fridge wrote:Have you ever heard of intellectual ownership?
It's a vague meaningless term that puts a whole heap of unrelated laws under one name.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:54 am

alibpl wrote:95% people on net are not aware what is copyright actually. Writing an article on your blog or website does'nt means it is copyright, till u register the content to be copyrighted and for that all u have to pay fees amount and submit the copy of article to be copyrighted then after u can file complain.

If you are too much concerned for your article , someone said a very good line " Dont post your article on any public area , your content remain safe "

You will waste your energy without getting your content registered in Copyright Department.
don't know about the laws in india but in ther us as soon as you create/publish it , it is copyrighted. you do not have to file any papers or pay any fees etc or even post that it is copyright to you etc..
now, if you do choose to file the papers and pay the fees then you will have a much better chance of defending that copyright if the need should arise.

robert

seedism
Name: Peter Hamilton

Post by seedism » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:03 pm

First thing you should do is report the site to google.

http://support.google.com/sites/bin/ans ... wer=116262

Previous link goes to their page on how to deal with copyright etc.

Then search for a similar option on Yahoo and report them there as well.

Then you contact their host with an email stating your complaint, make sure to include as much details as possible but keep it brief at the same time.

Make sure to "cc" this email to google, yahoo and everybody else you can think of.

By adding these cc's you show them that you are taking this serious and will do everything in your power to stop this rip-off forum.

Contact the members/authors of the text he stole and let them know what you are doing about it, this way you can gain their trust and loyalty to ensure their future publications to be safe.

Good luck with this.

P.H.

/a3

Post by /a3 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:09 am

seedism wrote:By adding these cc's you show them that you are taking this serious and will do everything in your power to stop this rip-off forum.

Contact the members/authors of the text he stole and let them know what you are doing about it, this way you can gain their trust and loyalty to ensure their future publications to be safe.
The OP posted in July and hasn't visited since August so he/she probably isn't looking for advice any more.

With regards to the OP:
DenFhF wrote:I run a discussion forum and one of our members has recently started his own forum and basically plaguried 95% of my subforums, he hasnet even bothered to try mix them around they are almost in the the exact same order.
Names of subforums are not significant works and are probably not protected by copyright. Posts and forum descriptions might be a different story though.

If the OP does ever return to this topic, I would recommend to not worry about it. In the time spent trying to take someone else's forum down, you could probably improve your own and get more members in the long run.

Would it be worth the time of the phpBB.com admins to go after a forum that had the same forum names listed on the phpBB.com index page? Probably not.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:13 am

I wonder how many normal posts on boards would be considered to be a "work" that could be copyrighted.

I doubt that someone's comment or personal opinion on the subject of a post or a reply to the same would be considered to be something that could be copyright. Dont' know, just a thought.

robert

penwrite

Post by penwrite » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:25 pm

Some of us are using phpbb forum for academic purpose and we have contents developed painstakingly to teach our student members. How best do we protect such content from parasite?
I thought there could be a script to make it tougher to copy and paste from our forums since it is not absolutely possible to prevent copying content on the internet generally.
I look forward to a simple script from the developers of phpbb that can disable right click, disallow highlighting etc.

Return to “General Discussion”